Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Is there any reason for a headline like this?

Is there any reason for a headline like this?

Washington Post:

And they seem shocked that people distrust media....

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

What is it about the headline to which you object?
      October 28, 2019 7:43 AM MDT

Connotation....makes him sound like a peaceful theological leader. 

Instead of the brutal, evil terrorist he was. 
      October 28, 2019 8:35 AM MDT

Anyone who thinks that headline was anything other than pure sarcasm doesn't know who al-Baghdadi was.
      October 29, 2019 8:55 AM MDT

The headline was a direct line from within the article so unless the whole thing was sarcasm....

October 29, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

Stupidity!
      October 28, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

From what I read, this was not the headline they 'went' with. They changed it quickly.
     And with how often President Trump changes his story (talk bout distrusting), I'm OK with other people/organizations changing theirs.
    :)

The Washington Post changed the headline of its obituary of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Sunday after facing backlash for calling him an “austere religious scholar.” Vice President of Communications at Washington Post Kristine Coratti Kelly said in a tweet that “the headline should never have read that way and we changed it quickly.” The first version of the article described Baghdadi as the “Islamic State’s terrorist-in-chief,” before it was changed to “austere religious scholar.” It’s unclear why the newspaper initially changed the headline, but it was changed for a third time to its current headline: “Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, extremist leader of Islamic State, dies at 48.”

EDIT -- that quote was from The Daily Beast -- I happened upon it.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 29, 2019 11:00 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 9:09 AM MDT

This is the headline they went with....they simply changed it after being called out for it.
      October 28, 2019 9:13 AM MDT

I stand behind my answer. And I have way more concern about how much our current president keeps changing his stories than a newspaper headline getting changed.
    The quote I posted explains the headline controversy for me better than President Trump explains himself  on more important items than a headline.

October 28, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

You should stand by your answer it was correct. As you quoted:
    The Washington Post changed the headline of its obituary of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Sunday after facing backlash for calling him an “austere religious scholar.” 

October 28, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

However, as the old saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. Trump doing it doesn't make it OK for a media outlet to do it, and the Washington Post doing it doesn't make it OK for Trump.
      October 28, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

True.
    :)
      October 28, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

If a person was even "halfway" educated, they would know this headline not to be true. However, this is exactly what happened. Lots of "halfway" educated people called out Washington Post for it. Goes to show you that print news can't be trusted either. This post was edited by Zack at October 29, 2019 5:10 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 9:19 AM MDT

Yep...all news is biased. Some to the left some to the right.  But usually not this blantant....normally they will just not report what they do not like. But this was big enough they could not simply ignore.
      October 28, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

All news is NOT biased.   Get real.  Fox is biased. Not all news.  We have a thing called video and you cannot erase a MORON in real time and tweeting.  He is on tv right now saying CHINA should investigate the Bidens.  Rachel Maddow says that is a crime.  Where is the bias?  TRUMP IS HIS OWN PROOF that you cannot be biased when stating the TRUTH about a MORON.  
      October 29, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

Which word or words or combination of words in the headline do you consider to be problematic?

austere
    religious
    leader

aus·tere
    /ôˈstir/
    adjective
    1. severe or strict in manner, attitude, or appearance.
      "an austere man, with a rigidly puritanical outlook"

Similar: severe, stern, strict, harsh, unfeeling, stony, steely, flinty, dour, grim, cold, frosty, frigid, icy, chilly, unemotional, unfriendly, formal, stiff, stuffy, reserved, remote, distant, aloof, forbidding, mean-looking, grave, solemn, serious, unsmiling, unsympathetic, unforgiving, uncharitable, hard, rigorous, stringent, unyielding, unbending, unrelenting, inflexible, illiberal, no-nonsense, hard-boiled, hard-nosed, solid

Opposite:
      genial

• (of living conditions or a way of life) having no comforts or luxuries; harsh or ascetic.
        "conditions in the prison could hardly be more austere"
      October 28, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

Randy, the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES lies on tv and tells the American PUBLIC that this man THIS ISIS LEADER, DIED like a screaming dog.  And she finds this news headline offensive.

If you don't see the blatant hypocrisy of a EVANGELICAL lover of the life of Jesus Christ getting behind a man who would announce that proudly as if it is giving him a huge woody, dismissing all implications of what that can do to threaten us, and being offended that the murdered man may have some respect.  

The guy is like Hitler.  The murdered guy.  Even HE is more worthy of respect than TRUMP ever was.  At least he LEAD his people.  At least that maniac believed in something besides himself.  
      October 28, 2019 11:14 AM MDT

Where do you see the word "leader" in the original headline? 

