Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is hell ablaze? Are there two lakes of fire and one consumes the other?

Is hell ablaze? Are there two lakes of fire and one consumes the other?

"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."  Rev 20:14

Translations vary and some use "hades" instead of hell.  So, are we to believe hell is hades (the grave)?

Posted - March 26, 2020

Responses

You are absolutely free to believe anything that you like.

But don’t expect tenets of religion to meet solid reason or withstand critical analysis unless you subvert both for faith. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 30, 2020 6:36 PM MDT
      March 26, 2020 2:02 PM MDT

Top marks yet again Mr  Teacher :)  
      March 30, 2020 6:40 PM MDT

The beauty of living day to day is understanding how days exist by what works for you.

Only you can find what works.

When you do, it is an awesome revolution.  

When others find their truth they feel the same.

Believing is what makes it work. 

Both do if you allow everyone to feel and believe as they see and know.

It is good.  No one person is right or wrong even if they feel the same way.  No one sees the world exactly as you do.

You have a right to your thoughts, your beliefs and your facts and opinion on facts.

We all are right because the world is who, what, where, when, how and why we make it ..
    for you and me.

It's a beautiful thing.
      March 26, 2020 3:03 PM MDT

Philosophers and occult religionists are always searching for the keys to life and death, but only Christ has them. ‘Hell’ [in the King James Version of Revelation 1:18 is actually ‘Hades,’ the abode of departed souls…. When Christ died, His spirit descended into Hades, proclaiming victory to the evil spirits incarcerated there, then returned with the souls of those who had died in faith… The unsaved dead will be delivered up from Hades for judgment at the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:13). This is why death and hades (hell) will be thrown into the Lake of Fire which is the final judgment of the unsaved.
      March 26, 2020 4:03 PM MDT

No there is only one Eternal Lake of fire..

Hell is a temporary prison that will be emptied on the day of Judgement and then cast into the eternal lake of fire..
      March 27, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

Good question. There is not a single word in the Bible that actually means a literal hell fire where immoral souls of people are consciously tortured forever. That idea came about after men decided in favor of immortality of the soul (Also not in the Bible) rather than the Bible teaching of a future resurrection. 

The Bible is clear that at death, one has been freed or acquitted from sin as the penalty for sin is death.
    (Romans 6:7) For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin.
    (Romans 6:23) For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.

(Psalm 103:9) He will not always find fault, Nor will he stay resentful forever.
    (Romans 6:23) For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Psalm 146:3, 4) Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.  4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
    (Ecclesiastes 9:5) For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten.
    (Ecclesiastes 9:10) Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

... here are some translations and such that have or don't have hell in certain places.

For the Record, the Catholic NAB doesn't have Hell in it at all. The Catholic NJB only translates Gehenna (Garbage dump) as Hell. The Catholic DRB is about as inconsistent as the KJV and even has Job praying to be protected in Hell.

Job 14:13 (Douay-Rheims Bible) Who will grant me this, that thou mayest protect me in hell, and hide me till thy wrath pass, and appoint me a. time when thou wilt remember me?

Hell is a misinterpretation by the translators. There is not a word in the Bible that should be translated as Hell.
    Youngs literal does not have Hell in it at all.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=hell&t=YNG
    NASB has Hell in it 13 times. (Gehenna)
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=hell&t=NASB
    King James has Hell in it 54 times.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=hell&t=KJV
    The New King James has Hell in it 32 times.
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=hell&t=NKJV

(mark 9:47-48; Jer 7:31; 2Kings 23:10)https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark9:47-48;Jer7:31;2Kings23:10;&version=15;45;9;77;31;

Gehenna was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehennahttps://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/227782/Gehenna.

God would not torture us for eternity if it never even came up into his heart.
    https://bible.cc/jeremiah/7-31.htm 
    (Jeremiah 19:5) And they built the high places of the Ba′al in order to burn their sons in the fire as whole burnt offerings to the Ba′al, something that I had not commanded or spoken of, and thathad not come up into my heart.”’

"The wages sin pays is death"(Romans 6:23),not an immortal soul burning in Hell. "The soul that sins itself will die"(Ez 18:4)

Matthew 5:22 speaks of those liable to “hell fire” or “Gehenna”. To use “hell fire” gives a false idea, for in the original Greek it reads gehenna of fire; gehenna is the Greek for the Hebrew ge′i-Hinnom, meaning “valley of Hinnom”. This valley lay to the west and south of ancient Jerusalem. During the time of the later kings of Judah it was used in the idolatrous worship of Molech, human sacrifices being offered to this god by fire. (Josh. 15:8; 2 Chron. 28:3; 33:6; Jer. 7:31, 32; 32:35) To prevent its use again for such horrible religious purposes faithful King Josiah had it polluted and it came to be the dumping place and incinerator for the refuse of Jerusalem. (2 Ki. 23:10) The dead bodies of animals were thrown in, to be consumed by the fires kept burning there and to which sulphur or brimstone was added to assist the burning. Even bodies of executed criminals thought too vile to have a resurrection were disposed of there. If the bodies did not reach the fires but lodged on a ledge of the deep ravine worms (maggots) consumed them. https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G4663&t=NASB

Link to several translations of Psalms 16:10 https://bible.cc/psalms/16-10.htm 
    Link to Acts 2:27 https://bible.cc/acts/2-27.htm Notice that the Greek Hades is the same as the Hebrew Sheol. Translators try to translate Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna as Hell to support that idea. The Douay Rheims actually has Job praying to be protected in Hell. https://bible.cc/job/14-13.htm

