Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Finance » What do you think people are doing with all the money the are not spending at restaurants, bars, pubs, etc because of closures?

What do you think people are doing with all the money the are not spending at restaurants, bars, pubs, etc because of closures?

Giving it to panhandlers? 

Tossing out the windows of tall buildings on a windy day to watch people go chasing after it?

Posted - March 18, 2020

Responses

Using it for toilet paper.
      March 18, 2020 1:28 PM MDT

Buy food, beer and whiskey.
      March 18, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

If they have any faculty for logical reasoning, the working class are holding onto it for the uncertain future.

Unless one has been in a coma the last few weeks, it should be evident finances will be tight for at least the next few months. 

March 18, 2020 3:36 PM MDT

Logical reasoning...an oxymoron for many.
      March 18, 2020 8:19 PM MDT

Too many. Far too many. 
      March 18, 2020 8:21 PM MDT

Anyone with investments has probably lost far more In the past two weeks than they will save on restaurant and pub spending during all this. I think I’ll go have a bath with my toaster now lol. 
      March 18, 2020 5:53 PM MDT

They only lose their money if they decide to sell.
    For a time the investments will yield much lower dividends.
    But eventually most stocks will regain and eventually increase their value; those who hang on will not lose.
      March 18, 2020 8:51 PM MDT

Depends on their character, impulsiveness and habits.

Some of that cash would buy the fresh foods that now have to be prepared at home, or packs of frozen meals.

The prudent ones would pay more on their mortgages.
    Some might save it for medical expenses if they fall sick.
    Others might take precautions against a Great Depression and ending up out of work.

The spendthrift ones might go shopping online.

But don't forget the thousands who've never had the money for eating out or coffees or movies.
    Their fortunes remain the same - unless they catch Covid.
      March 18, 2020 8:15 PM MDT

Personally, I do not spend money on those thing on a regular basis. I only go to a restaurant on occasion. And never to the bar/pub.  I still drive through some and get delivery.

So I am not saving anything from that.  So far I still have customers each day. Hopefully that remains...I got bills to pay. I have exhausted my savings to get through the winter (we are seasonal here and would just now be beginning to fire up)  Our bars/restaurants etc are open.  (I am open as well)
      March 18, 2020 8:40 PM MDT

Don't know what kind of business you're in, but I wish you all the best, my2Cents
      March 18, 2020 8:53 PM MDT

Thank you.
    I sell yard decor. We manufacture most of our products ourselves. Usually even in down economies we stay fairly busy. People want to work in the yard more those years and makes them want to get something new for the yard.   
    Hopefully it just slows down the season kick off.   So far my sells are up from last year....but if they stop people from traveling etc that could change. 

March 19, 2020 10:04 AM MDT