Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Cognitive function depends upon engaging the brain and keeping it active. As you age what is the BEST way to do that?

Cognitive function depends upon engaging the brain and keeping it active. As you age what is the BEST way to do that?

Posted - January 22, 2020

Responses

Coming here helps.
      January 22, 2020 10:24 AM MST

You mean defending oneself against the slings and arrows of life? Thank you for your reply E.
      January 22, 2020 10:47 AM MST

Solving algebra problems.  Cheers! 
      January 22, 2020 10:27 AM MST

I like to do that. It's fun. Others must think I'm crazy.
      January 22, 2020 10:28 AM MST

I would love it if I were good at it.  I paint pictures and most people think I am crazy.  Some like them.  VERY few. LOL 
      January 22, 2020 10:32 AM MST

You posted a few of them They were excellent.
      January 22, 2020 10:49 AM MST

At 82? Are you serious or teasing me Nanoose? Is that what YOU do? Sheesh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 22, 2020 10:47 AM MST

Try it.
      January 22, 2020 10:49 AM MST

What "IT"? Algebra? Are you nuts? Defending myself? Not my cuppa tea. I split and let the annoying folks play with themselves...not me. This post was edited by RosieG at January 22, 2020 10:51 AM MST
      January 22, 2020 10:50 AM MST

Ya I buy algebra exercise books and solve a problem or 2 ever now and then - its good for keeping the thinking process healthy. Cheers!
      January 22, 2020 11:09 AM MST

Well, no different from solving puzzles, really!
      January 22, 2020 3:57 PM MST

I always knew you were UNIQUE and very smart Nanoose! But doing algebra problems for fun? That is seriously awesomely impressive! I took algebra and geometry in high school because it was required. I never thought it was FUN. Different strokes m'dear! Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 23, 2020 1:41 AM MST

The body is a temple.  Treat it that way.

Give it a clean environment.  A stress-free life or at least great tools to cope; like meditation.

Make sure you put clean, unadulterated food in and clean water.

Exercise.

Do good.  See good.  Be good.

I know what to do, but since I am horrific at following all this good stuff, I probably won't make it to 75.  
      January 22, 2020 10:31 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon.
      January 22, 2020 10:48 AM MST

Chess and reading foreign languages. 
      January 22, 2020 11:13 AM MST

Wow! Chess? I know the basics but I am unable to play "ahead" and see future moves so I will never be even an adequate chess player. Which foreign languages do you know Malizz? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 23, 2020 1:42 AM MST

On twitter, I get french, german, russian and a little of other european languages such as albanian, spanish, etc. I like to think I have some Latin left so I get the Pope's pronouncements. Having read the Bible in English last year, I'm reading it in French now - online because my paper copy of La Bible is a bit dogeared. 

Oh and I forgot to mention that I play piano, keyboard  and accordion. 
    This post was edited by Malizz at January 23, 2020 7:31 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 7:29 AM MST

"Best" age? I'd say at any and every age!

Before turning to Answermug for a bit of fun before turning in for the night, I'd spent two or three hours on an engineering design project for my workshop. That certainly keeps the brain busy!
      January 22, 2020 3:59 PM MST

I have a Scrabble-like Game called BESPELLED that's on the computer that I play offline. My highest score to date is over 2,000,000! I enjoy it as much and spend as much time on it daily as I do on Answermug.  I love dictionaries and words and enjoy being surrounded by them and frolicking about among them. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 23, 2020 1:45 AM MST

• Assuming that no one discovers a tried and true fountain of youth, in which case I am forced to continue the aging process, I'm not sure what I will do to keep my mind sharp. Some would argue it never was, LOL, but I digress.

It seems these days the powers that be keep coming up with new ways to engage the mind. I've seen more brain game apps than I can count, but that's a good thing. For myself I am always intrigued by the idea of learning to play a new instrument, or possibly study a foreign language. I also love to write, constantly, and I also can't see myself ever giving up books. Real books, not digital ones. I love the feel and smell of books.  It started with comic books, eventually moved to textbooks, and more often than not these days I love turning to my Bible for comfort and wisdom.

The possibilities for refreshing and renewing the mind are almost limitless if we remain open to new things.  For instance, you amaze me Rosie. You honestly do. You are profoundly prolific on this site. You are an online presence to be reckoned with. You are smart as a whip and if you don't mind my saying as sassy, or maybe I should say spunky, as they come. LOL! You are creative, and funny, and challenging. I can see all of this in the questions you post and the interactions you have with people of all kinds day in and day out here. I don't know what events made you the sharp as a tack person you are or what brought you our way but I can't help but think that your time here must be therapeutic for you in some ways as well as social all while working toward keeping the synapses firing on a regular basis. What would answerMug be without Rosie G? Parish the thought.

