Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Language » How did rhythm get away with so few vowels?

How did rhythm get away with so few vowels?

Posted - February 10, 2020

Responses

• My brain is too broken  to understand this question... or maybe it’s you. 
      February 10, 2020 6:13 PM MST

It was a pathetic attempt at changing the subject.  I hated what was on the queue.  And Slarti asked some question with rhythm in it and I noticed it has no vowels except for the "and sometimes Y" part of that aeiou and sometimes Y  thing we had to learn in Kidnergarten. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 11, 2020 1:51 AM MST
      February 10, 2020 6:15 PM MST

• ahhhh, I haven’t looked around the site much tonight to see what’s happening. I’ll take a look lol 
      February 10, 2020 6:18 PM MST

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  (I tried to spare you)
      February 10, 2020 6:20 PM MST

• Fine, I won’t look....I forgot to anyway. 
      February 10, 2020 6:23 PM MST

[ I loved this explanation for your inspiration to ask your question. :) A great way for me to smile and head off for some sleep. Thanks! ]

:)
      February 10, 2020 8:29 PM MST

Because rhythm begins with 1 ana 2.  Makes sense to me.  :  )

February 10, 2020 7:42 PM MST

It made a deal with Blues.  They are great, long-time friends with appreciation for one another and share many things.
      February 11, 2020 1:55 AM MST

Vowels can have a strong effect on rhythm, but they're not the only determinant.
    Consonants add a lot too.
    And so does the natural cadence of the language, and the way syntax is used.

Long vowels act like minims in a musical score, while short vowels act like crotchets and sequences of unvowelled consonants can behave like quavers or even hemi-semi-demi-quavers.

Consonants like l, m, n, ng, r, th, sh, zh, y & w can be longer or slower, while consonants like f, h, k, p, t, s, can be very quick, and b, d, g, v, and z have a middling length when voiced. 

Rhythm, cadence or meter in language is the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables. For instance, in "until", the un has less stress while the til has more. With me, the un is so unstressed that it's silent - 'til. 
    Every language has its natural cadence. An iamb is a pair of syllables, the first unstressed or soft, the second stressed or slightly louder.
    The natural cadence of English is predominantly iambic, the stress most frequently falling on every second syllable. Try sounding various words - decide, 'equate', 'destroy', 'belong,' and 'delay'.
    But the fact that cadence can and often does vary is what prevents language from sounding monotonous. 
    Exceptions or other cadences or meters used in English include trochee, anapest, dactyl, pyrrhic and spondee.

All these can be used to add emotional tone and expression to the meaning.
    For instance, using more long vowels and consonants to slow the rate of speech could add to an effect of sadness or longing.
    A predominance of short vowels and quick consonants could impart gaiety, humour or anger.

Likewise, the use of punctuation has similar effects.
    , = a short pause 
    .  = a longer pause
    n or m-dash (-- or ---) longer pauses
    line breaks = very distinct pauses
    Silence is just as critical to the rhythm as sound.

And all this can be altered for effect by the speaker or singer.

If you like, try listening to poets reciting or performing their works on YouTube,
    or listen to different actors reciting the same great poem -
    and hear how the sound of the language works to enhance the atmosphere created by the words.

This post was edited by inky at February 15, 2020 3:38 AM MST
      February 13, 2020 10:32 PM MST

I think the point of the question is the word itself, "rhythm" being the longest word in English without a true vowel.
      February 14, 2020 1:46 AM MST

I'm sure you're right.
    Does it hurt to take a different take on a question once in a while?
    I enjoyed the journey, but I could take my answer down if you prefer.
      February 14, 2020 8:31 AM MST

Slarti is not the moderator.  He means no harm.

I like all your answers.  I like all his answers.  My answers I have the most trouble with.  So, you are good to me.  Thank you for your answer.  It is always welcome and I always learn a BUNCH of STUFF.  LOL  
      February 14, 2020 8:34 AM MST

Me too!
    :) :)
      February 15, 2020 3:39 AM MST

Thanks for the pick, Sharonna. :)
    Thanks also for the question - one of my favourites in all my time on the Mug.
    Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did. 
      February 14, 2020 8:52 AM MST

Any time I can attract your brain is an honor.  You are too smart for this site.  LOL 
      February 14, 2020 8:55 AM MST

LOL! :D
    Plenty of folks here far brighter than me:
    Element, Stu B, Slarti, Jackson, Barzini, Durdle and many, many more.
    Most of them don't make a big show of their brains,
    which is, of course, the smartest way to behave --
    but the effects punch through in their brevity.
    The intelligence lurking amid the silliness here is one of the reasons I prefer this site to any other.
    The others are just unremittingly silly.
    Quora's great, but it's impersonal, lacks a sense of community.
    And please don't underrate your own brains -
    from my perspective, your social conscience and heart shine like a beacon.
      February 14, 2020 9:12 AM MST

;) :)  She is very knowledgeable on many different topics and nice too.

I will say, however, you are pretty darn sharp, yourself, there TRUMP MAKES SATAN PUKE
    Big Smiles! This post was edited by Merlin at February 15, 2020 3:44 AM MST
      February 15, 2020 3:43 AM MST