Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » Due to overpopulation of men in China -by about 30 million- do you think women should be encouraged to take multiple husbands?

Due to overpopulation of men in China -by about 30 million- do you think women should be encouraged to take multiple husbands?

In mideast countries men are allowed up to four wives.

Posted - October 17, 2019

Responses

Latest reports are that despite the end of the one-child policy in China, a majority of women in the cities are now preferring to have only one child.
    This - despite the fact that there is a looming disaster with a rapidly aging population of grandparents reaching retirement age and too few people to look after them.

I don't think we need to worry about China's population - they have far more willingness to face this issue than any other country in the world.

The polyandry idea probably wouldn't work too well. Even though it did work well for centuries in rural Tibet, sudden and radical cultural change is usually very problematic for most humans. Male jealousy would be a problem. And many women would not like to have such strong sexual and reproductive demands placed on their bodies. As they grew older this problem would become increasingly difficult.

October 17, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

FOUR husbands? Why would a woman even want ONE?
      October 17, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

Financial support,  make babies if so desired. 
      October 17, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

Even as a joke that's a tad over the top for me.
    I'm against male-bashing ... it's just as bad as misogyny.

Men, despite their all-too-human foibles, are wonderful beings. A good, honest and gentle man makes a great partner and friend.

Marriages might be difficult, but they are the cauldron for the smelting of inner gold. Without the conflict and challenges, there would be few sparks and insufficient fuel for personal growth.

This post was edited by inky at October 18, 2019 6:34 AM MDT
      October 17, 2019 5:50 PM MDT

Well said. I wasn't joking, though. Well, I am/was good for a steady job, great health and life insurance. I guess women want a good provider.
      October 18, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

Let China deal with it.  

Their people are cattle to them.  Forcing people to only have one kid?   Now they are screwed.  They need the men to beat off or be gay and forget about populating anything ever. There are too many people there NOW. They NEED NO WIVES EVER.  They need to spill their seed into the ground.
      October 17, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

What about hugs and kisses -everybody needs some of that.
      October 17, 2019 11:59 AM MDT

Let them hug a man.  Just like they do in prison.  They are in prison.  So they may as well act like it.
      October 17, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

Not the same. Hug a man yeah then one thing might lead to another..
      October 17, 2019 12:06 PM MDT

That may require a fundamental change in Chinese culture. Traditionally a paternalistic society, men are still more valued than women there, which is why the gender disparity exists in th first place. 

How sad is it that so many Chinese men will be denied the chance to mate, have their own families and carry on their family names. 

October 17, 2019 4:59 PM MDT