Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » December oneth tomorrow. Are you going to hibernate now?

December oneth tomorrow. Are you going to hibernate now?

Posted - November 30, 2019

Responses

They are predicting 1-4 inches of snow starting tomorrow into Monday.  If that happens, I will be hibernating.  I went food shopping today, so I'm set for a week at the very least.
      November 30, 2019 6:01 PM MST

Over here, December 1st has already reached five past noon.
    Our start to Summer feels almost miraculous - RAIN.
    In this worst drought ever recorded, we're desperate for it.
    Unfortunately, it's only a few millimetres.
    Still, the sky is overcast, cooling us down by a blessed 10ºC.
    The cicadas, crickets and tree frogs are singing their mating songs.

In a few minutes, I'll be having a bite of early lunch and then off to Lismore to read a short story at the Flamingo Writers Salon.
    I feel so nervous that I will have half a glass of wine to calm the jitters.

November 30, 2019 6:06 PM MST

Why are you so nervous?
      November 30, 2019 6:10 PM MST

Performance anxiety.

I'm actually very good at elocution, phrasing, pacing, modulation and expressive tone.
    I can also focus - block out the audience and zone in on just the language, it's meaning and sound.

But I'm very critical when I'm listening to speakers on radio. 
    If k, t, d and p sounds get muddled and it creates ambiguities or lost words - it niggles me.
    If the ss are too sibilant, the ts too plosive, the ns and ms unclear...
    if whole syllables are missed...

I want to be able to listen to a voice so perfect that the meaning of the story, the quality of expression and the beauty of the language flow seemlessly - no glitches.

It happens in a way that appears effortless and natural.

I'd like to be invited to perform my own writing at the Byron Bay Writers Festival. Some of the organisers will be there in the audience. There will also be publishers, agents and talent scouts.

I'm not happy with 98%. I want to achieve the perfect performance.

I guess I have to accept the truth - perfect is probably unattainable.
      November 30, 2019 6:26 PM MST

Odd. I have never heard of that. Neither have I experienced it. When I first started teaching, I was nervous for about ten minutes. Then I just let it all out. No perfection. Errors I made fun of myself. I was an excellent ad-libber. It's all acting. I could go on, but I am full of myself when I start speaking of such things that I am good at and don't wish to bore you.
      November 30, 2019 6:34 PM MST

No, I quite enjoy winter. 
      November 30, 2019 7:06 PM MST

Not until Jan.
      December 1, 2019 8:06 PM MST