Active Now

my2cents
Thebigd
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What’s the point of having ten (10) personal leave/ sick days in a year if you have the type of job you feel too guilty to even use one?

What’s the point of having ten (10) personal leave/ sick days in a year if you have the type of job you feel too guilty to even use one?

NO POINT. 
I guess I’ll just die then, that’s fine.

Posted - October 20, 2019

Responses

How many times have I offered you various positions over at my place? 
    You could work directly under me, I'd train you, and in no time at all you could be on top of things just like I am now. I could help you in any parts you don't quite have the thrust of, so that you could come along with me on every project. Why didn't you ever open up to the possibility?  I'm sure you would have done a great job. 
    You would have had so much job satisfaction by now that you'd be begging me for more assignments all the time. Grrrrrrr. 

~
      October 20, 2019 11:25 PM MDT

•   October 21, 2019 5:31 AM MDT

No costumes are allowed at work, I want to see the real you. 

~
      October 21, 2019 6:22 AM MDT

• Not even my cape???
      October 21, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

I just saved mine up and sold them back when I retired. $40,000.
      October 21, 2019 8:32 AM MDT

• We can’t sell back personal leave days here, it’s use them or lose them. I can sell back vacation days, which I’m going to have to do this year. I’d rather the time off than the money though. 

October 21, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

I know, right? That time off can be spent so much more productively than any ol’ bundle of cash can . . .

~ This post was edited by Randy D at October 21, 2019 8:28 PM MDT
      October 21, 2019 9:22 AM MDT

Hourly rates, eh?
      October 21, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

Wait, there are some places like that where they don't charge by the hour?  Who knew?

~

October 21, 2019 8:03 PM MDT

•   October 21, 2019 8:29 PM MDT

Wait...I am both. Does that mean Han Solo?
      October 22, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

• Yeah! That time can be spent spending my alimony... OTHER BIG CASH 
      October 21, 2019 8:30 PM MDT

I never take a day off work.  I never get sick and I don't want to spend my day off worrying.  

So, I just ignore that stuff.  
      October 21, 2019 3:36 PM MDT

I understand that only the US has lower requirements for vacation and public holidays (0 days) than Canada. So, suck it up, Buttercup.
      October 21, 2019 4:40 PM MDT

• You get zero sick days??  Well mines worse, I have ten sick days and 3 weeks vacation day but I never going to get to use them... pooooooor me -_-  ;)
      October 21, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

I only meant that the US is not required to give vacation time or public holidays. My company gave 12 public holidays and had a scale of vacation time based on tenure of two weeks to six weeks. Few of us old timers used up the vacation time we had. There was no formal number of sick days, but managers could decide if you were abusing it and decide not to pay - I never knew of that happening. They allowed paid time off for sick children and death in the family and other compassionate reasons. But again, none of this is required by law. Each employer can set its own policy.
      October 22, 2019 5:09 AM MDT

Welcome to the Global Economy and working in an American dominated spere of influence.  Reagan started it, Bill Clinton finished it with NAFTA - everyone is replaceable.  Want time, we will find your replacement.  Staffing is a barebones levels at best, the talent bench is very lean if there is one.

Currently in Japan watching the Labor unrest here.  Interesting sight and news.  My contract is is EU so I have to use my days otherwise the Comapany gets fined.  My American Coworkers here who are under Expat contracts are amazed and in despair.  This trade deal Trump is trying to push would gut EU Labor Law.  F Trump and Wall street is my opinion...

End of rant jaimie.  I have to  politely tell my team take your days off.  I had one Workaholic American I had to fire because he would not get with the program.  He cost us thousands of Euros in Labor Action Fines. 

BTW my teams are more productive than the US (NYC) office.  My people actually have time to think about what they are doing, and get it it done.  they have a life outside of the office and do not have the occupation blinders on.
      October 21, 2019 5:09 PM MDT

End of rant jaimie.  I have to  politely tell my team take your days off.  I had one Workaholic American I had to fire because he would not get with the program.  He cost us thousands of Euros in Labor Action Fines. 

Firing someone for working.  That takes the FREAKING cake man.
      October 21, 2019 8:06 PM MDT

Progressive, rules are rules.  The EU is a different kettle of fish then the US. 

This individual was on a US contract (expat) and thought he could bend the rules like in the US.  AKA cheat lie and steal, your criteria for hating Trumpster.  We had a situation fire this kisd and export him or face Jail Time as Directors or VP's with a direct association.  Easy decision.

PS, due note this was the reason 6 Goldman Sachs guys were impolitely asked to leave the EU and never come back.  This included Holiday vacations.  They show up they are all jailed for 2 years.

Here is another one for you:  Scheduling meetings on a National Holiday since everyone had free time on their schedules.  Some prick from the US is heading to japans prison for violating labor Laws.  This US Country head cannot believe ha has an stay and forced exit from japan over his gaff.  I do love Ivy League US arrogance...

We live in two separate worlds, although I do understand yours.
      October 22, 2019 4:41 AM MDT

• It’s all bullshizzat, really. I negotiated before starting my new job to get 3 weeks vaca and 2 weeks personal, but I can see now I’m never going to actually get the time off. I hate it. 
      October 21, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

You might be lucky enough to be one of those people who rarely gets sick.
    But what if one day you have an accident and literally can't get to work till you've healed?

One or some people might feel too guilty to use their sick-leave entitlements, but not everyone will.
    It's an excellent workplace allowance because many working parents need days to attend to kid's illnesses, dental needs etc.
    And many people actually do suffer minor ills such as severe period pain or flu.
    Why feel guilty about taking a few days off for flu when by doing so you could prevent your fellow workers from catching it - hence helping to maintain the productivity?
      October 22, 2019 1:49 AM MDT

I have accumulated over 900 hours of sick leave. It practically takes an act of Congress for me to take a day of sick leave. In elementary school, I was one of those students who continually got the Perfect Attendance Award, so it must have developed that way in my psyche and embedded itself into my work ethic. 
    ~
      October 22, 2019 8:28 AM MDT