Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » The 14th Amendment says we are entitled to equal protection under the law. What's clear, is that police protection is ANYTHING but equal. Is it time for the feds to take over local police departments?

The 14th Amendment says we are entitled to equal protection under the law. What's clear, is that police protection is ANYTHING but equal. Is it time for the feds to take over local police departments?

Posted - September 25, 2016

Responses

• MY city has a PERFECT police department. Maybe all the black people should move here and stop complaining about it...

September 25, 2016 7:57 AM MDT

Hello Mr:

Dude.  I didn't know I could get under your skin like that..  Take a chill pill, wouldja?

excon

September 25, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

"Is it time for the feds to take over local police departments?"

No, however, organizations such as The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®) a community police credentialing authority should have their programs audited by a federal authority to ensure  the joint efforts of law enforcement are truly uniform from across jurisdictions.

(BTW: the CALEA's major executive associations are:)

• International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP);
    • National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE);
    • National Sheriffs' Association (NSA); and the
    • Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).

But their programs differ by region based on local resources that are available. I other words, there is no uniform procedures.

September 25, 2016 8:30 AM MDT

No, I think local law enforcement is one function where the arguments about federalism are valid.

HOWEVER, I think there is a valid role for the federal government to provide greater oversight and enforce accountability upon local law enforcment entities. History suggests social/demographic pressures often turn local law enforcement agencies into mechanisms of abuse and discrimination (cf. Ferguson, MO and a cast of thousands).

September 25, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

• Assuming that you're right about the system being institutionally racist, it's logical to assume it's present all the way up the chain of command. Why wouldn't it be?

It is already official policy to treat everyone equally. Why would federalization change anything? What do you expect the (miraculously non racist) feds to do differently? If the police at street level have prejudices, there are going to be problems and nothing the higher ups do is going to change that.

The reality is that black people are responsible for disproportionately more crime. Not racially profiling makes law enforcement less effective. Profiling is prohibited because we have decided that principles are more important than the effectiveness of law enforcement. We would rather live a free country with slightly more crime than a police state with slightly less crime.

I think federalization would make the situation worse. Centralization creates a seat of power. Seats of power attract the ambitious. The ambitious care more about success than principles.

September 25, 2016 8:38 AM MDT

" What's clear is that police protection is anything but equal".....LMAO !   Other than a few high profile shootings, fueled by the media's feeding frenzy, what's the issue ? 

September 25, 2016 8:45 AM MDT

Hello AS:

I guess the word systemic, means it's system wide..  And, of course, it mostly is.  Plus, you're right about it going all the way to the top.  But, top people CAN be changed.  And, I agree further, that it already IS policy..  But, the policy is NOT being enforced. 

Look. I'm not speaking in the abstract..  Execution, and leadership is HARD.  It's especially hard when you're up against a poisonous culture...  To that, I say SO???   It's DOABLE.. There ARE police forces that DO it..  I've experienced them.. 

Look..  I understand you think black people are somehow less civil than white people, and that belief forms the underpinnings of your posts..  Let me be clear, I couldn't DISAGREE more...  I will NEVER make you love black people, and you will NEVER make me hate them.    But, rather than talk about our prejudices, let's talk about what's happening on the ground.

excon

September 25, 2016 9:07 AM MDT

• I don't believe there are any INTRINSIC differences between black people and white people. I consider race about as significant as eye colour. However I do think there are cultural differences.

Not all cultures are of equal worth. Some cultures provide a solid foundation for liberty, achievement and prosperity and some don't. African American culture is a train wreck and there is simply no hope for African Americans until they come out of it.

September 25, 2016 9:56 AM MDT

September 25, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

September 25, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

Hello again, El:

I shall defer to OS, above.

excon

September 25, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

Hello again, AS:

That's different than what you said earlier, how???    I got it.  They're culture is INFERIOR to whites..

excon

September 25, 2016 10:21 AM MDT

Do black people even have "a culture of their own". Most I have met seemed just as American as anyone else. What is it based on? their slavery heritage?

September 25, 2016 10:49 AM MDT

More like 'several hundred shootings', in the past 15 years alone. It is not "just A few". Do your homework.

September 25, 2016 10:54 AM MDT

GREAT idea, because the Federal government is perfect.

We don't need no stinkin' checks and balances. And besides, their track record is to kill white citizens in the name of press coverage, so far . . .

