Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » How thick is your skin?

How thick is your skin?

How well do you handle criticism?

Usually I handle them well, but then there are days when my feelings get easily hurt... My feelings are stupid :|

Posted - September 17, 2016

Responses

How well I handle criticism depends entirely on how much I like/respect the opinions of the giver.  If I like or respect you, your criticism carries more weight than if I do not.  Hence my 'skin' will be 'thinner' to those whose criticisms I value.  My wife's lightest criticisms are as sharp as knives, for example, whereas the heaviest barbs from people on the Net are, for the most part, meaningless noise.

September 18, 2016 3:27 AM MDT

Nimitz - I can relate.... which is why it does puzzle me when people get very upset over some comments online.
      September 18, 2016 3:47 AM MDT

I think the average user today hasn't been online for very long and prolly hasn't had a lot of experience with really nasty trolls, creeps, stalkers, tag-teamers, etc.  By contrast, I've been hammering keyboard since my early teens. I've seen all manner of some of the ugliest crap to see a screen.  I'm a bit tougher than most...but nowhere close as tough as some. :-)

It's all relative or a matter of perspective, in other words.  Most--but certainly not all--newbies (online for no longer than a year) nowadays are as tough or tougher than I was after my first five years online, but that's mainly because the environment in which we live (online and off) is so much more hostile than it was "in my day." I'll be forty come November. :-)

September 18, 2016 3:53 AM MDT

"My feelings are stupid :|" <------- It's this kind of criticism that hurts your feelings, you need to be on your feeling's side, say "My feelings are the best" instead.

Be good to your feelings and they'll be good to you. It's basic science.

Come on feelings, let's go feel some stuff.

OK Wade, let's go!

Sausages.

September 18, 2016 4:05 AM MDT

Dr. W. Wilson!! Here, have a sausage :D
      September 18, 2016 4:18 AM MDT

In contrast, I really haven't been "online" as much, at least, not in the manner you speak of... I first saw it on EP, where I was taken aback by some of the vitriol that was thrown around. But again, after a while it's hard to take something personally when those words essentially come from strangers who know next to nothing about you. I've been the subject of some racist remarks once some people find out that I'm Southeast Asian but I feel like that says more about them than me.

But there are days when they get to me... Especially if I was having a bad day.

Anyway, thanks for your comment!
      September 18, 2016 4:22 AM MDT

• Very thick. Say what you want about me, very few peoples opinions matter at all to me.
      September 18, 2016 7:01 AM MDT

Personal criticism; I'm really bad at handling. I may act like I do handle it pretty well, but it's all a cover cause I'm deeply insecure. But to me it isn't the same as being "easily offended", cause when it comes to that I don't consider myself to be one. 

September 18, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

Very thin.  I get hurt easily.

September 18, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

It depends what is behind it and how it's done.  

People that truly care about you will be able to approach you in private and not make you feel attacked.  Don't ever let someone tell you that you are just being thinned skinned if you express a hurt.  Feeling hurt and admitting it is actually pretty healthy imho. 

I worry more about people that lash out at others under the pretense of not being hurt.

September 18, 2016 1:37 PM MDT

I think it's about 1mm thick but umm yeah I'm kind of sensitive but I think criticism is overrated.  Lots of people just use it as an excuse to be jerks.

September 18, 2016 6:21 PM MDT

When I get too thick, I go back to Jenny Craig.

September 18, 2016 6:35 PM MDT

I think that we have vulnerabilities that would probably hurt when someone stabs at it... I struggle with it too. I act like I'm okay by laughing it off and making self-deprecating comments, but it doesn't really do much for my self-esteem.
      September 18, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

Ah yes... Those who always have their defences up and come out with fists swinging when they perceive something as a personal attack... I agree. Thanks for your comment!
      September 18, 2016 10:00 PM MDT

LOL!
      September 18, 2016 10:00 PM MDT

Some people do. When you make mention of your hurt, they laugh and say you're too sensitive, which makes you feel even worse. I don't really understand why they'd make those remarks that are more destructive than constructive.
      September 18, 2016 10:01 PM MDT

It depends on a lot of things, my skin is thinner in some places than in others, but overall my skin could use a few more layers. 

I've become very good at avoiding criticism, and I never learned how to respond to, or deal with, criticism very well because of it.

September 19, 2016 1:15 AM MDT

If you are online long enough you will develop a tough skin.

There are very few things that really get to me now, but it does happen once in awhile.

I can take what I give, where many people can't.

September 19, 2016 11:17 AM MDT

September 19, 2016 11:43 AM MDT

•  haha

September 19, 2016 10:47 PM MDT

• I'm a princess...what do you think??   :-)

Thick for the most part, thin sometimes, like others have said it depends on who's giving the criticism.

September 19, 2016 10:50 PM MDT

pretty good but that dont mean i like it

September 25, 2016 8:42 PM MDT