As I told SpunkySenior my problem is the connotation of the WP's choice of words. 
      October 28, 2019 11:59 AM MDT

I’m sorry, that’s my mistake and I stand corrected. It was scholar, not leader. 
    ~
      October 28, 2019 4:35 PM MDT

Are you SCARED?  You should be.  Trump just announced that HE killed this guy. HE IS TAKING CREDIT.  AND GUESS WHAT?  That gives ISIS all the fuel they need to pull a bigger and better 911.

He cannot control his emotions, Trump is an infant who lives in the moment and he could not wait to share his excitement over this man's death and act like a TOTAL REJECT about it.

Obama killed Bin Ladden.  Did he run to the TV's and describe his dying like a scared dog?  IS THIS MAN PSYCHO?  IS TRUMP PSYCHO?  

I know he is dumb as a load of bricks but he just DARED ISIS to come for him and US.

DONALD TRUMP BRAGGING ABOUT HOW ISIS' LEADER DIED LIKE A BEAUTIFUL DOG?  IS THAT EVEN A SANE THING TO PICTURE?   WHAT KIND OF MORON SAYS THIS TO INSULT THE ENEMY AFTER KILLING THEIR MOST RESPECTED LEADER?    HE DIED LIKE A BEAUTIFUL DOG, SCREAMING AND CRYING?  THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT AS YOUR LEADER?  THIS IS WHAT YOU THINK JESUS CHRIST SMILES UPON?  YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HEAVEN, OR WHATEVER YOU EVANGELICALS CALL YOUR PRETEND IDEA OF HEAVEN, IF YOU DARE DENIGRATE A HEADLINE REMARKING ABOUT A MAN'S LEGACY AND EMBRACE A MONSTER WHO GLEEFULLY CELEBRATES SOMEONE'S HORRIFIC DEATH.

OH AND BY THE WAY? I KNOW THIS JERK IS LYING ABOUT THE DEATH.  OF COURSE.  HE HAS NO IDEA HOW THIS JERK DIED.   IF HE SAYS HE DIED LIKE THAT?  IT IS PROOF POSITIVE THAT HE DIED THE EXACT OPPOSITE WAY
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 28, 2019 11:23 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 11:18 AM MDT

Scared of what? Islamic State terrorists deserve no respect....none. 
    That man was evil. He used his own children as human sheilds and and when he realized he was still going to be caught he blow himself and his CHILDREN up. People a worried we called this evil POS a dog....dog is too good of term for him and them. 

President Trump knows how it happened the same way Obama knew exactly how we got Bin Laden. The soldiers wear cameras and it is streamed to the WH situation room. This post was edited by my2cents at October 28, 2019 2:48 PM MDT
      October 28, 2019 12:11 PM MDT

I remember the credit President Barack Obama did not get when the #1 terrorist, Osama Bin Ladin who was funded by the Saudis was killed under his leadership. GW Bush and all the republicans spen almost 8 years NOT trying to get Bin Laden

October 28, 2019 1:09 PM MDT

I gave/give him credit. I remember him getting credit as well.
    On Hanitty:

As to the operation itself, Hannity spoke more vocally: “We’ve got to give lots of credit to Obama,” he noted, calling it a “gutsy choice not to drop a 2000-lb bomb but send those guys in.” That said, Hannity emphasized that “without the interrogation, he wouldn’t have had the intelligence to make the decision,” and encouraged the White House to release photos of the dead body for confirmation.

I do not remember Osama being refered to as a "religious scholar" neither. 
      October 28, 2019 2:46 PM MDT

I'll applaud you for making that statement. There were many on the right who refused to acknowledge that important achievement.
    And that includes one person on here at least who I shall not name... 

The argu8ment was that Obama did not get Bin Laden, the seals did. That is technically correct, but they did so under the direction of our commander-in-chief who kept all US military secrets in-house and who also kept those in the GOP including the speaker of the house in the loop instead of hiding info and consulting with Russian Putin
      October 29, 2019 11:39 AM MDT

Some people can not get past their partisanship to say anything even slightly positive about the other side.  I am not that way. 

Russia was not "consulted" they were informed we would be flying through their air space....this was required so they would not assume an attack on them. 

With all the leaks I would not have kept anyone in the loop who was not required.  This is not a new practice. Newt was not informed ahead of time about raids that happened in Pakistan while he was Speaker of the House. Some things are need to know and Speaker of the House is not always need to know. Now after they fact, they are entitled to know everything.  
      October 29, 2019 12:03 PM MDT