September 25, 2016 10:58 AM MDT

A Federally run police force would make sense, The military is Federally run already, and where is fails it is usually due to orders from the federal authorities. eg: "Lets restart the gulf war in Iraq to look for some VMDs that I think is there.". In most nations policework is a responsibility of the government. In the US The outrage at the current 'epidemic' of police malfeacance is so strong it would have led to a change in government in most other nations (or to some affirmative action, more likely.)

September 25, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

• Cultural superiority has nothing to do with racial superiority. You're conflating race and culture. Race is genetic. Culture is a social construct.

Racism is the belief that a race is INTRINSICALLY inferior to another race (i.e. genetic inferiority).

The superiority of some cultures over others is just blindingly obvious and it has nothing to do with race.

September 25, 2016 11:46 AM MDT

Hello AS:

Lemme see.  You're NOT talking about black people, but you ARE talking about their culture??  Color me confused...

excon

September 25, 2016 12:50 PM MDT

Hello, again:

When the feds find that a police force violates citizens civil rights, they sue the department in federal court.  Generally, the jurisdiction settles and enters into a consent decree promising change, and is monitored by the court, and they don't dismiss the action until the jurisdiction proves itself.

So, if they can sue ONE police force, why can't they sue ALL of 'em - every single one??

excon

September 25, 2016 1:13 PM MDT

Two op-ed pieces from known liberal publications and a Wikipedia "article" on the colloquialism of "driving while black" are not facts that back the counter-assertion.

September 25, 2016 2:08 PM MDT

And that is statistically significant when compared with ? ? ? Maybe you had better be doing your homework for a change.

September 25, 2016 2:23 PM MDT

i think they should fire cops that are going around killing people instead of protecting them

September 25, 2016 5:56 PM MDT

Hey there ex...
    NO.....
    Questions of police brutality are more of a 5th amendment issue, I know of no state that has a law which states, "all are subject to the privileges and immunities guaranteed in the bill of rights except black people....."
    The same rule of law applies to everyone when it comes to due process in denying a person of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    If a disproportional number of black people are being killed by the police in a given area, it is certainly not because the law allows it in that area.
    That it the protection of the 14th amendment. It was part of the reconstruction amendments,13th, 14th and 15th which after the civil war defined and guaranteed all people, including the newly freed slaves equal protection of privileges, immunities and rights...
    Lets not forget that the 14th amendment also applies to the 9th and 10th amendments as well, giving states immunity from federal over reach.
    So, even though I disagree in there being a 14th amendment issue, I do believe there is a systemic intrusion in our 5th amendment rights of due process. this is true in the many police shootings and in other areas of policing as well.
    Stop and frisk being an obvious violation of our 5th amendment protections. Drunk driving checkpoints being another, you can be detained, searched, questioned all without warrant or even probable cause.
    While some of the recent high profile cases may have turned out to be legally justified, I agree many, many have not.
    A man should not die while in police custody. A man should not be beaten out of anger or revenge. A man should not be shot out of irrational fear..
    A man should not be pulled over because he fits a general profile if no crime was involved.
    So having said that and since you brought up the constitution, there is also this. The constitution assumes a law abiding citizenry, this is why it allows for the punishment of crime, along with its protections for how we prosecute crime. However, there are no police  shootings where I live, but look at places like Chicago where more people will have been murdered this year that all the U.S. soldiers killed in  Iraq the first year of the war there. It is in all senses, a war zone, around 500 murders this year alone. Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans...look at the violent crime rates, of course the police in these areas are going to be driven out of caution and fear more so than say in Woodside.
    This is not just a police problem. This is a problem in all of society where violence is tolerated. Crime ridden streets are going to be more dangerous than peaceful streets. We cant just look at the police and some of its actions and say that is the completeness of the problem without looking at everything else. There is no quick fix. The police aren't the cause, they are the effect. We put more stresses on them and they will become more stressed. Send them into a war zone and they will become soldiers. You look at the few and call the problem systemic, I look at the many and call it a testament to the police that the numbers aren't mush higher, given the violence levels in some of these areas.
    What I will agree has been systemic is the lack of resources that has been shown to many of these same areas.
    There is no better example of this than the lack of access to a great education. We can have all the grants and programs meant to benefit minorities when it comes to higher education we do, but they are meaningless if they cant graduate high school. We can start there, we can provide better schools and better care. We can invest in better infrastructure in these areas, promote more business growth, some parks would even be nice. We do all that, then lets revisit police violence. In the mean time...
    Absolutely prosecute any civil rights- due process violations committed by those sworn to protect us, on an individual basis and locally and without reservation.

October 2, 2016 12:28 PM MDT