Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Statements » Life Lessons: I was about 15 or 16 years old when I learned (outside the home) a true lesson about one’s work ethic.

Life Lessons: I was about 15 or 16 years old when I learned (outside the home) a true lesson about one’s work ethic.

I worked afternoons at my high school on the janitorial staff, there were about six or eight adult men on the crew, and three or four students like me. We, the students, worked about two hours a day, the adults were either full time or some were part time, I can’t remember. 

This job was not the first one I had ever had outside the home, but other than shoveling snow, mowing lawns, having a paper route, working fast food, it was the first job I had where I was part of a crew like this one. The supervisor was the oldest of us all, he may have been in his late 40s or early 50s, and had worked for the school district for years. The other adults were mostly constant turnover types: they might stick around for a few days, weeks, or months. Some of us, whether adult or student, were diligent and worked, others were apathetic and listless. Either way, we all received a paycheck.

One of the men was about 25 to 30 years old, and took his job seriously. I mean, it wasn’t going to be his life’s work nor his career, but he believed in doing what was right. Every now and then, he’d harangue the supervisor for not knuckling down on the lazy people. He’d ask how was it fair that a lazy person got paid the same wage as a hard worker. The supervisor, perhaps due to the high rate of turnovers, didn’t push anyone to do his fair share. His attitude seemed to be that the money didn’t come from his o pocket, and as long as the work got done, he didn’t care that it was unevenly distributed. Of course, the lazy ones loved the situation; no one pushed them, and they got paid to do next to nothing. 

The one man I mentioned above would take ribbing from the others. Everyone gave him a hard time about why he cared so much. No matter how much he ran his mouth, nothing ever changed. One day, someone asked him pointedly why it was such a big deal to him. His simple explanation hit me like an epiphany. 

“When you take money from a company and don’t do what’s expected of you to earn that money, you’re stealing from the company.  If you don’t want to work, be honest about it, be a man. Stay home, lie about, walk the streets, do nothing, but don’t walk into a workplace just to plop yourself down doing nothing. That’s taking money that you’re not supposed to have.  It’s not a question of how much money a corporation or an industry can afford to throw away, it’s not a question of the bosses being stupid or blind, its not s question of what kind of job it is, it’s a question of your own integrity. If you can truly say every day that you have an honest day’s work, then you deserve an honest day’s pay.”

His words fell on deaf ears, all except mine. The simplicity of it made perfect sense to me. I put myself in the place of the owner, employer, the boss, the manager, the supervisor, and asked myself what would I expect from employees. To me, it only seemed right and fair that working for what you received was the right way to go. I’ve held that ethos for years now. 

~

Posted - October 15, 2019

Responses

I started earning money while in elementary school (which went through eighth grade).  I sewed/hemmed garments, had a knack for hair and I washed/styled women's hair in the their homes on Saturdays.  (That's how I bought the fabric to make my own clothes)  I worked in a department store during Christmas holidays and part of the summer.  In 10th grade I got a job at a movie theater working nights and weekends.  I graduated high school land went right on to a full time job with a utility.  I retired from there very young...after 30 years of service.  Remember I started right out of high school.  The company paid my tuition and I went to college and law school in the evenings while employed.  I never understood people not taking advantage of such a wonderful benefit.  And it's why I have little pity for those who incur $150,000 in student loans.  I do not believe $1 of student loan debt should be erased.     
      October 16, 2019 12:54 AM MDT

Not all folks, including me, have/had the opportunity to work for a company that offers free tuition. Yes, I went to college soon after retiring from the Navy, but the so-called GI bill for veterans didn't even cover tuition for one semester of classes. Consequently, I had to take out school loans to support my family. And I worked part time while going to school. I am not looking for anyone's pity; and I continue to pay my loans regularly. In other words, I take offense to your last two sentences.
      October 16, 2019 7:57 AM MDT

