Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » WHITE FRIGHT is gonna make the GOP extinct. People of color will be the majority. Whites don't have a chance. Do they know?

WHITE FRIGHT is gonna make the GOP extinct. People of color will be the majority. Whites don't have a chance. Do they know?

Posted - January 3, 2020

Responses

Around the globe, people of colour always have been the majority.

America's such a vast country but, in some ways, it is isolated from the rest of the world.
    It tends to be parochial, to think that it is the world and nothing else matters much, except perhaps as a convenient resource for trade.
    And woe betides any country that refuses to trade on America's terms.

But whites only had supremacy through the technologies of travel, communications, and arms.
    It cannot last.
    Others will attain those technologies eventually whether America likes it or not.
    Some of them will aim only for greater comfort. Some will seek revenge.
    America does not have and could not gain access to endless resources.
    Therefore, at a certain point it will pass its peak and meet the same fate that Great Britain now suffers.
    This is not personal to America; it is the rise and fall that happens to all great states.
    Nothing lasts forever.
    Not even the Earth itself.
      January 3, 2020 5:31 PM MST

You are way too wise for the GOP.  You need to stoop to the level of the unlearned.  You need to understand that most of the GOP have zero idea what lies around the globe.  Or even the state adjacent to theirs.  
      January 3, 2020 5:41 PM MST

The Grand Old Party is a broad church I think,
    containing people who are right-wing capitalist libertarians at the left end of their spectrum
    and authoritarian, nationalist-racist supremacists at the far right.

Yes, I've noticed that many don't know what goes on with their neighbours in Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
    One - I won't mention her name - once told me she doesn't know and doesn't care.
    She said she believes that what goes on in the rest of the world has no effect on her.
    At one point she admitted that she left school very young and hasn't bothered with getting an education.
    She worked at jobs that were unskilled and easy to get - and eventually rose up to a managerial position and did quite well.
    This success makes her feel that her way is the only right way.
    She claims to be a devout Christian but she's done things that no genuine believer could. The hypocrisy is another thing that drives me crazy.
    And yet she doesn't see it. She's absolutely blind to it.
    I have felt so incredibly sad reading her various replies over the years, piecing together this picture of the kind of person she is.
    She represents the archetype of Trump's voter base, utterly loyal to him no matter what. She believes the right-wing rhetoric that claims it is the only way to provide economic security. And she believes his personal transgressions are irrelevant as long as he delivers what he promises, or at least attempts to.

Without her knowing it, her very existence triggers feelings of despair in me - both for social progress and for global warming and the environment. She and the billions of her kind are the cause of our planet's imminent global catastrophe.
    She won't change. She's happy as she is. And she'll remain lost in the delusions of her denial until the day it all catches up with her at the personal level. Even then, she'll say something like, "but there have always been droughts and floods, this is nothing new."

January 3, 2020 6:04 PM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful reply bw. I can always count on you to give me replies that are very substantive and of value. We are going through some especially rought times here. "THIS TOO SHALL PASS". When we don't know.  Sigh. :(
      January 4, 2020 2:31 AM MST

I've been keeping my eye on the Trumpian news.
    The latest attack on Iran - killing their general - bothers me.
    I think most countries would take such an act as sufficient to provoke full-scale war.

I hope wiser heads will prevail.

But if the USA and Iran go to war each side will suck in its allies
    and the result will be horrific for the world.

Trump causes me endless dismay.

My dearest wish is that the electoral college would be dismissed by an amendment to the constitution.
    I don't think the conservatives would let it happen,
    but I think the USA would have a fairer democracy if the people's vote could not be changed at the electoral college level.

January 4, 2020 6:49 AM MST

Yes,  the dinosaurs have awareness.  They realize they are doomed as doomed can be.  
      January 3, 2020 5:39 PM MST

I think we grieve together, Sharona,
    together with Rosie and others like us who read the global news every day
    and who care about all lives,
    not just our own.
      January 3, 2020 6:08 PM MST

:):):)
      January 4, 2020 2:32 AM MST

When something is inevitable the wise adjust adapt. The stupid dumbs think they have power to stop it or slow it down. That is why they are the stupid dumbs. Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 4, 2020 2:32 AM MST