Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Not all solar energy systems continue working during a power outage or blackout because of their connection to the power grid.

Not all solar energy systems continue working during a power outage or blackout because of their connection to the power grid.

I just learned this while listening to a report about the wildfires that are currently sweeping through many areas of my state, California. I do not know much about solar energy at all, so learning this prompts me to ask this:

What are some common misconceptions about solar energy?

Posted - November 3, 2019

Responses

Never thought about it until now. Great point!
      November 3, 2019 9:21 AM MST

That it works and has been honed to perfection.  

We have a long way to go before we shut down the electric plants.

November 3, 2019 9:37 AM MST

That it's free energy. Solar arrays are quite expensive and the the direct current they produce has to be converted to alternating current...also expensive. The consumer has to pay those expenses. It is clean, though.
      November 3, 2019 10:01 AM MST

• Expensive and at a sizable loss. 40% is typical and that's not even considering smoothing it out to a sine wave.
      November 3, 2019 10:30 AM MST

• Yet the loss of conversion is better than the loss of long range DC distribution.
      November 3, 2019 10:35 AM MST

• That it is feasible for any rooftop.  Even a single  leaf shadow over a large array causes a significant reduction in.power generation.

That there is enough viable  rare earth element resources to power the world on it.

November 3, 2019 10:33 AM MST

I was shocked to read that those costly solar cells are only good for 8 years or so. That turned me right off!
      November 3, 2019 1:19 PM MST

Unless you have a bank or banks of batteries to store the power generate with an inverter to convert from AC to DC, it's a moot point because the power generated on your property is fed back into the grid.  Without acceptable means to store the power you generate, it's on.

My home had 2 banks of Trojan deep cell batteries running in parallel (4 each) which we charged through solar and generator. It worked great until the cost of the batteries skyrocketed and it was just easier to connect to the power grid. I believe I spent approximately $10,000 for the entire system originally  This post was edited by Jon at November 8, 2019 5:05 PM MST
      November 3, 2019 2:18 PM MST

(DC to AC) I have been in my house for more than 14 years and haven't even come close to spending $10K on electricity.
      November 8, 2019 5:07 PM MST

Here's PART II that I did not mention...
     (yes..DC to AC...my mistake)
    It was going to cost me almost $30,000 to have several poles installed and electricity strung to my house as well as to go through the hassle of contacting several property owners to sign off because we are on a private road...one of which was a POS who wanted $5k just to sign the easement 

I know people who spend $200-300 per month.  You're telling me that the total amount of electricity to your home for 14 years is less than $10K. I find that hard to believe. No disrespect Element but who does the bills in your house because if your monthly bill is $100, then in 10 years alone, you've spent 12000K.  You are saying that your monthly electric bill is less than $71. How the fudge is that possible??? This post was edited by Jon at November 8, 2019 5:24 PM MST
      November 8, 2019 5:19 PM MST

Electricity here is rather inexpensive. I did not count the obscure charges the add on and must pay even if we shut our electricity off. Maybe 10K is an exaggeration. I'll up it to 20K. Natural gas...same thing. This past summer I used 4-5 dollars of gas but the bills were all over 40.
      November 8, 2019 5:26 PM MST

That makes sense. I'm in the northeast and fuel is rediculos
      November 8, 2019 5:45 PM MST

I'd have thought that designing them to work within the home even during a power-cut would be a fundamental principle!

Their purpose is to supply the home first, entirely alone or with mains help depending on demand and solar-panel output at the time. Feeding the national grid is secondary, and generally when the system is generating more electricity than the home is using.

Hence the battery packs, even if only to run what is really needed during a power-cut (lighting and fridges, mainly).   
      November 8, 2019 2:56 PM MST

• Who cares if the power goes out.  I sparkle.

November 8, 2019 4:26 PM MST