Who knows. Maybe one day many years from now I will find myself an old antique twink hanging around here still arguing with m2c about politics or whether or not she should have moderated a picture I've posted (i'm sure the thought of that thrills her) but whatever I do I hope I remain mentally and physically healthy as long as I can. Even now at this point in my life I gain so much from my time spent with other members here and you Rosie cause me to often stop and think about slightly more important matters going on in the world than I probably would otherwise and for that I thank you, my dear.

This conversation has once more brought into focus for me that I should grab every minute I can. Living, learning, and loving till my body and my brain and my heart overflows.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 23, 2020 11:09 AM MST
      January 22, 2020 5:39 PM MST

Well this surely takes the cake my friend!. First of all I am overwhelmed by what you wrote. Do you know that you are the FIRST person to ever compliment me on any level? I have had in the past a few people thank me for asking specific questions because they touched a nerve and allowed them an avenue to engage. I compliment people ALL THE TIME and I do not expect any compliments in return which is a dam* good thing because I'd be very disappointed. About me. I ask questions because if I don't they will badger me  relentlessly consistently constantly 24/7. I ask questions when things don't make any sense. I have a logical mind and I encounter so much that is illogical daily it drives me bonkers. I used to be painfully shy. I skipped a few grades in grammar school which me a lot younger than the other kids and I paid dearly for that. But I survived it. It has taken years for me to come to the person I am. I am fearless. At 82 what can anyone do to me? I am small potatoes so who is gonna try to destroy me for my wealth which is nonexstent? I say what I think. I don't lie because it never worked for me as a kid and I figured it would work even less well for me as an adult. That frees me from having to remember what I say to whom and when. When I change my mind I say so. When I screw up I say so. When I need to apologize I do. What you see here is what you get wherever I am. I use Answermug as a sounding board. I have been very blessed to attract some really smart and knowledgeable people who are more than willing to share what they know without making me feel stupid. I admit my faults as they come up. I do not suffer fools. If I never had any hits on any of my questions I would still ask them. I ask for me not anyone else. There are times I hit the jackpot and I get a reply that elevates the question. Every day I open the box of chocolates and take a bite and sometimes it is the most delicious thing I ever tasted. Sometimes not so much. So thank you very much for accepting me as I am warts and all. I cannot not be me. Many people can play a role to get along. I can't. Won't. I do appreciate your kindness Twink. It's really nice to know that someone like you is out there who "gets" someone like me. I am not easy to take at times. That's not my cuppa tea. I love being surrounded by people far more intelligent than I am. I always have been drawn to them. Making a connection with others is what I seek on whatever level. Trying to find the commonality among us! Here we are ageless. Some of my best pals are young enough to be my kids but here it doesn't matter. We are all peers. It doesn't matter our social status or financial position or appearance. All that matters are our words. I love words. I play with them all the time. It is my favorite place to dwell. Happy Thursday Twink! :) Now I give you Asker's Pick for your kindness in theory. If I give it to you it in reality it will appear to be for your kind words about me. Payback. So please know how much I treasure you and always will! :) Love, Rosie ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at January 23, 2020 11:08 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 2:02 AM MST

To steal and adapt a phrase, the best thing to do to keep your mind healthy is whatever you'll do to keep your mind healthy. If it's Sudoku puzzles, great. You'd rather play tennis? Also good. Playing musical instruments? Excellent! Gardening? You go girl (or boy)!

Trying to find the "best" way to keep your brain healthy is of no use if you won't do whatever is "best." But if you'll do something "good" that you like, that's more important than knowing what's "best."

Generally, any habit which is good for your physical health (eating right, exercise, drinking adequate water, avoiding drugs/alcohol in excess, etc.) is also good for your mental health. And anything that challenges your mind and makes you learn new skills and/or knowledge is good for helping minimize age-related cognitive decline.

January 22, 2020 5:49 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply SP. I play BESPELLED which is a Scrabble like game I have on the computer which I play offline. I guess I'm addicted to it. And I'm here on Answermug every day. Some days are more difficult than others but I have learned to AVOID those who make me unhappy. I figger why should I engage with anyone who ticks me off regularly so I don't. Got fish to fry and better things to do with the my time. I keep up with what is going on in the world. It's getting harder to do that because there is so much to pay attention to and problems are not being solved before the next onslaught of problems hits. That is muchly due to the IMPEACHED culthead dumb don. how long oh lord? How long?
      January 23, 2020 2:16 AM MST

Whatever works for you!

I adapted my answer from a diet/exercise adviser who, when asked what the best physical exercise was, stated "The best exercise is the one you will do."

So, while world-class parkour may burn more calories than walking around the block, if you can't/won't do the parkour that superiority is moot. Go walk around the block.

Similar logic applies to keeping the brain healthy. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 23, 2020 6:53 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 6:36 AM MST