Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » I'm so confused. If the earth is flat, then why do the other planets look spherical when gazed upon? I know balls when I see them.

I'm so confused. If the earth is flat, then why do the other planets look spherical when gazed upon? I know balls when I see them.

Posted - January 21, 2020

Responses

Obvious. Because your eyes are round, and they make them look like that. I know flat when I feel it.
      January 21, 2020 12:23 PM MST

• LOL!  Sounds legit to me.
      January 21, 2020 12:32 PM MST

Like that is the only reason we can debunk this ridiculous theory. 

What is on the other side?  Where are the edges?  Why don't we fall off the rim?  Where are pictures of the rim?  For starters.  

Then there is the idea that  the Earth would NEVER move like it does or show what it does from a flat vantage point.  Wouildn't it spin out of control like a thrown  Frisbee?  It certaily woiuld not be able to just stay grounded and flat with one side up all the time.  It is stupid to even consider.

So, OF COURSE, Trump's base consists of  Q-ANON (beyond retarded morons)   and the other retards that are the FLAT EARTHERS.

The Center of Gravity

There’s an interesting fact about mass: it attracts things to it. The force of attraction (gravity) between two objects depends on their mass and the distance between them. Simply said, gravity will pull toward the center of mass of the objects. To find the center of mass, you have to examine the object.

Consider a sphere. Since a sphere has a consistent shape, no matter where on it you stand, you have exactly the same amount of sphere under you. Imagine an ant (perhaps the same one from the previous point) walking around on a crystal ball. Assuming the crystal ball is polished, the ant’s only indication of movement would be the fact it’s moving its feet. The scenery (and shape of the surface) would not change at all.

Consider a flat plane. The center of mass of a flat plane is in its center (more or less – if you want to be more accurate, feel free to do the entire [shriek] integration [shriek] process), and the force of gravity will pull a person toward the middle of the plain. That means that if you stand on the edge of the plane, gravity will be pulling you toward the middle, not straight down like you usually experience.

I am quite positive that even for Australians an apple falls downwards, but if you have your doubts, I urge you to try it out – just make sure it’s nothing that can break or hurt you. Just in case gravity is consistent after all.

Further reading about the center of mass and about distribution of mass can be found here. And if you are brave enough to handle some equations (not involving integration), you can learn some more about Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 22, 2020 4:04 AM MST
      January 21, 2020 12:58 PM MST

• So you're saying that Earth is not thin and svelte, 
    but rather plump and bulbous.
    This is unsettling, unhealthy and lacks fabulocity. 
    We should stick close to Jupiter so as to look more petite by comparison.
      January 21, 2020 1:06 PM MST

First of all it is oblong.  

There are just as many fab things about round as there are about thin.  Too thin and you look haggard, too round and you look like Trump's  gut and man boobs.

You have to work it.  Work it round and work it thin.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 21, 2020 1:13 PM MST
      January 21, 2020 1:09 PM MST

•   January 21, 2020 1:13 PM MST

If you look fabulous, you don't have to work as hard though.

Her?  She's just jealous because she better work.
      January 21, 2020 1:14 PM MST

Thanks, professor.
      January 21, 2020 5:23 PM MST

If the earth were round, then why would the same car use the same amount of gas when traveling from Atlanta to New York as it would if it were traveling from New York to Atlanta. Derp. This post was edited by Jon at January 21, 2020 7:13 PM MST
      January 21, 2020 7:09 PM MST