Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Being Prez is not a job for old people. You slow down. You have less energy/stamina. You have more health problems. You're not as sharp. Why not make 60 the max age to run? What could it hurt?

Being Prez is not a job for old people. You slow down. You have less energy/stamina. You have more health problems. You're not as sharp. Why not make 60 the max age to run? What could it hurt?

Posted - September 13, 2016

Responses

It's the EXPERIENCE that counts. A President can run things from a chair. 

September 13, 2016 1:35 PM MDT

Let us just say that not all elders are equally degraded or debilitated, and some can stand up to a 90-hour-a-week job. Some literally cannot stand up to a campaign. No names mentioned.

September 13, 2016 1:40 PM MDT

• Hillary is 68 and Trump is 70 but at least Trump looks like he is healthy so I don't think that's a problem =D

September 13, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

Why limit the age, as long as the person is capable and willing? 

September 13, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

Trump looks like he's about to have an aneurysm at any time. He's so stiff and crammed into that suit, he probably has 3-4 strong young interns tightening his corset and girdle strings every morning. The spray tan is covering skin so white and sickly it's nearly translucent. The guy lives on KFC and McDonald's; he's got so much grease in his system, his blood type is "rancid".

September 13, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

• Yeah like the media never alters pics. In other pictures he looks fine and not orange so I don't know how you explain that one. However Hillary on the other hand which the media favors looks natural and still looks sick :)

September 13, 2016 8:40 PM MDT

• "The guy lives on KFC and McDonald's" ... there's no possible way you could know that and yes so do like 60% of Americans. We don't even have to worry about a war because at the rate obesity is going that will take care of us so our enemies won't have a chance to.

September 13, 2016 8:57 PM MDT

Do you think having a maximum age is a good idea Rpf? I think Hillary is  68. I know Donald is 70. Bernie Sanders I think is 74. It just seems to me that the job of prez is filled with so much pressure and stress being younger is better. Thank you for your reply! :)

September 14, 2016 2:25 AM MDT

Do you think having a maximum age is a good idea mu?  Appearances can be deceiving you know. Someone can look very healthy and drop dead from a heart attack just like that. I think age is important. I know there are always exceptions but the job of prez is so stressful being younger seems better to me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)

September 14, 2016 2:27 AM MDT

You got that right.  Obesity is a problem in America among adults and children as well. Michelle Obama was ridiculed for her vegetable gardens and trying to get kids to exercise. Bad Michelle. Wanting kids to be healthy! Shame on her!   Both Hillary and Donald need to lose weight. Why they don't puzzles me. Didn't Walt Kelly say "we have met the enemy and they is us"? Truer words were never spoken! :)

September 14, 2016 2:30 AM MDT

I'm 78.  I'm a very healthy 78. Even so I'm not the person I was when I was in my 40's. I don't know how old you are  Rpf so maybe my point is lost on you because you aren't old enough to recognize that you have slowed down a bit..take longer to bounce back from a cold...find learning how to do new things a little harder...take longer to decide.  I don't think I'm unique at all. Age does take a toll. The job of prez is stressful and pressure-filled 24/7. The prez is never out of touch..always on duty...no matter where in the where he/she is. Thank you for your question  Rpf. Did I answer it? :)

September 14, 2016 2:34 AM MDT

September 14, 2016 12:25 PM MDT

• Sooooooo racism/sexism/etcism is bad, but ageism isn't bad? Huh. Interesting.

September 14, 2016 12:27 PM MDT

The way I see it, presidents are exceptional people. They tend to have above average tenacity and determination. If the national age of retirement for regular citizens is 65, and many work well beyond that if the want to or have to, I don't see why a president couldn't be older than 60, or 65, provided they are reasonably healthy.
    As for myself, I'm only 42, in average health, but certainly I've slowed down since my twenties. Still, I think I have become tougher in a way, so that when I need to, I can "turn it on", and push myself harder. I look at my Dad, who's 70 now, and he's pushed himself hard all his life, so he's a bit broken down, but still I think he could surprise you with how strong he is. It's a lot to do with attitude, and he was never one to back down from anything.
      September 14, 2016 1:03 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Rpf . I appreciate the thought you put into it! :)

September 15, 2016 4:21 AM MDT