Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Language » If your name is Evan, it rhymes with seven, but it’s not even spelled like “even”, even though even and seven have the same ending as far as

If your name is Evan, it rhymes with seven, but it’s not even spelled like “even”, even though even and seven have the same ending as far as

the way they’re spelled is concerned, yet they’re pronounced differently. Now if your name is Steven, on the other hand, it is pronounced with the same ending sound as even, so why isn’t the number 7 pronounced as sevan to match Evan?  Don’t get me started on Stephan. 

Evan — seven
Even — Steven
Stephan — chiffon

I hate the English language. Grrrrrrrr. 

~

Posted - December 14, 2019

Responses

You can be Naive with Evian if you like for a spell 
    If you write boob backwards  is it true that you can't make mistakes and is the same for Dad ,mum,mom and Madam ....
    Why do Yanks call  their Mums, Moms ....such bad Engrish if you ask me,and if ya don't ask ,it still bad....:( 

What the Hell is a Mom anyway....or even worse ,a Mommy :( 
      December 14, 2019 10:02 PM MST

• Moreover, why isn't Nevan spelled Neven? 

December 14, 2019 11:53 PM MST

Maybe it was.  Maybe the doctors and nurses at the hospital couldn't read your mom's handwriting or misunderstood.  I happen to like Nevan. :) :)
      December 15, 2019 2:36 AM MST

Just to get even, at 7,  Evan took Stephan to the chiffon show.

However it is spelled, when used properly, the English language can be written with elegance and spoken beautifully.
    It used to be a rather polite language.  Not any more, it seems. This post was edited by Merlin at December 15, 2019 2:37 AM MST
      December 15, 2019 2:35 AM MST

A colleague named Evangelina, we call her Evan but it never sounded like Seven!
      December 22, 2019 2:29 AM MST