Discussion » Statements » 1,100+ FORMER PROSECUTORS AND OTHER OFFICIALS CALL FOR BARR'S RESIGNATION (not that it will make a dammmm bit of difference)

1,100+ FORMER PROSECUTORS AND OTHER OFFICIALS CALL FOR BARR'S RESIGNATION (not that it will make a dammmm bit of difference)

More than 1,100 ex-Justice Department officials call for Barr’s resignation

Attorney General William P. Barr waves after speaking at a National Sheriffs’ Association conference in Washington on Feb. 10. (Susan Walsh/AP)Attorney General William P. Barr waves after speaking at a National Sheriffs’ Association conference in Washington on Feb. 10. (Susan Walsh/AP)
Feb. 16, 2020 at 6:10 a.m. PST

More than 1,100 former Justice Department employees signed a public letter Sunday urging Attorney General William P. Barr to resign over his handling of the case of President Trump’s longtime friend Roger Stone — and exhorted current department employees to report any unethical conduct.

The letter is the latest sign of a crisis of confidence inside the department. Four prosecutors quit the Stone case last week after Barr and other Justice Department leaders pushed for a softer prison recommendation for Stone, who is due to be sentenced this week.

The four prosecutors had originally recommended a prison sentence of seven to nine years for Stone after he was convicted of lying to Congress and obstruction. The president publicly attacked that recommendation, and, at Barr’s urging, the Justice Department filed an updated sentencing memo suggesting that Stone should receive less prison time.

AD

Posted - February 17, 2020

Responses

Trump had had his people tick off our Governor-General for being one of the people to call for a softer sentence for Stone. A letter said his interference had brought the GG's office into disrepute and reflected shabbily on Australia.

I do admire and feel sorry for Stone. And for anyone who has the integrity and courage to stand up for their principles in a hostile environment. It's like Sir Thomas Moore all over again. People never seem to learn from history.

On the one hand, the letter to our GG was right. I don't think Australia has any right to try to influence in America's internal politics or justice. Certainly, it was not very diplomatic.

On the other, I think it's a bit rich to uphold the supreme value of freedom of speech and then deny it when you don't like what you hear.

I've always thought that one of the signs of friendship is the ability to share opinions honestly. But maybe friendships at the international level are never the same as at the personal; perhaps they are always a delicate tug of negotiating awkward moments.
      February 17, 2020 8:42 AM MST

Nothing shocking here.  
      February 17, 2020 8:58 AM MST

This is one of the most corrupt administrations in our history.  Too bad the toads that would vote again for Trump don't want to see that.  

I'd like to see 1100 current prosecutors and other officials call for Barr's resignation.  They should go out on strike until he resigns.
      February 17, 2020 10:00 AM MST

That, in the twilight zone of inverted logic of Trump, is a sign they are succeeding. Nothing sustains the cult like piling up adversaries (both real and imagined) to slander, belittle and spew hate upon.

If you haven’t noticed, the President’s method unfailingly requires a villain, even if some have to be invented; since the con fizzles otherwise, all the better if they don’t.
    So Barr is “doing a good job”, didn’t you know? 

Nary a week can be singled out absent any example of boorish denigration or -alternately- shameless self-pity from the senile, attention-starved demagogue that Republicans cheer in the WH.
    (I suspect this trend will continue unabated, amid the wanton hypocrisy of his Evangelical disciples.)

This post was edited by Don Barzini at February 17, 2020 3:45 PM MST
      February 17, 2020 3:39 PM MST