Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Has anyone missed ONE dose of antidepressants& felt worse from it? I already have a chronic physical condition which I get a ton of symptoms from&overexerted self v early this morning so could b that

Has anyone missed ONE dose of antidepressants& felt worse from it? I already have a chronic physical condition which I get a ton of symptoms from&overexerted self v early this morning so could b that

But I generally feel a bit sort of almost shaky&sort of anxious. They are extremely low dose mirtazipine & also venlafaxine.
Only missed them once before and I was in hospital so I was sort of nervous then anyway. Also stomach is playing up&feel sick.
I usually take them late at night as recommended but I fell asleep early last night.

Posted - June 30, 2016

Responses

Wouldn't you be better off asking your doctor than a bunch of strangers on a social site?
      June 30, 2016 9:20 AM MDT

No. Have to wait 1.5 weeks for apptmt by which time its irrelevant. I cant get to the dr or be able to at a set time either.
      June 30, 2016 10:02 AM MDT

Heard of a telephone?
      June 30, 2016 10:04 AM MDT

Make a phone call to get checked by a medical professional NOW.  I know what you are going through.   Research what pills you are taking and read about  the side effects.  It may be just you getting used to them, it may be that you have the wrong meds.  Either way, it is a chemical and can cause all kinds of nasty side-effects that can maybe be eliminated with a lesser dosage of what you are currently prescribed,  or another pill that needs to accommodate the ones you are taking; or maybe you need a different med entirely.

Those things are kind of dangerous if you take the wrong ones.   Be very careful and try to get as much information by a professional that knows what he is prescribing for you.  A lot of those idiot doctors use patients as guinea pigs until they find the right pill. 

June 30, 2016 10:07 AM MDT

Some of them can make you feel horrible if you skip even a day. Certain SSRI's are bad for this. Look up the names of the ones you are taking. Venlafaxine appears to be an SSNRI which means you could be at risk of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, which can be nasty. Just take your missed dose ASAP and then get back on schedule. Don't take any extra to catch up.

June 30, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

I second what others are saying about getting advice from your doctor, but with that said, I do have a friend who gets all messed up when he's late on a dose. Sometimes, he gets headaches and flu-like symptoms, but mostly he describes it as being disjointed or not being with it. Probably the weirdest symptom he gets is that his nose and fingers tingle. All these obscure things start to kick in 3-4 hours after the dose should have been taken, so even biffing it by a few hours messes him up and sometimes the symptoms last for a few days, depending on how late he takes it.

June 30, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

Personally, I never noticed much difference when I missed a dose of antidepressant medications, but I tend to be a bit of an insensitive "brick" when it comes to drug effects.

There is substantial individual variation. I have a nephew who is prone to sudden attacks of anxiety/depression if he misses a medication dose (but is an extremely happy well-adjusted young man when he sticks to his regimen).

I know it's tough to SEE a doctor in person on short notice, but you should at least be able to talk to his office or an advice nurse on telephone.

Good luck.

June 30, 2016 3:06 PM MDT

• Yus. I actually missed about three days worth because I ran out and I didn't feel like going to the store. I have been feeling really tired, grumpy, nauseous and lightheaded. I just got more yesterday and I still feel like poop.
      June 30, 2016 4:30 PM MDT

• Other than that. Sometimes I do miss a day's dosage and the only effect I feel is slight lightheadedness.
      June 30, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

one doctor put me on antidepressants one time cause of headaches, it made me feel so weird , always like i was going nuts, a yr and a half later and 50 lbs heavier i found out it was a sinus infection causing the headaches, i turned her in to the medical board, i think st johns wort works better myself, also, someone here mentioned you should ask a doctor, they have plenty of them on healthtap.com and they will send you an email if you ask a question and a real doctor will email you back

July 2, 2016 8:47 PM MDT

That is 1.5 weeks for a telephone apptmt. You dont realise my situation. A lot of the time I cant even speak, and cant predict how I will be
      July 9, 2016 10:30 AM MDT

Thanks for the support. They do have bad side effects but I have tried to talk with dr before and she doesnt want to change the dose so I dont know what to do. I forgot to take them once and I wont do it again because I think Im addicted physically.
      July 9, 2016 10:32 AM MDT

Thanks, Ive also put on a lot of weight due to them. I have reduced the dose of one a lot gradually tho that causes this affect
      July 9, 2016 10:33 AM MDT

You need to see your doctor, immediately. I know nothing of these particular medicines, but I do know that it can be very dangerous to suddenly stop certain head-meds.

You can't buy peace of mind. Call your doctor, tell them what's going on, if for no other reason than to rule out the serious stuff. You'll be glad you did.

July 9, 2016 10:57 AM MDT