Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Should people with pneumonia be sent to camps to live away from society?

Should people with pneumonia be sent to camps to live away from society?

#DeathSickness

Posted - September 14, 2016

Responses

Fond memories of pneumonia summer camp.

September 14, 2016 11:45 AM MDT

No, but this reminds me of what I read this morning about the Zika virus.  Once a person is bitten, he may not get sick but he is a carrier.  The virus is transmitted sexually between humans too.  Also, if a person is a carrier and gets bitten by a clean mosquito, the mosquito likely now is carrying the Zika virus.  People can infect mosquitoes!  This sounds like genetically altered virus created for biological warfare.  It also sounds like a Steven King novel. 

September 14, 2016 3:08 PM MDT

I had it once and it sure as heck felt like I was dying. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I literally cried when the pain in my rib-cage finally went away, almost a month and a half later. I began to think it would always be there.

September 14, 2016 3:22 PM MDT

• I would think it would be similar to "sharing dirty needles" since mosquitos seem to be flying syringes.

September 14, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

• I've had that kind of pain before. You forget what feeling normal feels like.

September 14, 2016 3:42 PM MDT

They should not.

September 14, 2016 4:01 PM MDT

Yes, exactly like that.

And the sleep deprivation, oh wow, you underestimate what that can actually do to the body until you can't lie down for unstoppable coughing fits and are forced to sleep for minutes at a time. I suspect that was largely responsible for the emotional aspect of it.

That would have to rank number one for the most miserable I've ever felt and I can't imagine actually dying of it. Makes you thankful for modern medicine.

September 14, 2016 5:03 PM MDT

They should be sent to a Presidential debate to battle it out with Trump!!

September 14, 2016 5:13 PM MDT

•   September 14, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

By the time you processed the move to the camp, the victim would be recovered or dead - IF they are really suffering from pneumonia and no making up some malady-of-the-day to cover for chronic ill conditions..

Sanitariums were a means of controlling the spread of TB before antibiotics. When the AIDS epidemic was new and frightening, and the HIV/HTLV2 virus first identified, some epidemiologists advocated isolating virus carriers from the general population. Where an illness is deadly but contollable, such as Ebola, there is little choice but to isolate the victims and apply the best protections possible for caregivers.

September 14, 2016 5:45 PM MDT

Visions of TB treatment past?

September 14, 2016 6:22 PM MDT

• Yes.

September 14, 2016 8:31 PM MDT

But the bugs can be infected by biting an infected human.  Killing the bugs is not going to eradicate this.  Humans will continue to carry the virus and spread it through sexual contact.  This is scarier than I had thought.    

September 14, 2016 9:12 PM MDT