Active Now

Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Who here is affected by the fires in CA?

Who here is affected by the fires in CA?

Posted - October 28, 2019

Responses

But I feel both sadness and alarm for the well-being of those in California and here who have been affected and those who are still at risk.

In Australia we are experiencing the same problems:
    - the worst fires on record
    - each year the fire season starting earlier and ending later due to climate change
    - inadequate equipment and not enough firefighters

We've been in total fire ban for the last six weeks. By dry lightning, wind-downed electricity lines and arson have all taken their toll.

With the worst drought on record, we currently have major bushfires up and down the entire east coast.
    There's a very bad fire with winds blowing towards my sister's place at this moment.

We have radically improved our firefighting skills and technologies, our communications methods, community rescue centres, burns units in hospitals, meteorological tracking and prediction, and public education about fire prevention and plans for evacuation.
    But we need:
    - at least forty water-bombing aircraft
    - to bury electricity powerline underground (with easy access tunnels for maintenance, better water storage for droughts,
    - better means of protecting domestic animals and wildlife,
    - better building codes so buildings don't burn,

I hope Trump does the right thing and goes to visit the sites of the biggest fires. He needs to see the cost of global warming with his own eyes.
    I hope he talks to the victims to get the full impact of how fires affect people.
    I hope journalists put pressure on him to show some concern. (Even though I'm certain he really doesn't care.)
    - and nation-wide adoption of the traditional Aboriginal method of using small, cool fires in the cool season to reduce dry tinder. This post was edited by inky at October 29, 2019 7:24 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

Trump would not be welcome among the common citizens in California, as he’s gone out of his way to crap on them at every turn. Maybe you recall his moronically criticizing Cali residents for not “raking the forests” to mitigate last year’s dreadful fires.
    That said, he should go anyway, a taste of their wrath would be a viral sensation.
      October 28, 2019 8:12 PM MDT

I'm sure you're right.
    If I understand correctly C.A. has more Democratic voters than Republicans. Is that right?

Even so, a president owes a duty of care to all citizens, irrespective of how they vote or whether he's welcome.

It's a poor statesman who behaves like a moral coward, though in his case, he's closer to a moral imbecile.
      October 28, 2019 8:23 PM MDT

You are correct, of course.
    Though conveying the message in your second paragraph to a man congenitally incapable of empathy is akin to imparting calculus to a bonobo. 

October 28, 2019 8:28 PM MDT

Unlike Trump and empathy, I believe you could sooner teach a bonobo calculus.
      October 29, 2019 9:08 AM MDT

But we should not insult the bonobos by using trump as a comparison.
      October 29, 2019 9:23 AM MDT

My apologies to the bonobo species.
      October 29, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

They are lovers...not haters.

October 29, 2019 9:31 AM MDT

Yes, they are.
      October 29, 2019 9:52 AM MDT

He's thanking her for letting him eat her poo.
      October 29, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

I read that about bonobos and chimps.
      October 29, 2019 12:05 PM MDT

Soon we may all be affected. A large percentage of our produce is grown in Cali.

I’m affected by yet another affirmation that I was right to choose to live in Florida instead of California. 

October 28, 2019 8:22 PM MDT

I hope you're in a place that is protected from hurricanes.
    They too seem to be becoming bigger and more frequent with global warming.
      October 28, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

We get them, but not every year, and our building practices are such nowadays that storm damage isn’t what it once was. 

All joking aside, if the sea levels rise much more, we emigrate to Portugal. 

October 28, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

Have never been to Portugal, but everything I hear about it makes it sound like a very attractive place. :)
      October 28, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

My wife and I were there a couple months ago, doing some recon. There is a community of ex-pats (US and UK) growing in the south of the country, mostly well-heeled and idle, looking to retire to a quiet setting, warm and peaceful. Access to the Med is attractive as well  

Its warm and sunny there year ‘round and the local are friendly and the water is clean and costs of living and taxes are are low. Good to have a contingency plan, imo

October 29, 2019 5:11 AM MDT

• I'm affected in terms of air quality. This is becoming a new thing where for several days out of the year (sometimes weeks), the air is as bad as a polluted city in India or China. Exposure to that kind of thing is not good for anyone. I'm in the middle of the Central Valley, so it's not likely that a fire will ever reach here, but the effects hit here all the time. And I know people who have lost their homes.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 29, 2019 7:26 AM MDT
      October 28, 2019 11:15 PM MDT

That would be all of us.  Because of the cause.
      October 29, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

I'm very sorry to hear this, Nevan.  I'm very concerned about the effects the poor air quality will have on so many people.  You lose a home, you have insurance and you rebuild, but the harmful effects of the poor air quality cannot be undone.  
      October 29, 2019 9:15 AM MDT