Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Is there any reason for a headline like this?

Is there any reason for a headline like this?

Washington Post:

And they seem shocked that people distrust media....

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

"Russia was not "consulted" they were informed we would be flying through their air space....this was required so they would not assume an attack on them. "

Totally disagree...Pelosi and Schiff should have been notified. That is protocol, courtesy, and proper bi-partisan behavior.

Bear in mind, most of the Trump leaks were from "all the best people" that he hired or appointed.

Yes, The speaker of the house and congress should have most definitely been notified
      October 29, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

This is TRUMPSPEAK.  You know.  Everything true is twisted to suit him?   He leaks everything including high risk videos of intelligence operations.  He FIRED MATTIS?  Did Mattis QUIT? Who knows anymore.  He LIES about everything.  So for him to say the simpleton remark that THE DEMS cannot be trusted, speaks volumes. 

He could never be trusted and we know this.  NO ONE TRUSTS THIS ANAL SPHINCTER muscle.  No one.
      October 29, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

Don hires all the best Leakers

October 29, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

I thought this was a fake, so I looked into it.

From Post spokesperson Kristine Coratti Kelly:

"Post correspondents have spent years in Iraq and Syria documenting ISIS savagery, often at great personal risk. Unfortunately, a headline written in haste to portray the origins of al-Baghdadi and ISIS didn't communicate that brutality. The headline was promptly changed."

and

"Regarding our al-Baghdadi obituary, the headline should never have read that way and we changed it quickly."

The original headline read: "Islamic State’s terrorist-in-chief."

However, the article tried to explain his backstory and part of it said he was an, "austere religious scholar with wire-frame glasses and no known aptitude for fighting and killing." 

For whatever reason, someone thought it was too much or that it didn't portray the backstory and literally did a copy-paste from part of the article to rename it. Obviously, a big oops. The Post was not happy and I have a feeling whoever did that got fired. 

They caught it fairly quickly and changed it to read "extremist leader of Islamic State."

I get why people are mad. I agree the second title was in poor taste. However, I don't think we need to turn this into a thing like it was somehow the Post intentionally glossing over the heinous crimes committed. 

That said, it did lead to some amazingly funny Tweets...

"Adolf Hitler, dedicated art enthusiast, animal rights activist, and talented orator, dies at 56."

"Ted Bundy, meticulous researcher, charismatic figure, and Polaroid enthusiast, dead at 42."

Look at the bright side, eh?

October 28, 2019 2:58 PM MDT

This is all with the thing now people do the most is play the victim and profess outrage at having their feelings hurt. 

What happened to say Sanford And Son? Sanford blasted everybody, Whites, other Blacks, Jews, Latinos, Women and we all laughed or maybe did not like that humor. But I did not talk to anybody who had their feelings hurt or outraged at what he said.
      October 28, 2019 4:12 PM MDT

So it had 3 headlines....they should have kept the first. 
      October 28, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

While the description given is wildly incomplete, it isn’t inaccurate. It is, however, a sign of your own bias that you singled THIS ONE out to smear all media with the same brush. Couldn’t we just as easily roll out any number of Fox News headlines? 

What more people should realize is what the media is for, what it’s value is, and what we as the audience need do to benefit most from it.
    Media is biased, yes, because humans who work in the media are; and because complete objectivity is impossible. But that isn’t to say all media is therefore worthless or inherently flawed. Information is power baby, and the more info we have, the better positioned we are to assess things for ourselves. That is what media is for.  

Where would we be without a free press? North Korea, The Dark Ages,...Pick one.
    Getting only what crumbs the tyrant pushes off his plate to us.

It should be clear that scenario isn’t many more steps from a grossly incompetent, self-absorbed national leader denigrating media at every turn, for his every problem.

An admittedly flawed, bias-prone, but free news media is many miles better than one controlled by the state, or having none at all.

