Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Which Spirit would you most like to have visit you? The ghost of Christmas Past, Present, or Future? And I'll not tolerate "Bah Humbugs!"

Which Spirit would you most like to have visit you? The ghost of Christmas Past, Present, or Future? And I'll not tolerate "Bah Humbugs!"

Posted - December 16, 2019

Responses

Present.
    Presently I'll come back to why.

My past Christmases were almost traditional. Mum, an agnostic who was born into a nominally Anglican family, thought that Christmas was a great custom to maintain because it taught the principle of generosity.
    She did it in pretty grand style, organising lots of gifts for my sister, father and self - including gifts from Santa. There was also the ritual of wrapping gifts to be sent as parcels to various distant friends. She taught us how to select a gift with the recipient's tastes and needs uppermost in mind, how to compose the words for the wishes in the cards, and how to write with a legible hand.
    Dad would start on the champaign at breakfast time, mixed with freshly squeezed orange juice at first, and then neat. By lunchtime, he'd be pickled drunk.
    Mum would do the whole Christmas dinner thing - a gigantic roast turkey that took at least a week to eat, glazed ham with crackling and apple sauce, three veggies - then the Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. Ridiculous in the hot Australian summer when the only thing anyone wants is to swim, keep cool and eat a bit of salad. (It was a common thing back then. These days, Aussies do lobsters, shrimp and oysters.)

Dad, on the other hand, was the bah-humbug type. He loathed pretence and pretentiousness of all kinds. He was an atheist and so he considered it hypocritical and unnecessary to celebrate a rite he saw as rooted in mythology and superstition. He would sit with us while we opened our gifts. The gifts from him were actually from Mum; she'd write his name on the card. He'd complain about the mess of unwrappings scattered about, and the expense (even though we were not poor.) His family were poor. They went to the local Methodist church for the service, and later shared one pound of cherries between them, and that was it.

For many years, while Mum was alive, I followed her custom to please her.
    Since then. I haven't bothered. It's a relief in many ways. The cost was always a source of suffering, stress and going without at home in order to be able to meet her standards and expectations.
    Ari and I celebrate the Summer Solstice by rising in the dark, making a cup of tea, and going outside to sit, watch the sun come up, and listen to the birdsong.
    We both love having a day of complete relaxation and rest.
      December 16, 2019 6:41 PM MST

• "Ari and I celebrate the Summer Solstice by rising in the dark, making a cup of tea, and going outside to sit, watch the sun come up, and listen to the birdsong.

We both love having a day of complete relaxation and rest."

I remember you and I discussing Christmas once before through online correspondence and you shared with me yours and Ari's traditions.  Some special time spent with nature, whether it be serene and peaceful or even cacophonous, is always a celebration.

"Dad would start on the champaign at breakfast time, mixed with freshly squeezed orange juice at first, and then neat. By lunchtime, he'd be pickled drunk."

I laughed so hard. 

These precious gemstones of memory that you share with us from time to time are a true joy.
    I love how you sprinkle them liberally throughout various posts causing this site to shimmer with all the light and wonder and colours of you.
      December 16, 2019 7:19 PM MST

Thank you, Twinkle. :)
    Now I know for certain that you are the same wonderful rainbow person with whom I often shared correspondence.

I left the site back then due to an unfortunate virtual-affair.
    I had fallen into it. I think at the time I was lonely and unfulfilled - looking for literary and intellectual partners and not fully recognising a deeper need below the surface. The fellow who cyber-seduced me later turned out to be into practices that were not to my taste. On top of that, he had a seasonal affective disorder which began to manifest it's symptoms - except I didn't know this background fact until it was too late.
    Later, I left the site again due to another fellow - not the same situation at all - but got out before it had a chance to turn really bad.

At other times I've been absent due to the demands of university reading schedules and deadlines for assignments.

All in all it's made me a very patchy Mugger.

But you are one of my dearest friends here. I hope our connection will continue and thrive.

As to the anecdotes - I'm glad they have that effect.

In Creative Writing, one of the first principles we learn is "Show. Don't tell."
    The trick is learning how.
    I still flip-flop between the two.
    But with you here, I will redouble my efforts to polish my pen.

Much love to you,
    Manna.
      December 16, 2019 7:37 PM MST

Off  the cuff, I'd say "Present," simply because my goal is to live in the present without my sometimes-tendency to create excess worries about potential 'What-If's' of the future and/or creating 'What-If's' of the past -- "Oh, that happened/they said/did that -- so, that means . . . " and Welby jumps to a negative scenario without any evidence. :)

(I'm actually much better at not doing these things. and getting better all the time. And NONE of any of my fabricated negative scenarios have ever happened, ha.)

So, my answer here probably has nothing to do with A Christmas Carol though.
    :)
      December 16, 2019 7:16 PM MST

• Any moment that includes you, be it bygone, current, or still to come, is a special moment indeed, Welby.  You are a wise man to live in the here and now.  Enjoy every tic and toc of eternity's clock.  And yes your answer absolutely reflects a bit of "A Christmas Carol's" sensibilities.  It is the story of a man who lets go of the negatives in life whether real or imagined in order to better himself.  By your own admission you are attempting the same.  May God bless you.  May God bless us everyone.  (I feel like our comments need an Aimee Mann song.  LOL!  I'll post one of our faves in keeping with the topic..."Jacob Marley's Chains.

December 16, 2019 7:43 PM MST

Thank you so much, Twinkle. I appreciate your thoughts about and kindness to me.

Aimee!
    Aimee!
    Aimee!

YessSSSS!

We have to get back to that "Statement" post of a while ago that you and I turned into an Aimee thread!

She simply and utterly melts me - - must be her last name, ha!
    ;)
      December 16, 2019 8:47 PM MST

• Which one is it that looks kind of like a sexy snow queen ?

Sneezy?

Moe? 

Phoebe? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 17, 2019 10:25 AM MST
      December 16, 2019 10:36 PM MST

I have wonderful spirits surrounding me at all times.  They are suggesting I come back to this question. That will include past, present, and future.
    Aren't they amazing?  I love them immensely and listen to their suggestions as often as possible.
    My spirit of Christmas Past just reminded me I have yet another question I have put on hold.
    I would like to go and answer that question before this. I will, however, happily come back and answer this one as well.
    ;) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at December 17, 2019 10:35 AM MST
      December 17, 2019 10:34 AM MST