Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » So, there's this song that has always reminded me of The Beatles . . .

So, there's this song that has always reminded me of The Beatles . . .

. . . and though I knew it wasn't actually The Beatles, I just now only figured out it was by Duran Duran! I was surprised.

Are there songs that remind you of other artists besides the actual artists singing?

(And, in homage to Twinkle Dink, I promise I won't mention those "two women singers" again here! Ha!)

"Ordinary World"   Duran Duran

Posted - November 5, 2019

Responses

That's quite a strange-looking dress she's wearing in the video. For me, the song reminds me more of someone like Elton John, but I get why you think it evokes the Beatles.
      November 5, 2019 6:35 PM MST

I need to get my act together - - I didn't even watch the video, I just sort of closed my eyes and listened. I like the dress, though!
    :)

I can hear a John-like sound to it, too.
      November 5, 2019 6:45 PM MST

I love Duran Duran but I can't hear this song after watching the (true) movie about Diane Downs.  I liked the song prior to.  Movie Small Sacrifices.  She is eligible for parole next year.  I hope they keep her until she dies.
    This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 5, 2019 6:57 PM MST
      November 5, 2019 6:35 PM MST

Oh, wow. I have no idea about which you speak. Offhand, I don't think I know of Diane Downs. Sounds like it all is possibly a sad story or something.

This song "Ordinary World" became my favorite song of theirs tonight -- I've always like this song but never paid any attention to the lyrics or who sang it. Had no idea whatsoever it would have been Duran Duran. To me, it's very different than their other songs I've heard. I  like how all the ingredients comes together in this song.

November 5, 2019 6:43 PM MST

She seems to be  a person with no soul.  I have purposely not read anything she might have said or written since.  I'm not interested in an "I found Jesus" story this time.    She shot her three children while listening to Hungry like the Wolf.  The band made a statement about it years ago.  This happened in like 1984 and she is eligible for parole next year.  There was a news program in the 90s or 2000s that sometimes used that song as a blender as it came back from commercials.  I wrote them about how offensive the song is and why.  They didn't use it again that I know of.  
      November 5, 2019 7:45 PM MST

I hadn't heard of anything about this, I guess. I've heard the title 'Small Sacrifices.' I saw a movie was made, too. I looked up a brief article.
      November 6, 2019 11:26 AM MST

Is that Downs in the video, maybe?
      November 5, 2019 6:46 PM MST

Oh no!
      November 5, 2019 7:46 PM MST

In your original answer, before I saw your other posts here, I thought you were talking about the song I posted, "Ordinary World." And your post of "Hungry Like a Wolf," I thought you posted it just as another Duran Duran song you liked because you like the group.
    So I was asking if Downs was in the video of "Ordinary World."

Sorry for all my confusion. Head was in a different place.
      November 6, 2019 11:31 AM MST

Jack Jones from Southern Sons always reminded me of John Farnham

November 5, 2019 8:15 PM MST

I don't think I'm familiar with either of them. I like this song as I'm listening, though. I've not heard it until now.
      November 6, 2019 11:33 AM MST

This is one of Farnham's, for comparison

November 6, 2019 9:13 PM MST

Yes!
      November 6, 2019 9:20 PM MST

I thought for years that the song "War" was Jimmy Hendrix

November 6, 2019 12:15 PM MST

I like that song!

I specifically remember always knowing Starr's name for some reason and always knew he was the artist. I like his name for some reason.
      November 6, 2019 8:59 PM MST