Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What is the longest lasting land fill Dispoable waste product .... I'm going with Dinosaurs, Not the great big hairy ones though....Yuck..:(

What is the longest lasting land fill Dispoable waste product .... I'm going with Dinosaurs, Not the great big hairy ones though....Yuck..:(

Posted - October 26, 2019

Responses

Teflon. The chemical PFOA has been used in the production of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), best known by the commercial name Teflon. 
    It was developed in 1938 by Dupont and is known as a "Forever Chemical" because it never breaks down or decomposes...EVER
    Through Water and air contamination, it is estimated that over 90% of the entire human population have trace amounts of PFOA in their bodies
      October 26, 2019 9:03 PM MDT

I never knew that....I use to use PTFE tape a lot when working with my dad...just googled it and they say it's safe...
    teflon cooking coated frying pans are safe up to heating 300 c it says.....how hot it that ? 
      October 27, 2019 5:14 AM MDT

The Teflon Don. John Gotti.
      October 26, 2019 11:24 PM MDT

If he's that slippery ,why not just slidevhim out of the door.....:) 
      October 27, 2019 5:16 AM MDT

Glass bottles..............over 1,000,000 years to decompose.  Even fishing line takes 600 years.

https://www.down2earthmaterials.ie/2013/02/14/decompose/
      October 27, 2019 12:31 AM MDT

Glass is inert and naturally made.......discarded fishing line ,nets and plastic holding four pack beer cans together kill so many birds ,animials,fish and sea mammals though....
    So many should be banned from being made. One day in the not to distant future ,it wil all come back to bite us all...  
      October 27, 2019 5:23 AM MDT

This question regards how long items take to decompose, not about safety.  Glass takes the longest.  It doesn't have to be that kind of nightmare simply by reusing glass containers.  That was the status quo for many many years.  I would love to never see another plastic container and receive everything in glass.  Then turn in the glass containers when empty for reuse.   
      October 27, 2019 10:45 PM MDT

I don't think anyone fully realize's yet the irreversible damage being done to the planet by any propuct containing any verity of plastic....
    Clothing made from plastic fibres like nylon and fleeces get washed in to our sewer system everytime we use a washing machine....
    People are to lazy now to prepare  fresh food and cook it....every thing is brought ready prepared and warped in plastic film ,most all veg comes in sealed plastic bags....
    People are being brain washed by the huge super markets and the majority of people don't seem to care or worry....
    I'm sure in my life ,I will witness serious health problems that will come from made made waste products....
      October 28, 2019 1:57 AM MDT

Greece has the biggest landfill site in the world....they recycle very little and have raised the ground level .6 of a kilometer in hight.....the ground moves as lorries drive on it.......no one knows what's actually buried there ,it contains toxic waste that leaches from it endlessly....:(  
      October 27, 2019 5:33 AM MDT

Glass and ceramics are the longest-lasting materials, and are sufficiently inert to be safe in the soil or the sea. They are anyway made from natural minerals. Glass is only fused sand (silica); ceramics are fused clays so are metal-silicates, but their metals are chemically locked up very firmly. 

These are followed by certain metals, depending partly on the conditions.

Plastics in general covers a huge range of materials, and most have not really been around for long enough to know if or how they degrade fully in all conditions. Especially so for the thermo-setting plastics and the synthetic resins, though some degrade slowly in sunlight.

I recall reading in a book about the church, when Sir Basil Spence designed the new Coventry Cathedral (in the 1950s I think) he wanted to stand certain of the interior columns on glass spheres. However, the manufacturers could not give a 500-year guarantee!
      November 1, 2019 3:46 PM MDT