Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Jobs » The newest craze at my workplace is the standup desk; between 90 to 95 percent of my coworkers have one.

The newest craze at my workplace is the standup desk; between 90 to 95 percent of my coworkers have one.

I, however, am one of the last holdouts. Do you have one?

~

Posted - November 1, 2019

Responses

What ! Even the Chair man ? 

and  when did you take my photo :( 
      November 1, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

You know I have installed cameras and microphones everywhere!

~
      November 1, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

It's a good job you didn't install big ones then....
      November 1, 2019 6:50 PM MDT

I do not. But it is good for the body to move during the day. 
    I know you run daily so the stand up desk may not be as needed for you.

I hope they are giving your coworkers a better version than in your pict.
    This post was edited by my2cents at November 1, 2019 6:43 PM MDT
      November 1, 2019 6:22 AM MDT

Nice.  :)
    I don't have my glasses on but are those peanuts in that shallow dish to the right of the computer?  What is that??
      November 1, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

Looks like some sort of Trail Mix. M&Ms, pretezels etc. 
      November 1, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

Yes, I have a stand up desk, but I don't use it.  I have lower back problems and standing in one place for any length of time is uncomfortable.  Mostly the attorneys use that feature - the secretaries sit.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be as easy to get secretarial spread.
      November 1, 2019 7:01 AM MDT

I don't sit at a desk for a good majority of the time for any of my chosen practices of bringing in cash.
    I don't feel comfortable saying "job" because they don't feel like "jobs."  I can't say career because what I got a diploma in, I don't use. Well, I do for the business and accounting part of them.
    I am too active or have a ton of nervous energy to sit for too long.
    I go crazy in flights across the country and about died when I flew to Greece.
    What was the question, again?

That's Right.  Stand-up desks.
    No.  I do not have one.  I do stand and write to you guys every now and again.  AnswerMug and invoicing and checking my gmail or about the only times I am on my computer.  ...

And in that order! :) :) :) :)

November 1, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Did you also get diplomas in Cosmetology, Court and Convention Reporting and Legal Secretarial?   Oh yeah, I use that stuff all the time.  ...
      November 1, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

No.  I wasn't nearly as well-rounded.  I stuck with your basic Business Management where I most likely would be sitting down at least 80/90 percent of the time.
    I'm just not a "suit" or "desk person" type.  I graduated in Business because it might open the most doors.  It did but it wasn't my cup of tea to do all the time. 
    Please don't get me wrong.  I'm still glad I have it and do use it to a certain degree but not in the major form I was trained to do.
    I would have LOVED to go into Cosmetology.  There, you would be doing a ton of standing, not sitting, it would seem. That would also be a benefit! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 1, 2019 2:37 PM MDT
      November 1, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

These are nothing new and have been around for a while. Some genius millennial just rediscovered them and believed they are some amazing new invention. Yes...I had one and I think they are great. They are good for back and posture as well as for productivity at work.  People are more active and alert on their feet. Desks that allow you to sit all day are simply not good for the human muscular-skeletal system or the metabolism. That is unless you have something wrong with you and suffer a disability or you are lazy This post was edited by Jon at November 2, 2019 1:01 AM MDT
      November 1, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

You may have misunderstood or misread. It’s a new craze at my workplace in particular, I did not say that standup desks themselves are a new thing. 
    ~
      November 1, 2019 6:48 PM MDT

No. I did not misunderstand. Where do you work, Randy? 1995?
      November 1, 2019 7:06 PM MDT

No need to snipe. It’s simple: up until recently, there were no standup desks installed at my workplace. A coworker had one installed, other coworkers jumped on the bandwagon and installed them also. Soon, as I stated in the original post, between 90 to 95 percent of the desks are the standup type. At no point did I state that the desks are a recent discovery by my coworkers, only that it’s a recent trend of them being used using at this workplace.  Just because they haven’t been used here before doesn’t mean that the people are backwards nor outdated. 
    ~
      November 1, 2019 8:08 PM MDT

OMG Randy! Don't get your blather in a lather.

I'm just saying that sitdown desks have been around for a while. Besides the benefits that I listed, it also fosters creativity.  You said that stand-up desks "are a recent discovery by my coworkers." What am I to think?

If you're holding out because you are content playing solitaire with the computer screen turned away from the office door and think men's pants size 44 is an attractive look. Go for it

*giggle* 

November 2, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

You said that stand-up desks "are a recent discovery by my coworkers." What am I to think?

That’s the exact opposite of what I wrote. What are you to think?  Try thinking that you read it wrong.
    ~
      November 2, 2019 8:24 PM MDT

Oh..I missed the first part of that comment, sorry...
    but I stand by everything else I said. 

Stop being so sensitive ...and caustic  
      November 2, 2019 9:05 PM MDT

Don’t tell me how to be. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 9:19 PM MDT

Why? You told me, "No need to snipe."

November 2, 2019 9:33 PM MDT

There’s a difference between the two statements. I made a declaration, a point of lack of necessity; I did not tell you what to do, while yours is a mandate, an order, an imperative. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 9:37 PM MDT

So?

November 2, 2019 9:47 PM MDT

Your answer reminded me of an incredible discovery Don's little brother had about 10 years ago. I kid you not!..  

"Man, I just found a new band you might like.
     The Grateful Dead." 
    When Don told me this, I just about died.  "REALLY??????????  With my jaw on the floor, I looked at Don with that scrutinizing eye, "What did you say to your younger brother who thinks he just discovered The Grateful Dead?" 
    Don, not wanting to burst his brother's bubble said,
    "Ya, from what I've heard of them, I do like their stuff.  See if you can get some tickets if they ever come to town and we will go to a show."
    The stupidly amazing fact to me was how his brother had NOT already heard of "The Grateful Dead." How was that possible?
    Anyway, Don made a great call by not bursting his bubble of "discovery" with the "re" in front of it.
    His brother later found out, obviously, that they had been making music longer than he had walked the planet ...
    but in those moments, he thought he had discovered a new band.  Does this make us old because we have adult secrets and know it is a rediscovery and just not tell them? 
    ;) :) 

November 2, 2019 1:42 AM MDT

I will respond to you latter, Merlin. I don't want you to think I am ignoring you. I have to leave and wanted to drop a turn on Randy's sit-down desk blotter. LOL
      November 2, 2019 2:24 PM MDT

I don't have one of those desktop units ... my entire desk raises or lowers.
    I used to use it daily ... but I have so much paperwork that the piles kept falling off, so it's simpler just to remain sitting.  lol
      November 1, 2019 12:04 PM MDT