Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » I'm a driver, a pilot and a sailor. But, we'll NEVER be that hands on again.. In short order, everything will be self driving, flying or sailing, and all we'll be, is passengers. Is that good?

I'm a driver, a pilot and a sailor. But, we'll NEVER be that hands on again.. In short order, everything will be self driving, flying or sailing, and all we'll be, is passengers. Is that good?

Posted - September 20, 2016

Responses

Not good. 

September 20, 2016 11:49 AM MDT

I like things better the way they were than the way things are changing . We are accomplishing many technological things but society wise I think we are going backwards  it's sad. 

September 20, 2016 11:52 AM MDT

• It's a dumb and ultimately, a pointless idea.

September 20, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

• Truth!

September 20, 2016 12:01 PM MDT

Hello RR:

Well, the 30,000 who die in car wrecks every year might disagree with you.

excon

September 20, 2016 12:05 PM MDT

Hey there ex...

Yes and No...

I think we should, especially in our urban centers move towards a more "passenger" based form of transportation. However if all we do is stick new technology into old devices, we are talking one step forward and two steps back.

Driverless cars still require an infrastructure of roads and parking much the same as it is now.

How much space is wasted in urban centers by these roads and parking needs. If we eliminated them we could condense these areas making it easier to get from place to place.

For me, it is not a question of improving cars to use an existing method, but rather coming up with a new method...

September 20, 2016 12:17 PM MDT

• That's not really that big of a number when taken in context of the driving population.

Doubt these self driving cars relying on sensitive and complicated automated electronic systems will help all that much. I'd rather be in control than rely on electronics.
    Having done much mechanical work, it's the electronic garbage in vehicles that causes the most problems.

September 20, 2016 12:39 PM MDT

@RiverRat - I'm with you. I don't even use cruise control when I'm on the turnpike.
      September 20, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

• People are way too content to hand control over these days. Lazy.

September 20, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

Thankfully, I haven't heard anyone making 'self-driven' motorcycles yet.

September 20, 2016 1:30 PM MDT

I agree.  Then again, when you have a self-driving car, you don't have to pay attention while you're texting.

September 20, 2016 5:44 PM MDT

• You're the big capitalist so you should love eliminating human labor for pure profits.

September 20, 2016 7:05 PM MDT

You're a pilot?

Just curious but what ratings do you have and what are you "current" to fly?

September 20, 2016 11:10 PM MDT

Hello again, Red:

Do I take it that you have developed a personal interest in me???  Nahhh..  You want me to tell you of my accomplishments so you can call me a LIAR...  What??  You think I FORGET???

Nonetheless, I'm happy to tell you.  I hold an airplane, single engine, land certificate.  I'm NOT current in anything.  It costs TOO much money to fly these days..  When I got my ticket, a Cherokee 140 costs $20 an hour wet, which means it included gas, and my instructor cost $6/hr.  My license cost me around $1,500. These days, the same plane costs around $150 an hour. 

Ok, you can call me a liar now...

excon

September 21, 2016 7:26 AM MDT

More die of opium drug overdoses than car accidents now. What will happen as people find nothing satisfying to do and all work is replaced by robots? I think 30,000 will be small compared to people who will eat or drink or drug themelves to death in the future.

September 21, 2016 8:41 AM MDT

Nah, not going to call you a liar.You sound like you've been in the left seat behind that big fan that keeps the pilot cool.

But just how old are your? Back when I started flying a Cessna 152 went for about $50/hour "wet", with instructor, if I remember correctly. It was another $20/hour to "upgrade" to a Cessna 172. (Never flew Piper, the FBO was a Cessna dealership and had all Cessna hardware in their rental inventory.)

And you're right about the costs going to the moon; a damn shame. I haven't checked lately (haven't flown in a long time either) but $150/hour sounds about right. And I notice that the same tail numbers that I flew are STILL at that FBO I flew out of (the airport is next to a freeway that I travel occasionally), so it's not the cost of new hardware. Must be that $8/gallon 100LL . . . (or we could just follow Shakespeare's advice and kill all the lawyers . . . )

September 21, 2016 8:46 AM MDT

Hello again, Red:

I was actually wrong above.. My plane cost $14/hr, and the instructor was $6..  Got my ticket in '68 at Bates Aviation in Hawthorn, California..  I was an industrial salesman and Hawthorn was right smack in the middle of my territory..  The cafe where I used to eat lunch, is now Elon Musks Space X factory..  So, after lunch at the airport, I saw a sign that said, FLY an airplane for $5.  I bought it and was hooked ever since..

Once I got my license, my FAVORITE flight was Hawthorn to Catalina Island..  It was an hour on the hobbs meter both ways, and lunch at the "airport in the sky" was delectable.  At those rates, it was a CHEAP date.  Many a young lady made that trip with me.

Believe it or not, of all the accomplishments I've had in my life, and there have been many, I am MOST proud of my pilots license..

excon

September 21, 2016 9:02 AM MDT

Hello Short Sighted ITpro:

Man, oh man..  You're right, the world ended when we invented the cotton gin..  Or NOT.

excon

September 21, 2016 9:18 AM MDT

Ah! You started in the cockpit about a decade earlier than I, explains that starting price difference.

I can relate to your pride about getting that ticket. It's really a great accomplishment, something to be very proud of.[And having it for a long time and still being on the upper side of the grass is an even bigger accomplishment! ;>)]

Flying was (and probably continues to be) a "chick magnet" (no offense meant to the distaff side of the site). Haven't made it to the "Airport in the Sky" yet but it sounds like an neat thing to do. (I know that it's a "touristy" thing but most general aviation food around the country used to be pretty good; word would get around really fast if it wasn't.)

And, believe it or not, I'm REALLY sorry that you can't continue to take to the air on occasion. I remember back when I flew my day-to-day troubles somehow stayed on the ground when I pulled that yoke back and the plane left the runway. I really miss that and am sure that you do too.

September 21, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

• In itself not that big a deal. Though if they can automate that, what else are they going to automate? Almost everything that doesn't need a human touch.

In 30 or 40 years 90% of people are going to be unemployed. It's hard to see how a functional society can exist under those conditions.

September 21, 2016 12:21 PM MDT