Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Has your entire family gotten flu shots for this year?

Has your entire family gotten flu shots for this year?

4-year-old Jade De Lucia is now blind and almost died from weeks-long struggle with the flu. Her mom got her a flu shot the prior March but did not know she needed another shot in the fall to protect against the upcoming flu season. Flu can lead to complications which can cause what Jade went through. FYI. Very tragic what can happen when we put off doing what we should do.

Posted - January 13, 2020

Responses

Every year there's always a tragic story related to the flu; and it almost always involves an innocent child.  90% of the time the tragedy could have been avoided/prevented. 
    While 12,000 to over 50,000 people in the US die from the flu every year, the media always seems to focus on 1 or 2 children; the rest are simply statistics.  While seeing an innocent child die or become maimed by the flu is heartbreaking, every death or mutilation caused by the flu is a tragedy - whether the person was <1 or >100.
    Flu shots aren't 100% perfect.  In fact, they're roughly 50% effective.  But that 50% is better than nothing.  The airplane you're in is going to crash.  There's 100% chance that you'll die when it hits the ground.  However, there's a device on board that gives you a 50/50 chance of surviving.  What do you do?

There's no excuse for not getting a flu shot.  Many insurances don't charge for a flu shot (preventive medicine).  Some counties sponsor free flu shot clinics every year.  My country even sponsors a free 'flu-drive-thru' program every year - simply drive in, roll down your window and roll up your sleeve, get a flu shot and you're on your way.
      January 13, 2020 10:32 AM MST

Some parents refuse the shots for their kids insistsing it causes autism. Children die because of it. Do you prosecute the parents for neglect..child endangerment? No. You don't. More kids die next year. Whatever. Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply Shuhak. Parents think they know what is best for their child. Parents think they know everything. Child obesity is an EPIDEMIC in the US thanks to these smart parents. Go figger!
      January 13, 2020 11:00 AM MST

I think they should be prosecuted. 

The problem MAY (I emphasize MAY) not be the vaccine that causes the problem, but how they’re administered.  Some doctors give out lump vaccines (especially to very young children).  Sometimes this can cause a child to have reactions, as their bodies can’t tolerate it.   Even my cat can’t have more than one shot per day.  A parent may assume that a reaction is due to a vaccine when it’s actually a reaction to having too many shots at once (even doctors may misdiagnose this).  Then they tell their friends what happened, who in turn tell their friends, and so on.  Many people simply believe what they’re told instead of looking into it first (much like Celiac disease where many people think they are allergic to gluten when in reality only 5-6% actually do).  Thus, misinformation spreads.  Soon we have anti-vaxxers (non-religious ones).  This leads to very sick or dead children and diseases, which were thought to be wiped out, resurfacing and turning into epidemics - where people of all ages suffer.

Child obesity can be caused to the fact that non-nutritious foods are cheaper than nutritious ones.  If one is trying to stretch their food dollar, they will buy as cheaply as they can (even my parents did this).  Look in an average store circular.  Note that there are more non-nutritious items than there are nutritious ones.  Most “quick” foods (not fast foods) aren’t good for a person (read the labels).  Then there’s the convince of fast foods (sure beats cooking a meal after having to work two jobs just to pay the rent).  Ordering a pizza is quick and easy, but it isn’t nutritious.  In the last store I worked for, candy sales made up 7% of the total daily sales. 7% per day!  That’s a LOT of sugar!   Granted adults eat candy too, but still… 

January 13, 2020 1:23 PM MST

That is an EXCELLENT point Shuhak! Even our vet didn't give our cat all his shots at once. They were staggered over a few weeks each year or whatever the frequency was and she told us the reason for it. So if it's true for our pets it is certainly true or truer for humans. There are some drugs that caution you not to take them if you have had certain shots within a certain period of time. That might even account for a majority of the bad reactions and why doctors don't know this I cannot say. I think children are either victims or beneficiaries of the kind of parents they have. There is no middle ground. You either are a winner or a loser..no draw. I'm gonna ask. The parents who shout loudest that they know what's best for their children probably have obese kids and they're probably obese too and the obesity doesn't end with the body. They're fatheads as well. It angers me bigly how victimized kids are and their parents are dam* proud of it! Talk about deaf dumb and blind! Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 15, 2020 4:33 AM MST
      January 14, 2020 2:26 AM MST

We've had every shot except that one. Flu shots aren't broad spectrum, they can only protect against one or very few specific strains - they're only guessing which bug will bite you. If and when they come up with one that protects against all strains of flu, I'll get it.
      January 14, 2020 3:06 AM MST

I know. The manufacturers are always running behind the morphing of the germs from one strain to another and can never get ahead of it. We're told this flu season will be a doozy..one of the very worst. Jim and I got our flu shots in September. Kaiser Insurance is always on top of things as much as any insurance company can be. Still I read that maybe 50% of the shots will protect and the rest? Who knows?. So we gamble that taking the shot will be better than not. So far so good but how long that will last? Once again Who knows? Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 15, 2020 4:36 AM MST

No. I had a flu shot once 20 yrs ago. Have not bothered since. 
      January 14, 2020 7:45 AM MST

You're gambling with your health m2c. What about your children? Are they gambling too because of you? Good luck. Thank you for your reply.
      January 15, 2020 4:37 AM MST

Is just a flu. I do not beieve in the shots. I think they weaken your natural immune system. 
      January 15, 2020 5:50 AM MST

No.  I take Boiron homeopathic meds and I don't have a flu problem.
      January 14, 2020 7:58 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon. Hope that result continues.
      January 15, 2020 4:38 AM MST

My daughter and her family stopped getting flu shots and they told me it's because they don't trust them. I have never gotten a flu shot and never will because I don't trust them. I've never had the flu.
      January 14, 2020 8:12 AM MST

My wife and I did. I'm sure my daughter's family did as she is a nurse. I don't know about my son's family or my sisters and brother.
      January 14, 2020 5:29 PM MST

Thank you for your reply E. Good for thee and thine. I'm gonna ask a question about the value of insurance. See if anyone responds.
      January 15, 2020 4:39 AM MST