Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is one of America's greatest achievement......it's a happy thing ...:)

What is one of America's greatest achievement......it's a happy thing ...:)

Posted - October 24, 2019

Responses

The discovery and worldwide publication of the harm done by DDT. Ceasing the use of it has saved human lives and prevented the extinction of many species.
    The invention of the polio vaccine.
    The internet.
    I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands more.
      October 24, 2019 5:18 PM MDT

I was thinking more of them taking it upon themselve and the world health Association to inoculate the people in the world with the smallpox vaccine......
    What a wonderful gift that has saved so many lives world wide.....Why are theses things being extended ,why does the world at present exist on greed ,
    As kids ,our percents taught us to share ,the older siblings aways shared and helped the younger....growing up was great and ut still exists between us all, we are a real hoard now and all very close....
      October 24, 2019 5:46 PM MDT

I agree. The smallpox vaccine was a great gift.
    Just one thing though, if the West is going to help vaccinate against all nasty viruses,
    we also need to provide education for women and the means to control their families.
    Because while longer and healthier lives is a blessing, a rapidly overpopulated world only increases global warming and the risks of total extinction of life on this planet. The IPPC has only published the lowest and most conservative of its forecasted modelling.

Sounds like you came from a large family which taught the values of caring - a very fortunate beginning. :)
      October 24, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

I have two sisters and three brothers and a big kid that I call my dad....lol

Ive lost count of my nieces and nephews....My mum has an identical twin and she has daughter the same age within days of me being born who is the imagine of her mum .....
    Our parents are twenty years older then us and people still stare if we are all out together....lol
      October 24, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

I would probably have a heart attack.
      October 25, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

Don't worry....❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Have these first to soften the blow...:) 
      October 25, 2019 2:37 PM MDT

The more lives we save and the longer we live the more global warming we face.  Very true.  Though being sentimental about life is just as natural as reproducing.  Rather how we are wired.  But should we question the saving of lives by whatever means?
      October 24, 2019 7:43 PM MDT

Not attacking GB after our revolution. Otherwise you might not exist and I can't imagine a world without you.
      October 24, 2019 5:24 PM MDT

This is good,now we're getting some where.....hehe 
      October 24, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

Who knows...you might have been my real daughter.
      October 24, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

You better not let my dad hear you say that.....mind you, my mum might be far harder to deal with....lol
      October 24, 2019 6:00 PM MDT

Thomas Edison. American. Icon. 
      October 24, 2019 5:53 PM MDT

I hope your not making light of my question..  :) D
      October 24, 2019 6:03 PM MDT

Not at all. I consider Edison one of the greatest things about America. 

What would the world be like without his contributions? 

October 24, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

You had  Nikola Tesla to that wanted to give free electrical energy away until his main competitor that were using DC Current bumped him off.....
      October 24, 2019 6:24 PM MDT

True, Tesla was a genius, but he was born and educated in Europe.
      October 24, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

Especially after kicking Westinghouse's a&&.
      October 25, 2019 9:30 AM MDT

We all had to be born somewhere...The America we know today all came from Europe mostly as did the horses that came from Spain .
    The English,German ,French ,Spanish, Portuguese,Dutch, Vikings have colonized the world...Funny how stealling a country is not illegal ...

I wonder if a huge rare mineral reserve was was discovered in a some obscure undefended country ,how long would it be before one of great powers just decided to take it....:(
      October 24, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

History shows only as long as it takes to get armed invaders on-site, to subdue the locals. 
    Stealing in this way has always been justified by calling it the ‘spoils of conquest’. - Impressive name for lowly business. 

You do know only the victors wrote the history? 

October 24, 2019 9:25 PM MDT

Yes  I tend to tell everyone that myself....it's a bit harded to do nowadays with everyone spying on each other and so willing to spill the bean to get their Brownie points.    :(
      October 24, 2019 10:39 PM MDT

Freedom of personal determination. Which we are in danger of losing because so many people seem no longer to value it. 
      October 24, 2019 7:35 PM MDT

Things once fought for are  often easilly lost ....complacency is almost impossible to prescribe for.....
    People need to throw away their blinked and stop letting the wool being pulled slowly over their eyes.... 
      October 24, 2019 7:47 PM MDT

• The Chocolate Chip Cookie...

Dessert or snack
    Place of origin United States
    Region or state WhitmanMassachusetts
    Created by Ruth Graves WakefieldToll House Inn
    Invented c. 1938
    Main ingredients Floursugarbrown sugarbutter or margarinechocolate chipseggsvanillabaking sodasalt
    Variations Multiple, including adding nuts, oatmeal, peanut butter
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 25, 2019 9:47 AM MDT
      October 24, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

Sweet answer coming from you.....l
      October 24, 2019 7:48 PM MDT