Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Where does it say in the Constitution that one of the jobs of the President is to PROVIDE JOBS to the citizens?

Where does it say in the Constitution that one of the jobs of the President is to PROVIDE JOBS to the citizens?

Posted - September 19, 2016

Responses

Yo Momma , The Constitution is a basic framework of our Republic.... It IS NOT an all inclusive instruction manual for operating the USA. Hope this helps.

September 19, 2016 4:37 AM MDT

The "Commerce Clause" in Article I, Section 8 states that Congress shall have the power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes..."

How the Congress and the President choose to regulcommerce will have a direct impact on the lose and creation of jobs. NAFTA is the perfect example of something a President did that lost millions of American jobs.
      September 19, 2016 5:12 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

Well, of course, it DOESN'T say that anywhere...  But, that's not the ONLY right wing lie..  They'll also tell you that the FIRST job of the president is to PROTECT the people..  But, NEITHER of those things are in the Constitution.  I dunno HOW a group of people SAY they love the Constitution, but have NO clue what it says...

In fact, his ONLY job, is to obey the Constitution..  PERIOD!

excon

September 19, 2016 5:44 AM MDT

I Googled  what the job of a prez is as outlined in the constitution excon and there are ten things listed. All it says is that he will be Commander-in-Chief. I don't know what that means because he can't declare war. Congress does that. I honestly think the Constitution supporters haven't read it so they are just going by hearsay from the standard ordinary typical average script. They say what they are SUPPOSED TO SAY but don't know that is bullsh**! I think that is why they love the CHIEF BULLSH ** er so much. He is one of them.  I guess all will be revealed. I can hardly wait. Thank you for your reply excon. At least I KNOW you have read it! :)

September 19, 2016 6:21 AM MDT

Hello again, Rosie:

Look into Article ll, Section One, Clause 8.  It's where the Constitution tells the president what his ONLY duty is, and then it makes him SWEAR to DO it: 

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

I don't see anything about jobs in there, or protecting the people...  I just don't..  But, we have people here who MAKE up things the Constitution says..  Maybe THEY can find those words..

excon

September 19, 2016 6:32 AM MDT

You are reading so much into it m2c. Have you Googled "The Job Description of the President according to the Constitution"? I just asked a  question suggesting that all Constitution lovers read it. Ten things are listed there. You might find it interesting. Thank you for your reply.   So the prez works unilaterally to create things? I thought  Congress and the Senate had to vote to approve what the prez did. Did he do this by Executive order? Clinton was the one who did it. How did he do it? Just wondering

September 19, 2016 6:34 AM MDT

Google it excon and you will see the list of 10 jobs. "Job description of the President of the United States According to the Constitution". It will tell you and I expect all of what is there is listed somewhere in the Constitution. Item one says he is Commander in Chief.

September 19, 2016 6:41 AM MDT

It doesn't. But it does of the Commerce Clause, as my2cents, points out. When the government regulates commerce between countries and States, they have the ability to 'create' or 'destroy' jobs.

BUT, presidents and candidates for the office have pushed the 'provide jobs' mantra ever since I can remember. The majority of the people want good paying jobs to support their families and their lifestyle. It would be kind of stupid for a candidate to say otherwise. Even Pres. Obama, in 2009 said he'd create 5 million green jobs.

September 19, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

Hello Once:

A "basic framework", huh?  I guess that means we can do a whole lot of making up about what it says, then.. 

But, we can't, of course, because the Constitution IS an all inclusive instruction manual for operating a country..  Hope this helps.

excon

September 19, 2016 6:44 AM MDT

Hello again, Rosie:

I have another thought...  Some people say the way to create jobs, is to let the job creators get away with NOT paying taxes..  Government CAN do that, of course, but it's a short sighted approach.

What liberals want to do, is create an ENVIRONMENT where it's EASY for job creators to get established..  That means building and maintaining infrastructure..  A job creator NEEDS a modern airport.  A job creator NEEDS good roads and bridges to transport his goods to market.  He NEEDS an educated workforce.  He NEEDS a modern power grid.  He NEEDS a city where people want to live.

Those are a few of the things job creators NEED, and only government can provide them - yet right wingers won't.  I dunno why.  I was watching the Formula 1 race yesterday from Singapore.  It's a gleaming MODERN hip city like we USED to have..  Anyway, one of the drivers threw a cigarette butt on the ground, and was promptly arrested for it.  They take clean streets seriously..  Of course, right wingers would NEVER pass REGULATIONS like that here...

excon

September 19, 2016 7:08 AM MDT

8: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Yes I know it says "Constitution".

