Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » ever been sedated for dental work

ever been sedated for dental work

ever been sedated for dental work i need a little bit of dental should i be put too sleep for it any advice  i have autism and spiceal needs  

Posted - January 28, 2020

Responses

• No.

But there were a couple of times I went out and got drunk afterward.
      January 28, 2020 6:45 PM MST

Not for dental work.
      January 28, 2020 6:49 PM MST

I have been sedated but not for dental. It was just like going to sleep. And when I woke it was over.
    Do not worry, it will be fine.
      January 28, 2020 6:52 PM MST

• i have autism its scary  
      January 28, 2020 6:53 PM MST

Nope. My dental work has never been bad enough that I need to be sedated. 
      January 28, 2020 6:58 PM MST

Do you sedate your slaves?
      January 28, 2020 7:01 PM MST

No, I need them awake and aware. I wonder if torture is worse when you are on aderall... This post was edited by Lady Ondine at January 28, 2020 7:04 PM MST
      January 28, 2020 7:02 PM MST

I have never tried that. My drug of choice is whiskey. Numbs the nuts.
      January 28, 2020 7:06 PM MST

Ugh, you are not allowed to numb them. I’m going to give you 40 lashes with an African whipping stick. 
      January 28, 2020 7:09 PM MST

January 28, 2020 7:00 PM MST

Dental work might be tough for someone with autism.

As I understand it, autism derives from the brain perceiving all the stimuli from all the senses,
    with no filter to automatically and unconsciously select and damp down the irrelevant perceptions.
    This makes any experience which is not part of the daily or weekly routines harder to cope with;
    new or unusual experiences can trigger intolerable stress and emotional meltdowns.

There are different kinds of sedative. They can be given as pills, injections or gas.
    Prior to a dental operation which required six teeth removed, I was given laughing gas as a sedative, and then injections of local anaesthetic.
    The gas helped make it easy to relax. I found there was no anxiety, stress or suffering throughout the operation.
    Later, it took several hours for the anesthetics to wear off in my jaw.
    The sensations were like the "pins-and-needles" one feels when any kind of numbness wears off - a bit uncomfortable - 
    but nothing to worry about because I knew everything was alright and the sensations would pass away in a few hours.

I had a similar experience when a bad wound (from a lawn-mower accident) had to be stitched up.

On both occasions, the laughing gas worked perfectly as a sedative.

I can recommend laughing gas. It takes away all possible worries.
      January 28, 2020 9:47 PM MST

• i had gas today and they used papoose  board
      January 28, 2020 9:50 PM MST

I was a dental assistant before I started my second career and I still work in the industry to some degree, though not in a dental office. Your dentist is either insane or brilliant. One or the other. 

In all my life, I've never heard of a dental office using a papoose board on any child over the age of maybe 3-4 and even then it's still very frowned upon. A few pediatric dentists do, but they're super old- all the ones I've met that are 50 or younger won't touch papoose boards. They always sedate. Papoose boards can be quite traumatizing. 

The exception might be with an adult in your circumstances who genuinely wants it for the comfort. And until now, I'd never heard of them being used on autistic patients- not adults anyway. They've always made my hair stand on end. But, it makes sense. Kind of reminds me of those weighted blankets that can be used by those with autism and anxiety for comfort. I could see it providing a measure of comfort, provided you are consenting and have control over the situation. 

As for sedation, I used to work with sedated patients every day. There are lots of different levels. Do whatever you have to do to feel comfortable. If the gas works, use the gas. If it doesn't, try oral conscious sedation. If it doesn't work, try IV sedation. The important thing is that you are getting the care you need. 

You know yourself and your limitations better than anyone else. One autistic person might be totally fine with everything. Another might need deeper level of relaxation. 

I personally don't care for sedation. I don't like not feeling like myself. However, when I got my wisdom teeth extracted, I absolutely went with IV sedation. I suspect if I needed any kind of oral surgery, it would be IV again. A single root canal or crown... no. A mouthful of work at once... debatable. If I could secure a ride after and had someone to stay with me after, I'd probably consider it if it meant the dentist could do more work at once. 

I don't know if that helps at all, but really, there are no absolutes. It wholly depends on how comfortable you are and what your limitations are. 
      January 28, 2020 11:02 PM MST

• i had gas today and they used papoose  board it helped i need work im going too another dentist  on 17 of feb they use wrap too  and im ok with it  and papoose boards are used at many dentists still  depends on area i might get put too sleep too get it all done at once  any advice  
      January 28, 2020 11:07 PM MST

• my dentist are good ones almost 5 star reviews 
      January 28, 2020 11:09 PM MST

Only when I had my "wisdom teeth" removed.
    They knocked me out for the entire operation.
    I woke up not even realizing I had gone to sleep.
    But I was a little groggy, and hit on the dental assistant.  LOL
      January 29, 2020 2:37 PM MST