Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Language » England is quite a small country,yet has many local dialects that are so broad and a different language in themselves...

England is quite a small country,yet has many local dialects that are so broad and a different language in themselves...

Very few are are understandable even by proper Engrish speaking people, How do you lot in America get on with your southern drawl and other quaint language adaptations we often here on your films and news broadcasts....
Does anyone have to same problem  with our London speaking nice accents  :)    Hehe 

Posted - November 2, 2019

Responses

• Fine. Boston and New England Accents can be indecipherable at times.

I always thought Boston, Brooklyn, and New Jersey accents were the worst,  but on recent years I became acquainted with the Deleware accent.  It is friggin disgusting. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 3, 2019 10:07 AM MST
      November 3, 2019 12:00 AM MDT

What is deemed the best American accent or the most understandable ...? 
      November 3, 2019 12:04 AM MDT

• Probably Standard American Accent which is a Midwest rooted accent.   It's what is typical of TV and Newscasts.
      November 3, 2019 12:13 AM MDT

I often find English accents humorous thanks to Monty Python.
      November 3, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

Funniest zany people ever...did you ever see the film ...Captain Yellowbeard,it had all of the Monty Python cast in it and a lot of other well known actorr...you'll love it if you like Monty Python...
      November 3, 2019 12:32 AM MDT

I don't ever have a problem understanding American dialect but the hardest, to me, is the Cajun French found in the bayous of Southern Louisiana and SE corner of Texas.  The Mississippi Delta also has the strongest southern accent you will ever hear.

Some dialects are unpleasant to the ear.  I have known a number of people from Manchester, England and find them and their language a bit irritating. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 3, 2019 10:43 AM MST
      November 3, 2019 1:28 AM MDT

How true,there are many in England that are more than annoying...some sound so common ,Manchester is one of them..

I like French Cajun music......the film Sothern Comfort always ones to mind when I here it....
      November 3, 2019 1:57 AM MST

Yes, the music is unique and fun.
      November 3, 2019 6:44 PM MST

We don’t. ;)
    Americans just point and mock. 
      November 3, 2019 8:19 AM MST

I'm amused and amazed by dialects and accents. 

Many of the people who grew up in the very same town as I did speak very differently than I. They say things like "warsh" (wash) and "fixin to" (meaning they're preparing to). They say use the word "seen" as the past tense of "see", and numerous other grammatical errors in their speech and even when they write.  

I recognize that they're speaking as their parents spoke, but they received the same instruction as I did in school. My conclusion is that they just don't care that it makes them sound ignorant, which is their prerogative. It is sometimes difficult to take them seriously, though. 

November 3, 2019 10:12 AM MST

Englanders have had hundreds of years more practice destroying the language. I tried to read some Shakespeare once...totally baffling. When I was training Navy recruits, my partner was trying to teach them something. He had a deep southern accent. I asked one of the Black recruits what he was saying. He had no idea.
      November 3, 2019 10:14 AM MST

I once worked for a very large landlord company. One day I was sent to translate a woman who was calling the management about 'something' . She was originally from Mississippi and had a sloppy southern drawl. I had no problems fixin' her lectric thing-a-ma-bob in da cellah.
      November 3, 2019 1:33 PM MST

• America and England. Two nations divided by a common language. Those of us in the Southeastern US, have our own dialect developed from our Scots-Irish ancestors. But then, Y'all know about that. 
      November 3, 2019 7:12 PM MST