National defense is the priority job of the national government. Article One, Section Eight of the Constitution lists 17 separate powers that are granted to the Congress. Six of those powers deal exclusively with the national defense—far more than any other specific area of governance—and grant the full range of authorities necessary for establishing the defense of the nation as it was then understood. Congress is given specific authority to declare war, raise and support armies, provide for a navy, establish the rules for the operation of American military forces, organize and arm the militias of the states, and specify the conditions for converting the militias into national service.

Article Two establishes the President as the government’s chief executive officer.
      September 19, 2016 7:08 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

I don't disagree with anything you said.  But, the question is about presidential power, not the congress..

excon

September 19, 2016 7:37 AM MDT

September 19, 2016 7:47 AM MDT

Mahalo for your reply and link OS.

September 19, 2016 12:28 PM MDT

Where does it say in the Constitution that a President is supposed to take credit for any employment opportunities that may be created during their term? That seems to happen a LOT even if those opportunities don't come close to making up for the better jobs that were destroyed during their administration; funny how that works . . .

But maybe it is in there? It's probably mixed in with the language that allows him (or her) to consider the Constitution to be a "suggestion" to follow rather than the Supreme Law of the Land, that legislation through Executive Order thing? Probably somewhere between that and the President's "obligation" to take control of and then lie about things like healthcare ("if you like your doctor you can keep you doctor" and "healthcare costs are going to go down by 25%) and "shovel ready' jobs (see, the current President talked about creating jobs so it MUST be a Constitutional responsibility?) Or maybe it's after the clause that lets the President ignore due process if drones and Hellfire missiles are involved. There's SO many places in the Constitution where it could be hiding . . .

September 19, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

It is listening the rest responsibilities of the federal government....the President is the head of the federal government.
      September 19, 2016 1:33 PM MDT

September 19, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

The Commander in Chief Clause of Article II, Section 2 provides that “ThePresident shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States.”

A job of the Commander in Chief is to protect the nation and yes, its people.

September 19, 2016 2:07 PM MDT

Hello again, my:

Nahhh...  He RUNS the executive branch, but congress PAYS for it, SETS the rules for it. and CREATES  it, or DESTROYS it at their will..  The president is ANYTHING but in charge of it.  As evidence, if Obama was in charge of the federal government, GITMO would be CLOSED.  You know that, and I know that.

excon

September 19, 2016 2:16 PM MDT

• Rosie, you keep referring to a google search you did. Why not just post the damn link and save all the time to search. Back up your point with the reference, and many more will show interest. If your question is open ended, you got their replies. 

September 19, 2016 2:17 PM MDT

Hello again, More:

Nobody argued that the president isn't supposed to protect his people - especially not me.  When I raised the question above, it was about the PRIMARY job presidents have..  Mentioning one responsibility among others does NOTHING to forward that argument..  Try again.

excon

September 19, 2016 2:27 PM MDT

Wasn't it Ike who created the US highway system excon? A Republican prez did that. I wonder why the Republican party has allowed itself to be so badly run down that the RNC Chairman Reince Preibus threatened those Republicans who refuse to back Trump with having the RNC desert them when/if they want to run for office. Imagine that?  The only regulations they wants are those that harm us in our personal lives. When it comes to making out like bandits in business/financially they don't want no lousy rules/regs . Bandits.  Yep. That's what they all iz!  Thank you for your reply excon and Happy Tuesday!  :)

September 20, 2016 2:34 AM MDT

Hello there Rosie

Hello there ex...

Here is he danger in saying "never"...

I am, as you say, a right winger..so does that mean I would "never....."

Well allow me to demonstrate how wrong your statement is.

see here for a right winger's thoughts on this

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/so-it-is-the-government-that-provides-jobs-then-the-business?commentId=6445461%3AComment%3A1561804

and here...

http://answermug.com/forum/topics/preserving-the-environment-versus-destroying-it-with-harmful?commentId=6445461%3AComment%3A1641794

September 20, 2016 10:39 AM MDT

If the Presidential shoe fits, they should wear it.   No matter what the Constitution says about it.  If they did generate jobs, so be IT.

September 20, 2016 10:43 AM MDT