Good Morning~ In my opinion, the disturbing part of your work /school history is the United States did not honor you and your commitment to defending and protecting it. 
    If anyone deserved a free-ticket ride in the schooling area, it is all the people who volunteered, or even drafted, to make sure we have the free country we do today.
    Thank you for your service and continuing to better yourself to support your family.
    You are one of the elite.
    I'm sorry you are still having to pay your student loans and any loans your children may have needed to further their education.  You deserve to be treated better than this, for sure.
      October 16, 2019 8:08 AM MDT

I can't imagine why you take offense at holding debtors responsible for paying their debts.   
      October 16, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

I have already paid double the initial principal over the past 30 years. I could use a break.
      October 16, 2019 3:53 PM MDT

It is good to hear a success story. I see too many , including three of my siblings, who could have used that advice. I never had anyone tell me that, but somehow I already knew. It might have been seeing my mother struggle and work her butt off to take care of the 6 of us. At the time, there were few options for me...college was out, no scholarships for non-jocks. So the only thing left was for me to avoid the draft by joining the Navy. Best thing I ever did. Thanks for your story, I hope others here read it.
      October 16, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

THEN WHY are you supporting a MAN LIKE TRUMP on ANY ANSWER?  HUH??????

IF you hold the points in your remarks up there SO DEAR?  WHY OH WHY DO YOU EVER DEFEND ANYTHING ABOUT HIM?  WHY?

Why are you not as offended as I am?  WHY?

You can be a hypocrite in more than actions.  You can be a perfectly sound actor on your integrity stage, but when you SUPPORT SOMEONE WHO IS THE ANTITHESIS OF YOUR AVOWED PATH?   

Even YOU can see the dichotomy.

I work harder than ANYONE and I never stole a dime of time from any company by the way.  If I am there and there is NO WORK?  SHAME ON THEM.  NOT ME.  They are wasting MY TIME not vice-versa.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 16, 2019 8:15 AM MDT
      October 16, 2019 8:13 AM MDT

I'm not sure how or why you inserted trump into his comment.
      October 16, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

I'm not sure why you are asking.  Because he gets in MY Face about it and then talks about how important a work ethic is.  OKAY?
      October 16, 2019 8:17 AM MDT

October 16, 2019 8:19 AM MDT

Trump wants to forgive veterans' student loans.
      October 16, 2019 10:35 PM MDT

Are you for or against that?
      October 17, 2019 10:56 AM MDT

I said it in response to Shar.  But no, I don't think all veterans' loans should be wiped.  

I am curious why the GI bill didn't work for you.  I knew guys who were in Viet Nam who came back and went to school on the GI bill.  I also know people who have finished their term of service in the past decade and have gone on to school on the government's dollar.  I don't know if it's still called the GI bill.  It may have actually been a lump sum of money to do with as they please.....I'm not sure. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 18, 2019 11:27 AM MDT
      October 18, 2019 11:24 AM MDT

She has Trump on the brain, she inserts him into everything.  She's best ignored when she rants like that, her starvation for attention will implode on her if no one pays attention to her soap-boxing, it may even give her an ulcer.
    ~
      October 16, 2019 10:34 PM MDT

I'm not sure if it was a lesson.  I think it was bred into me. ;) ;) 

Both my parents worked extremely hard to make sure my sister and I lived in good neighborhoods, went to great public schools, etc.  My dad used to have a bill box he took out every month and showed us how to make a spread sheet, pay the bills, and prioritize.   

With all that being shown to me throughout my younger years and at home, my real lesson came when I left.

I heard that famous statement, people make that like balance in their lives.  Work Hard.  Play Hard.
    I modified it to:
    When you work hard, you are allowed to play.  Don't let one outweigh the other.
    Overall, it is just in my nature.  I want and desire people to be pleased with who I am, what I produce, and how I use my mind and body to achieve the goal. 
    I've always been like this.
    It you think about it a little more, you can find working well puts you in great with your work family.  
    Working hard and well is a form of fitting in and is rewarding in many aspects. This post was edited by Merlin at October 16, 2019 10:43 PM MDT
      October 16, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

Our school had a situation like that ... until the janitor who was working ran for School Board, and was elected.
    Then all the non-workers either shaped up, or were terminated for not doing their job duties.
      October 16, 2019 9:39 AM MDT