Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What is Time? It is known as the Fourth Dimension. How would you define it?

What is Time? It is known as the Fourth Dimension. How would you define it?

Posted - December 4, 2019

Responses

Actually time was invented by the labor unions so they could fight for a decent hourly wage for the workers. 
      December 5, 2019 11:54 AM MST

You are reading different books than I have---provide a reference or the answer is still the railroads.
      December 8, 2019 10:46 PM MST

• I don't even like to think of illusions, it is hard for me, because I believe that I am a realist. It seems that time runs faster the older I get, but I know also that it is a misconception. Our perception of time is managed by our individual brains and can be distorted by certain circumstances, like a neuro sickness or even a stroke. Ergo: perception can be defective.  When a very young kid thinks that time stands still before Christmas, we can say his brain has not enough experience with time. When I as an old lady think the day races away, it might be that my brain is aging fast and the measurement of time gets screwed up.   
      December 5, 2019 11:41 AM MST

A fourth dimension---but unlike space, one in which we are unable to freely move about in various directions.
      December 5, 2019 11:07 AM MST

• May I be funny within this serious topic: We are free to move in 2 directions: Up to heaven or down to hell. Never mind. I am an atheist or agnostic, whatever comes first. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 9, 2019 9:00 AM MST
      December 5, 2019 11:46 AM MST

No problem---but that movement is---to the best of our knowledge---only possible as a property of a resurrected body.

And that puts that sort of time travel outside of the purview of science.  
      December 8, 2019 10:52 PM MST

• That was a sidestep in fun.....as I said. 
      December 9, 2019 7:18 AM MST

And I'll toss this in since Aristotle's Metaphysics has been previously alluded to:

As created beings, we fulfill our vocations in time.  Change ia a law of our being as we constantly move from potency to act.  And since it is a law of our being, change is not something we should try to get done "ASAP."
      December 8, 2019 10:58 PM MST

Time does not exist until you need to bide it for a moment .
    Time it seems started from nowhere ,before the supposed Big Bang ,what filled this almighty big space that expanding into where ....What is the other side of nowhere and what was there before..?
      December 8, 2019 11:25 PM MST

This may be confusing to read because it is fragmented in my mind as to how to explain my definition.  Please bare with me.

In the overall scheme of things, time is irrelevant.
    The reason being that time is manmade.  

"Time" is always there.  Man just gave it a name.  We gave it a name for organization.
    If you think about it for a "second," ...
    We all work by a clock. 9 to 5.  We do this to organize.  If left to our druthers, some people would mosey to work at 10 am and some at 4 am.
    Manmade time is simply a way to manage our waking hours.  It makes us into drones.
    Pink Floyd, nailed it.  "Welcome to the machine."
    I have always admired the indians and their understanding time.  There were no clocks with hour and second hands. Your body and the earth told you when to plant, when to sleep, when to sow, etc.  There were no traffic jam.  They existed with the earth.  As it traveled through space and around the sun, the earth provided things for them. When the seasons changed, so did they.

It baffles me when people are disappointed about their birthdays.  Birthdays are simply a measurement of how many times the earth has gone around the sun since you have been on earth. Why is that a bad thing?  You aren't expected to do anything in that time by anybody else but yourself. 
    Time has a deadline.  Someday your time will come to die... just like it was your time to be born.  What you do with that space is up to you.
    The space is always there.  Time is a name we gave to have a beginning and an end to that space.

This post was edited by Merlin at December 9, 2019 7:21 AM MST
      December 9, 2019 7:10 AM MST

• Your writing is crystal-clear to me. Nothing to comment about from my side than to say Thank You.
      December 9, 2019 7:23 AM MST

Big smiles and thank you for asking mind-tingling questions. Thinking while traveling through space not only entertains the mind but makes time relevant. That and helping others along their way.
    That is the fun part. ;) :) 

December 9, 2019 8:58 AM MST

Big smiles and thank you for asking mind-tingling questions. Thinking while traveling through space not only entertains the mind but makes time relevant. That and helping others along their way.
    Those are the fun parts. ;) :) 

This post was edited by Merlin at December 9, 2019 9:48 AM MST
      December 9, 2019 8:58 AM MST

Space is that arrangement that matter makes into which to spread its parts.
      December 10, 2019 2:27 PM MST

I'm not feeling your definition yet, Merlin.

Time (the relationship of things that change---which is best understood with Aristotle's "principles of being" as explained in his Metaphysics) exists independently of our measurement of it.

And I am not sure that anything is much more relevant than the concepts of "before" and "after"---with the former allowing for much greater possibilities.
      December 10, 2019 2:50 PM MST

• No matter how physicists or philosophers define it, i think the best definition was given to me by my humble grade 9 physics teacher when he explained to us fundamental and derived units:  
    "Time is a measure of that which changes."
    I think very beautifully put. 
      December 13, 2019 6:30 PM MST