Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » JFK was assassinated on 11/22/63, Friday before Thanksgiving like today. I was 3, so I learned about it after the fact. Do you remember it?

JFK was assassinated on 11/22/63, Friday before Thanksgiving like today. I was 3, so I learned about it after the fact. Do you remember it?

Posted - November 22, 2019

Responses

I was in 8th grade and I remember walking home from school that day crying.  I was alone and crying.  That's my memory.
      November 22, 2019 1:39 PM MST

Yes I remember getting home from school and it was a Big Thing in the News!
    What is going to happen next is what everyone was concerned about. 
      November 22, 2019 2:19 PM MST

I do remember it.  I was at my first job after high school.  One of my friends came into the ladies room and told me that he had been shot.  At that point, we didn't know whether or not he survived.  Those were very dark days.
      November 22, 2019 3:37 PM MST

Every time I see the film of it, I see the second bullet blow the side of his head off and am amazed that anyone thought he might survive. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20.
      November 22, 2019 3:43 PM MST

There was much that they kept out of the media when it actually happened.  It wasn't until later that we got to see the footage and realized that he could never have survived that head shot and, even if he did, would probably never be mentally capable of returning to office.
      November 22, 2019 7:44 PM MST

I was a fetus at the time. Not much I remember about that. 
      November 22, 2019 4:01 PM MST

I barely remember.  An older kid told me that the country was without a president and we could get bombed.  The older ones are so helpful sometimes.....
      November 22, 2019 4:21 PM MST

• Yes, I recall it vividly. Every detail is clear after 56 years. As a matter of fact, the president was buried on my 12th birthday. In the days before satellite or cable television, it was very unusual to have broadcasting around the clock that weekend. I saw Oswald murdered live as it happened after my mother made a chilling prediction about Oswald's death only minutes before it happened. There was, I suppose, a general apprehension that Oswald wouldn't live to stand trial but no one really expected to see it televised as it was.
      November 22, 2019 4:39 PM MST

You may also remember that it was JFK Jr's third birthday. The funeral was in the morning, and Jackie returned to the White House for his birthday party that afternoon.
      November 22, 2019 6:41 PM MST

• So many of the iconic moments that have been revisited a thousand times over the last half century, created an emotional roller coaster for all of us watching as the events unfolded in our living rooms over a four day period. There are a few moments in our history that are both shocking and mesmerizing as to be sealed in one's mind forever. You just know where you were and what you were doing when the news came. 
      November 22, 2019 9:58 PM MST

Although I was only 3, I find myself watching things about it whenever possible.
      November 22, 2019 10:43 PM MST

I was not born yet....so no memory of it. 
      November 22, 2019 4:49 PM MST

I was sitting in my 7th grade science class and the teacher told us the news. Everyone was sent home. I remember mom and a visiting aunt sitting down crying. I was too young to understand the implications of such a thing. I think I was born jaded.
      November 22, 2019 5:43 PM MST

I happened to drive through downtown Dallas on the same route the motorcade was to use about 30 minutes before it was closed to the public.---

(I had occasion to use that route frequently in those days.)---

As I turned left to approach the triple underpass, I glanced at the book depository.---  

The only window open in that building was the top right window on the 6th floor where the shots originated.---

Incredible in retrospect.
      November 22, 2019 7:50 PM MST

• No.  That scene played out before I entered the stage.
      December 25, 2019 2:34 PM MST