Active Now

Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Could Atheists and (Other) Believers BOTH Be Right?

Could Atheists and (Other) Believers BOTH Be Right?

Could it be that faith is what generates or 'creates' an afterlife? Could it be that belief in God or an afterlife is what opens the door to an alternate reality?

Consider:

Quantum Theory Demonstrated: Observation Affects Reality

Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness May 27, 2015

Posted - September 17, 2016

Responses

September 19, 2016 2:55 AM MDT

Maybe there are things we are destined never to know...

September 19, 2016 2:55 PM MDT

Nah if there is something more to be aware of I have faith that nature will cause evolution of another sense of some sort to enable us to become perceptive to it.
      September 19, 2016 3:43 PM MDT

Destined implies direction.  Are ya sure you wanna go there? :-D

September 19, 2016 5:43 PM MDT

Faith? 

Isn't it odd how all these types of conversations come back to faith? I believe you're right, though. After all, reality molds itself according to observer expectations, and faith is what gets us there.  I think there's a clue, here, as to why all of the disparate religions of the world insist on theirs being the "one, true God."  If reality is molded by faith, then each of the disparate belief systems is right...for those who adopt that system.  When I die I will return to a loving God full of limitless compassion and mercy whereas, say, a Muslim will return to ... 'allah.'  Shiver me timbers!

September 19, 2016 5:51 PM MDT

Either there is some objectively real form of "afterlife", or there isn't. Belief, or disbelief, might change an individual's perception of the dying process, but dead is dead. Additionally, don't some people find religion after "near death experiences"? Or at least what they believe were near death experiences?
      September 19, 2016 10:31 PM MDT

Yes, some do, but must have had some sort of spiritual belief in the first place to believe that the illusion is a spiritual event rather than a purely physiological effect.

I do not deny that such events occur, but do not believe them to be more than internal. It's possible that a certain self-generation occurs, but as I am not a psychologist or neuroscientist I don't know how they work.

(Similar events usually noted anecdotally include the feeling of looking down on one's self from above, suddenly falling when actually lying in bed, and certain "ghostly" visitations. These have been investigated, and are just short-term, internal phenomena. The difficulty is that for years the anecdotes were dismissed as foolish, rather than accepted as having genuinely been felt, so realised as internally-generated illusions that can be studied properly.) 

September 20, 2016 2:53 AM MDT