Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why Are the Media Ignoring Details of the Charlotte Shooting?

Why Are the Media Ignoring Details of the Charlotte Shooting?

Uh oh!  Looks like lefties got caught with their knickers down again. :-)

Bias Alert: Media Rushes to Bury Key Fact in Charlotte Riots: Officer in Shooting Is Black

Posted - September 23, 2016

Responses

Could only read part of the article before a popup that will not close covered the rest of the story, I hate links like that.  

September 23, 2016 3:24 PM MDT

• You tell me.

September 23, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

You seem to be under the delusion  people on the political left are unaware police bias against African-Americans is not exclusively perpetrated by Caucasian police officers. 

You offer no evidence to support such an assertion.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/11cz5e/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-five-officers-and-a-gentleman---brandishing-blackness

September 23, 2016 4:33 PM MDT

I'd say you got caught with your knickers down. Seems to me, you find the death of another [black] by the police "funny" to tease what you call lefties. I don't see the use of a happy smile in these matters very tasteful, or for that matter respectful to the victim and their family.

As for your question it seems being slightly misleading. You say the media ignores the details of the Charlotte shooting. The link you provide us with merely conspires around the fact that the police officer is black isn't more prominent in the stories of the chosen media. The fact that it's told in the stories will not make it ignored. It is a part of their coverage of the story.

Jump conclusions like these are really not making any discussion unbiased, and your smiley tells me you might not really be interested in an unbiased discussion either. These are my perceptions.
      September 24, 2016 12:15 AM MDT

"You seem" to lack the capacity to discuss the actual issue without the usual ad hominem. :-)

September 24, 2016 10:37 AM MDT

I don't give a squat what you see as tasteful, dear.

September 24, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

I already did. :-)

September 24, 2016 10:39 AM MDT

Hello N:

Couple things..   Apparently the media ARE reporting this detail, or you wouldn't know about it.  Secondly, when the police force, itself, is racist, it effects both black and white cops equally. 

excon

September 24, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

Black cops are racist?  Do tell!

September 24, 2016 10:54 AM MDT

IKR?  Thing is, you can never tell how a page will be displayed from one platform to the next. On my PC there was no pop-up...but then I also have adblock installed.

September 24, 2016 10:55 AM MDT

That is very obvious. Doesn't make it any less disgracing.
      September 24, 2016 10:55 AM MDT

I have pop-ups blocked, too.  It wasn't so much that it appeared, but that it would not close using the X and I wasn't about to share a story I hadn't yet read, which was what it wanted.

September 24, 2016 11:03 AM MDT

Ex has a point with that, often moreso as they see the blacks they deal with in the course of duty as reflecting badly on them.  

September 24, 2016 11:06 AM MDT

If it is obvious, then why do you respond?  That doesn't seem very bright of you, now does it?

:-)

But by all means don't stop, dear.  Participation on this forum simply wouldn't be as much fun without a few playthings.

September 24, 2016 12:14 PM MDT

Sometimes, if you expand the text, you can make the X big enough to close.  Sometimes you can reload the page and it'll go away...but honestly I will never understand why websites make their content unavailable.  By now it should be clear to them that putting up hurdles is a great way to drive down numbers.  I have about ten sites in my hosts file block list for a reason. Can you guess what that might be? :-)

September 24, 2016 12:18 PM MDT

I don't doubt that for an instant.  Getting the usual suspects to admit to black racism (a form of self loathing if you ask me), however, is a mighty task indeed.  Why?  Because once they concede they'll have to explain why black cops would find black people more threatening than whites...and nobody wants to go there!

September 24, 2016 12:20 PM MDT

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
      September 24, 2016 12:50 PM MDT

So how do you explain that the same is often true of female cops in their dealings with women?

September 24, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

Hello again, N:

Let's be careful with words, ok..  Different words mean different things... You're kinda squirrely, that way. You'd think I wouldn't have to lay the ground rules out every time we communicate, but, it seems, I DO..

I did NOT say that black cops are racist..  I said that when the institution people work for is ITSELF racist, it effects black and white cops equally...  Institutional racism is insidious.. It's systemic.. It's everywhere.  Look.  I don't imagine you clicked on the blue letters to learn a little more about it..  I can't help that..  

excon

September 24, 2016 2:54 PM MDT

The Police officer  was black ?   That's the big hairy detail that was being ignored ?   That came out on the first day of the shooting !  Are you having problems with solar flares / power failures in your neighborhood ?   

September 24, 2016 3:53 PM MDT

I don't know that it is, but that's a damned good avenue of inquiry.  Got stats?

September 24, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

Wait...what?  I should be careful with words, but all the people who inappropriately/inaccurately label me as racist should not?  That's rich!

But yeah, if you or anyone else are going to begin discussions by pigeonholing your opponents, it's best to define the epithets you use to do it.  That goes for you, me, or anyone else who enters this verbal fray.

"I did NOT say that black cops are racist..  I said that when the institution people work for is ITSELF racist, it effects black and white cops equally..."

Institutions are comprised of human beings, Ex.  If the institution is racist (and I agree, there IS such a thing as institutional racism) then the people in it are racist.  That means we need to address them by name or, at the very least, by their hierarchical grouping.  Are all members of administration racists?  Are mid-level lieutenants racist? Beat cops?  Once we've established that, we can then be better equipped to analyze how said racism pervades the institution.

September 24, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

If you're talking about me, the OP, I'm having problems with accuracy in reporting.  Call me picky, but I want all the details all the time.

September 24, 2016 5:36 PM MDT

Indeed. :-)

September 24, 2016 5:37 PM MDT