bookworm
Baba
Nevan B
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If your neighbor was undocumented and has the Coronavirus, should he be treated for free?

If your neighbor was undocumented and has the Coronavirus, should he be treated for free?

Posted - February 7

• 744
    Nothing in this world should be free. 
      February 7, 2020 11:35 AM MST
    1

• 3607
    Hello O,

So you would deny this person healthcare even at your own expense?  That’s good to know.

excon This post was edited by excon at February 11, 2020 6:30 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 11:39 AM MST
    2

• 744
    They can pay for their own healthcare or be removed and quarantined. 
      February 7, 2020 11:41 AM MST
    0

• 3607

Hello again, O:

Who pays for their removal?  Who pays for the quarantine? Wouldn't it be cheaper and safer to just treat them at home?

This post was edited by excon at February 11, 2020 6:30 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 12:30 PM MST
    3

• 35
    What‘s with the American obsession with denying others basic human rights. As someone who lives in a conservative country but with a national health service, I am fully aware of cost logistics. Inhumanity to man, not so much. No offence, just an opinion. This post was edited by RedOrDead at February 7, 2020 2:18 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 12:40 PM MST
    2

• 744
    Healthcare is not a right, it is a privilege. Nothing in this world is free. You forget that most European countries have a fraction of the population of the US. And even in those countries, there are still incredibly long wait times, people who abuse those systems, and sub-rate care due to lack of competition and innovation in the medical profession. Such a system would not be sustainable here with our ever increasing population and would drive up the taxes to astronomical heights. Yes, in this scenario it may be talking about one person, but where is the line drawn? Someone has to pay for everything. The US is what it is because of our free market and the fact that people can choose where to spend their money. 
      February 7, 2020 4:03 PM MST
    1

• 2855
    I'm not sure you understand that disease and illness have no border.
    I'm speechless
      February 7, 2020 1:38 PM MST
    2

• 744
    I don’t care about where the person is from. I feel the same way about a documented, legal person. Either way, someone has to pay for that healthcare, and I am against a system where people are treated at the taxpayer’s expense. 
      February 7, 2020 4:04 PM MST
    0

• 2855
    While your complaining about money, the virus spreads.

You must be losing your mind seeing the elderly and vererans receiving healthcare from medicare and the VA.
    And in case you missed the notice, hospitals are not allowed to turn people away who have life threatening illness or injury. The cost of that is passed along through higher costs to wvwryone else.

This post was edited by Jon at February 11, 2020 6:32 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 5:07 PM MST
    1

• 744
    Medicare can absolutely be a problem, particularly since people are living longer now. That still focuses on a fraction of the population, and is ideally temporary since people do not have many years left. But with growing populations, it absolutely does have an effect on the economy. 

Again, this scenario uses an example of one person. Sure, in this case it might be better to treat this person. But in general, healthcare should not be universally free. Also, in many cases the coronavirus has not been fatal. 
      February 7, 2020 5:33 PM MST
    1

• 2855
    Healthcare should be 100% available  for everyone. 
    There is no such thinng. As free healthcare. Congress may levy taxes as required for the security of the nation. Its in the constitution. So what, you pay a little more in taxes but you wontneed to secure it through an insurance agency. Are you happy to see people die in the US from treatable conditions? 
      February 11, 2020 10:11 PM MST
    0

• 46255
    Who am I speaking for?  THE GOP?  Who think immigrants are trash?  Just burn the guy alive. It is for the good of the Children of the Corn mentality.  You know?  Sacrifice the bad seed for the good of the power of the CORN.  

Ok.  I'm digressing.

The GOP who are moderates would sooner let the rest of us DIE rather than have someone get treated for free. Unless it was a member of their TRIBE.

So, speaking for me?  ALL PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM THIS VIRUS NEED TO BE TREATED FOR FREE.  THEY DID NOT ASK FOR THIS.  We are children of the Earth and we have the right to free health care.   Oh yeah, especially in light of the fact that MODERATE DEMOCRATS like that AHOLE Bloomberg could fork over a few billion to advertise that he is giving free health care to all;  to help this dilemna
    But he won't.  He is a Billionaire.  He can build himself a castle on a remote island till this thing blows over.  In a decade or two after the planet dies as well.

The end.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 11, 2020 6:33 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 12:37 PM MST
    1

• 744
    You are not entitled to other people’s money. If you want to live in a country where you must wait insanely long to actually see a doctor and get subpar treatment while you pay out the nose in taxes for other people who abuse the system, be my guest. I’d prefer to keep my money and choose where to spend it. 
      February 7, 2020 4:07 PM MST
    0

• 19604
    We should quarentine, treat and then turn them over to ICE and follow the guidelines based on the history of the person. 
    Bill them for the treatment just like they would any other person.
    This post was edited by my2cents at February 7, 2020 1:01 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 1:00 PM MST
    0

• 6629
    Why turn them over to ICE?---are you concerned that are not racially pure?

Didn't the Germans explore that sort of thing with the Jews in the early to mid 1940's?

(Should I have used hyphens there, Randy? Personally, I judged it to be too much effort---I seldom use certain keys on the keyboard and I am reduced to "hunt & peck" for hyphens and lines in Word.)
      February 7, 2020 2:04 PM MST
    0

• 19604
    Nothing to do with race.

Everything to do with following the immigration laws of our country. This post was edited by my2cents at February 7, 2020 2:17 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 2:16 PM MST
    0

• 6629
    So you are concerned that every one of the neighbors you have may well be undocumented immigrants?

Well, OK---I guess.. This post was edited by tom jackson at February 7, 2020 3:43 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 2:35 PM MST
    1

• 19604
    If they are then they should be turned over to ICE. 
      February 7, 2020 2:52 PM MST
    0

• 2855
    Quarantine who? 

I want to know who is going to protect us frim people such as yourself who seem to believe that only undocumented immigrants carry disease.
      February 7, 2020 5:20 PM MST
    0

• 19604
    The person with the coronavirus....that is the topic of the question. 
      February 7, 2020 6:05 PM MST
    0

• It is in the best interest of everyone to first identify the illness and then treat it before worrying about the cost.  The logistics of how their health care is paid for and how the  accrued expense will be addressed as a result of securing everyone's safety can be worked out after the fact.

The price of not treating them stands to be far greater than doing so.

February 7, 2020 1:14 PM MST
    4

• 35
    That, dear sir, is the basis of the NHS. I wish more Americans would see it as such.
      February 7, 2020 1:20 PM MST
    1

• Good luck garnering amongst most people, especially elected officials, any common sense understanding of what a sound and secure health care system should be and how it should operate.
      February 7, 2020 1:32 PM MST
    2

• 2855
    I believe everyone, regardless of where they are born, deserves the exact level of quality healthcare.
    As far as I know, diseases and the subsequent pandemics know no borders.
      February 7, 2020 1:36 PM MST
    3