Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Math » Prove that you understand the term Verschränkung ?

Prove that you understand the term Verschränkung ?

I'll know if you cheat now.

Posted - September 18, 2016

Responses

Ok, I give up.

~

September 18, 2016 11:01 PM MDT

Look up Schroedinger's Cat.  The answer lies in there somewhere.

September 18, 2016 11:44 PM MDT

According to your reply for Randy, you are looking for the term Verschränkung in the context of Schrödinger's cat, which will be quantum entanglement, according to Wikipedia:

"Quantum entanglement is a physical phenomenon that occurs when pairs or groups of particles are generated or interact in ways such that the quantum state of each particle cannot be described independently of the others, even when the particles are separated by a large distance – instead, a quantum state must be described for the system as a whole."

If you want to understand the term Verschränkung as part of the German vocabulary there will be a fine definition in Duden:

Ver­schrän­kung, die
    Wortart: Substantiv, feminin

RECHTSCHREIBUNG 
    Worttrennung: Ver|schrän|kung

BEDEUTUNGSÜBERSICHT 
    das Verschränken; das Verschränktwerden
    (Musik) das Ineinandergreifen zweier musikalischer Phrasen, wobei der Schluss der ersten zugleich der Anfang einer neuen Phrase ist

AUSSPRACHE 
    Betonung: Verschrạ̈nkung

GRAMMATIK 
    SINGULAR/PLURAL
    NOMINATIV die Verschränkung/die Verschränkungen
    GENITIV der Verschränkung/der Verschränkungen
    DATIV der Verschränkung/den Verschränkungen
    AKKUSATIV die Verschränkung/die Verschränkungen

BEDEUTUNGEN, BEISPIELE UND WENDUNGEN 

1. das Verschränken; das Verschränktwerden
      Beispiel
      <in übertragener Bedeutung>: eine Verschränkung (Sprachwissenschaft; Vermischung) des Infinitivs mit dem Hauptsatz
    2. das Ineinandergreifen zweier musikalischer Phrasen (2b), wobei der Schluss der ersten zugleich der Anfang einer neuen Phrase (2b) ist
      Gebrauch
      Musik
      September 19, 2016 2:45 AM MDT

• Isn't that your world view ... The way you interpret things ?
      September 19, 2016 3:13 AM MDT

WHEW great job.  Thank you for doing all that work.  Now I can just refer answers to YOUR answer. 

September 19, 2016 9:11 AM MDT

oz, beats the *(&*(^&*(& out of me, girl. 

But Sapphic Heart has got it DOWN if you want to know about this question in depth.

September 19, 2016 9:12 AM MDT

• Lol... Thank you Sharonna ... I agree with you re the depth of Sapphi answer... But why do i walk away with a sneaking suspicion there may, just may have been some cutting and pasting here, hmmmm?

September 19, 2016 3:23 PM MDT

It's hopefully not a sneaking suspicion as I stated it. However I knew them both as I've been looking into the subject of Schrödinger's cat before, and I do know the German language. For definitions however I found it better to stick to Wikipedia and Duden.
      September 19, 2016 3:32 PM MDT

Thanks, it's my pleasure. I have actually looked up Schrödinger's cat once before and new to this from back that time. As for the German it's not any new knowledge either for me. I do know the German language.
      September 19, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

• I always knew you were smart ... Amongst other talents :)

September 19, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

Aww. Thanks sweetie. Takes one to know one. :-)
      September 19, 2016 4:05 PM MDT

Apparently it means quantum entanglement in German, which I admit I know only what popular science has taught me. Apparently the quantum states of pairs of particles can become "entangled" such that when the state (such as spin, polarization etc) of one is measured, then the state of the other particle is certain to be the opposite. This is the case even if the particles become separated by great distances. This appears to create a paradox because information about the distant particle can be known instantaneously, which would violate a fundamental principle that information can't be transmitted faster than the speed of light.

The catch, and the way I think the paradox is resolved (maybe, please correct me if I'm wrong), is that the state of the particle that is measured directly is in a quantum superposition (that is, it's in more than one state simultaneously), and due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle (which says that two particles can't have all the same quantum states and occupy the same position at the same time), the entangled particles must necessarily have the opposite state. So, it's kind of like having a pair of gloves, left and right, put in separate boxes, and mixed up so that we don't know which is which. If you mail one to Los Angeles, and one to New York, and the box in New York is opened, and it's a left hand glove, you know that the one in L.A. is a right handed glove, and we don't see any paradox there. So it is the same with the entangled particles.

September 19, 2016 4:20 PM MDT

Quantum entanglement it is.

My head hurts on many levels

September 19, 2016 4:47 PM MDT

Once you get your mind around the idea that not only is the case that we don't know what state a particle is in, when it's in superposition, but that it actually is in more than one state, it's all smooth sailing from there. Ah, who am I kidding, I literally do have a headache now.

September 19, 2016 4:55 PM MDT

I don't understand the term "Verschränkung". It looks like German to me, and I didn't study German in school. Therefore I would be cheating if I "proved" that I do understand it.

September 19, 2016 5:00 PM MDT

• I have an idea, let's put Schrödinger in the box, and let the poor cat out.

September 19, 2016 5:04 PM MDT

LOL 

September 19, 2016 5:10 PM MDT

Lolz.
      September 19, 2016 10:47 PM MDT

I know that part, it is the Proving and the explanation that makes me dizzy.

September 20, 2016 8:16 AM MDT

Hello?  This is Answer Mug not class. You cannot cheat.  You can however be NOT lazy and look it up and try a stab at it. 

I think Shcroedinger's Cat ate your homework that's what I think.

September 20, 2016 8:17 AM MDT