Everlasting fire is symbolic of everlasting cutting-off or the second death.
    (Matthew 25:41) “Then he will say, in turn, to those on his left, ‘Be on YOUR way from me, YOU who have been cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.
    (Matthew 10:28) And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Ge‧hen′na.
    (2 Peter 2:6) and by reducing the cities Sod′om and Go‧mor′rah to ashes he condemned them, setting a pattern for ungodly persons of things to come;
    (Jude 7) So too Sod′om and Go‧mor′rah and the cities about them, after they in the same manner as the foregoing ones had committed fornication excessively and gone out after flesh for unnatural use, are placed before [us] as a [warning] example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire.
    (Revelation 20:14) And death and Ha′des were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire.
    (Daniel 12:2) And there will be many of those asleep in the ground of dust who will wake up, these to indefinitely lasting life and those to reproaches [and] to indefinitely lasting abhorrence.
    (2 Thessalonians 1:9) These very ones will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction from before the Lord and from the glory of his strength,
    (Matthew 25:46) And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.”

This post was edited by texasescimo at March 31, 2020 11:08 AM MDT
      March 30, 2020 3:52 PM MDT

• "The Bible is clear that at death, one has been freed or acquitted from sin as the penalty for sin is death."

That is why I don't believe in burning in eternal flames. 

"The work of every person is revealed, for that day reveals it, because the work of every person is revealed by fire, what sort it is; the fire will test it. And whosever work shall remain shall receive his reward from The Builder. And whosever work will burn up will suffer loss, but he shall escape, but as if by fire."
      March 30, 2020 5:11 PM MDT

Nice! A study note to 1 Cor 3:15.

1 Corinthians 3:15

it will be as through fire: A Christian minister must use fire-resistant materials to build, or to help his student develop, Christian qualities that will survive tests of faith. (1Co 3:10-14) If a Christian teacher fails to do his work as instructed, he may find that his figurative building work is “burned up” if it is put to a fiery test. (Mt 28:19, 20; Ro 2:21, 22; 1Ti 4:16; 2Ti 2:15; 4:2) Also, the teacher himself may suffer like a man who lost everything in a fire and was himself just barely rescued. Paul employs the term “fire” in a figurative sense, as did other ancient Greek authors who used the expression “through fire” as a metaphor to say that someone barely escaped a trial or a difficult situation.

EDIT:
    Also, as far as the literal conscience torment and many other non biblical doctrines: 

The Bible foretold that there would be an apostasy after the death of the Apostles, with an increase in true knowledge in the time of the end.
    (Acts 20:29-31) I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among YOU and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among YOU yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31œTherefore keep awake, and bear in mind that for three years, night and day, I did not quit admonishing each one with tears.
    (2 Thessalonians 2:3-7) Let no one seduce YOU in any manner, because it will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness gets revealed, the son of destruction. 4 He is set in opposition and lifts himself up over everyone who is calledœgod or an object of reverence, so that he sits down in the temple of The God, publicly showing himself to be a god. 5 Do YOU not remember that, while I was yet with YOU, I used to tell YOU these things? 6 And so now YOU know the thing that acts as a restraint, with a view to his being revealed in his own due time. 7 True, the mystery of this lawlessness is already at work; but only till he who is right now acting as a restraint gets to be out of the way.
    (2 Peter 2:1-3) However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. 2 Furthermore, many will follow their acts of loose conduct, and on account of these the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. 3 Also, with covetousness they will exploit YOU with counterfeit words. But as for them, the judgment from of old is not moving slowly, and the destruction of them is not slumbering.
    (1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired utterances and teachings of demons, 2 by the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, marked in their conscience as with a branding iron; 3 forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.
    (2 Timothy 4:3-4) For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.
    Matthew 24:11) And many false prophets will arise and mislead many;
    Matthew 13:24-30,36-43

·  KNOWLEDGE ABUNDANT IN THE TIME OF THE END
    (Daniel 12:3-4) œAnd the ones having insight will shine like the brightness of the expanse; and those who are bringing the many to righteousness, like the stars to time indefinite, even forever. 4 œAnd as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant.€
    (Daniel 12:8-10) Now as for me, I heard, but I could not understand; so that I said: œO my lord, what will be the final part of these things?” 9 And he went on to say: œGo, Daniel, because the words are made secret and sealed up until the time of [the] end. 10 Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will certainly act wickedly, and no wicked ones at all will understand; but the ones having insight will understand.
    (Daniel 8:17) So he came beside where I was standing, but when he came I got terrified so that I fell upon my face. And he proceeded to say to me:œUnderstand, O son of man, that the vision is for the time of [the] end.
    (Revelation 1:1-3) A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented [it] in signs through him to his slave John, 2 who bore witness to the word God gave and to the witness Jesus Christ gave, even to all the things he saw. 3 Happy is he who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and who observe the things written in it; for the appointed time is near.
    (Revelation 22:10) He also tells me: Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, for the appointed time is near.
    (Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.
    (Romans 10:18) Nevertheless I ask, They did not fail to hear, did they? Why, in fact, into all the earth their sound went out, and to the extremities of the inhabited earth their utterances.”

The truth is out there. We have to pray for Holy Spirit to help our understanding, read with an open mind, and be willing to let go of any preconceived ideas as we find out that they are not really from the Bible.
    Acts 17:11 "Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so".
    (2 Timothy 3:16-17) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.
    (Acts 8:26-40)

This post was edited by texasescimo at March 31, 2020 11:08 AM MDT
      March 30, 2020 6:32 PM MDT