Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » In England,many Brits say "safe home or drive carefully" when leaving someone's home , Americans say ,Have a nice day and do on....

In England,many Brits say "safe home or drive carefully" when leaving someone's home , Americans say ,Have a nice day and do on....

What things do you say when you greet or people ,guests depart or meet you...Many many ask how you are and you might have only seen them the day before..

Posted - December 14, 2019

Responses

Good Question. :)  I haven't really thought about it since I was learning "manners." Now, it just comes out of me, naturally.

It depends on the circumstance and the environment when meeting.
    I say, "It's nice to meet you."  Sometimes, "It's a pleasure to meet you." Sometimes I drop the "It's" part.
    If it is with Don, goofing around, "The pleasure is all yours!" ;) ;).  I would NEVER say that to a stranger or in public to anyone other than Don.  :)

I always say, "It was nice to have met you," when leaving, or something of that nature.  "It was a true pleasure to have met you," or "I hope to see you again, soon." 

I make a point to always thank the host/hostess before leaving and normally make a point of closing when meeting someone for the first time.

This post was edited by Merlin at December 14, 2019 8:58 PM MST
      December 14, 2019 8:23 PM MST

That to me is common courtesy...but to say " Have a nice day" to everyone ,even if you don't like them seems rather odd...
    Its like a policeman that's just gave you a hearty fine  for some really trival thing and wishing a nice day after...to me that's piss taking and so offensive ,it's akin to rubbing salt into the wound they have just inflicted you with...:(
      December 14, 2019 9:03 PM MST