Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Music » Can you differentiate between Baroque,Classical, Romantic, and Impressionist compositions or is it all just Classical music to you?

Can you differentiate between Baroque,Classical, Romantic, and Impressionist compositions or is it all just Classical music to you?

Not looking for dictionary or Google definitions.   I mean can you as a listener reliably distinguish between the elaborate ornamentation and melodies of Baroque, the  balanced nuances and clarity of Classical, the Fed emotive and emotive freedom of Romance, and the whimsical, moody, and emotive movements of Impressionism?

Posted - November 24, 2019

Responses

Examples
    Baroque - Arcangelo Corelli - Concerto Grosso No 10 in C Major, Op. 6: II. Allemanda
    Classical - Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No 6, Pastorale
    Romantic - Felix Mendelssohn - Op. 38 No. 2 in C minor: Allegro non troppo
    Impressionism - Claude Debussy - The Snow is Dancing 

But don't ask me about any forms of pop music - I'm a total ignoramus in those areas 

November 24, 2019 5:47 AM MST

• Many people can name examples of each,  I'm asking if they can actually notice the difference in styles and periods.  If they recognize the nuances that make each distinct and different .
      November 24, 2019 5:56 AM MST

Please don't ask me about any forms of classical music; I'm a complete ignoramus in those areas.  All I know is:

A Fifth of Beethoven" is a discoinstrumental recorded by Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band, adapted from the famous first movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's Symphony No. 5. The record was produced by noted production music and sound effects recording producer Thomas J. Valentino.[2] The "Fifth" in the song's title is a pun, referencing a liquid measure approximately equal to one-fifth of a gallon, a popular size for bottles containing hard liquor, as well as Beethoven's Fifth Symphony from which the song was adapted.

However, wWhen when it comes to pop music, I’m a little more down, Homie . . . 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at November 24, 2019 3:18 PM MST
      November 24, 2019 8:08 AM MST

They are all spelled differently.
      November 24, 2019 8:12 AM MST

No, I can't and I don't know one Beethoven symphony from another.  The only classical piecess I can readily identify are the William Tell Overture (from the puffed what commercial), Nessun Dorma, and Adaggio for Strings (the theme from Platoon).  I do, however, know what I like and what I don't.  
      November 24, 2019 8:16 AM MST

• Baroque is probably the easiest to pick up on.   Baroque is all about  grandeur and opulent decorated melodies.  Classical is more about downplaying that and is more elegant and subdued. Baroque would be akin to gawdy while classical would be akin to reserved and refined.
      November 24, 2019 8:30 AM MST

• Absolutely. I've been listening to classical music since I was a toddler and could readily identify features and styles of the major eras of lower-case "classical" (a.k.a. "Western art music") as well as various sub-genres like impressionist and serialist. 

Of course the lines blur during the "transitional" periods. Composers like Beethoven and Schubert blurred the lines between Classical and Romantic. Composers like Mahler blurred the lines between Romantic and Modern. 
      November 24, 2019 10:17 AM MST

• The lines between Romance and Impressionist is very blurry.
      November 24, 2019 3:12 PM MST

Lines ARE very blurry. Only one line IS blurry.
      November 24, 2019 3:17 PM MST

I[m pretty good with those. It is when you break down classical to Neo classical and then have Impressionist art with Post Impressionists.  Then when they break it down further, I am totally lost.  Pop art is pop art and surreal is surreal.  I don't need to have pre-surreal, post impressionist art.  I made that one up.
      November 24, 2019 10:20 AM MST

No. I can only differentiate BETWEEN any two those. However, I can differentiate AMONG three or more.
      November 24, 2019 3:20 PM MST