(No way I get Askers Pick for this) ;) 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 29, 2019 12:09 PM MDT
      October 28, 2019 3:56 PM MDT

All media is biased...we all know this.
      October 28, 2019 5:48 PM MDT

So that’s what you get from my entire post? 

Kudos for the penetrating analysis. 

(I’ll use smaller words next time.) 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 29, 2019 5:13 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

(I didn't look) you must have said something about how TRUMP shouted from the rooftops in GLEE that he murdered this man like a beautiful dog screaming and crying and she said this back.  

You must have said SOMETHING about this, RIGHT??? RIGHT???
      October 28, 2019 7:14 PM MDT

No need to. You had that covered well enough. 

I was conveying adult themes to M2C. Same outcome as always. 

October 28, 2019 7:44 PM MDT

I was at work on break and just skimming through.   I saw your comment and had to make some snarky remark.   (not to YOU of course)  
      October 29, 2019 9:05 AM MDT

Thank you for the reminder. I forgot for a moment.
      October 29, 2019 9:05 AM MDT

• This was a poorly-worded headline and I'm glad it was changed. The headline itself isn't a lie, but it does play into a suspicion that some media outlets are sympathetic to terrorism. And while I'm not convinced of that, it's a bad image to have and sometimes it pays to not be callous in your reporting. 
      October 28, 2019 4:23 PM MDT

In my opinion, mainstream media is not “sympathetic to terrorism”.  They might be sympathetic to some of the underlying issues that terrorists fight for, but I do not believe that the media supports or condones terroristic methods used for achieving goals. That being said, I also believe that far too many media outlets and personnel are left-leaning and biased. 
    ~
      October 28, 2019 4:41 PM MDT

I took the headline as pure sarcasm because anyone who pays attention to the news knows exactly who and what al-Baghdadi represents.  
      October 29, 2019 5:16 AM MDT

I wish that were true. 
      October 29, 2019 9:01 AM MDT

The sad thing is how would YOU know? 
      October 29, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

I read the article.  The headline is a direct quote from the article. 
      October 29, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

I know this guy is supposed to be horrid.  I don't know a thing about Big Daddy. I'm sure I would celebrate his demise.  

But look at the lying headlines OUR OWN FEARLESS LIAR gets all the time.  Please don't be offended if Big Daddy gets some love once in a while.  I mean, look at Trump and the NAZIS.  They love him.  He is GOD to them.  Check out some of those headlines.  Too bad he isn't dead. That would make them more sufferable.  
      October 29, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

"Supposed to be horrid"????  Really???  This man burnt people alive in cages, cut people heads off, kidnapped and kept sex slaves (many who died), murders gay people, murdered (blew up) his own children with his suicide vest,...."suppposed to be horrid"...come on. The hatred of Trump cannot cloud people's judgement that much.  
      October 30, 2019 2:21 PM MDT

Honest I didn't know a thing about Big Daddy.  I know he was SUPPOSED to be horrid, but since I have read virtually NO THING about this evil thing, I said it that way.  

You know, My 2, I am not sticking up for this creep.  I just KNOW that everything that comes out of the LEADER of AMERICA'S mouth is a FAT LIE.  So when he says he died kicking and crying like a little baby, I KNOW THAT IS A LIE.

So, maybe this guy and his badness is not so bad. I BELIEVE YOU because I have heard of his atrocities by people who matter like the MILITARY?   
      October 30, 2019 2:39 PM MDT

I am glad to see you are not defending this guy. 
    Do you wonder how with all the news you watch and read (you post it all the time) How did those sources not inform you about just how evil this Al Baghdadi was? No need to answer that just a thought for you to consider or not. 
      October 30, 2019 4:50 PM MDT

What I wish was that more people paid attention to the news.
      October 29, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

My 2 and the rest of Trump's base do watch the news. That is why we have this creep in the first place.  They watch the FAKE news and believe him when he says the real news is fake.  Go figure.
      October 30, 2019 2:40 PM MDT