Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does the whole COVID-19 response seem a bit Twilight Zone-ish to you? Why?

Does the whole COVID-19 response seem a bit Twilight Zone-ish to you? Why?

I can't put my finger on what it is about the whole thing that seems off. It feels inauthentic. And, it's not that I have a problem with taking precautions or trying to limit the spread. I don't question that it's dangerous for some people or that medical systems and hospitals get over-taxed when a deluge of sick people hit. But there's something that doesn't feel right about the whole thing and I don't know what it is that I'm picking up on. Curious to know if any of you are feeling it too or if you know what it is that seems off. 

Posted - March 28, 2020

Responses

Somewhat of a ghosty sensation with a lot fewer people around the streets and less vehicle traffic as well as so many stores,  restaurants,  bars, etc. closed up and shut down. 

The weather and I think everything else is behaving normal. 

Wait till April 1st and somebody shouts "APRIL FOOL'S.. IT'S ALL OVER NOW!"
      March 28, 2020 10:53 PM MDT

I wish.
      March 28, 2020 11:10 PM MDT

You make a good point there.

~
      March 28, 2020 11:26 PM MDT

It's very surreal.  We've heard about things like this in history books , and we've seen it in movies (which we know aren't real).  Yet we've never faced it personally.  So naturally we think it can't happen.  Even if/when it affects us directly (as individuals), it still won't feel real.
      March 28, 2020 11:33 PM MDT

• I think Shuhak has it right. This is something that no one who's currently alive has ever experienced. It's completely new and it's alarming so it seems a bit surreal. I do think the precautions are making it seem worse than it is, though. 
      March 28, 2020 11:43 PM MDT

I saw a woman at a store parking lot yesterday whose young child had just fallen down and hurt his knee. He was screaming bloody murder, but before reaching down to pick him up, she rifled through her purse to find a pair of rubber gloves and put them on. All the while he was howling, she kept saying, “Just a minute, Umpdefrats, I have to put my gloves on, I don’t know where you’ve been.”  I think he was about two years old. 

:(
      March 28, 2020 11:51 PM MDT

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, you have the people who think it's all a big hoax and are out and about partying on the beaches for spring break.  I guess when 17 of them were diagnosed with the virus, they may have changed their minds.
      March 29, 2020 3:22 PM MDT

We are so used to the media sensationalizing things that I think I have a subconscious idea that this is just more hype.
      March 29, 2020 4:24 AM MDT

Everything is closed and everyone is locked down, stir crazy and paranoid. Worse, there are no sports on...

Does it seem only a matter of time ‘til the zombie army rolls in, or the asteroid hits?

Seriously, the overarching aura of dread that no end is in sight, is palpable; the disease is spreading, there is no treatment, and the news is always worse than yesterday.
    It sure would have been a difference maker -at least here in the states- had competent, effective and responsive leadership been present before and during the onset of this disaster. The want of it now amid the blame shifting and mixed messaging from those in power have not provided either significant comfort nor sanity to the growing malaise... 

... oh, and no toilet paper. 

Rod Serling couldn’t have written this any better....

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 2, 2020 12:10 AM MDT
      March 29, 2020 6:02 AM MDT

The toilet paper!  Not the toilet paper!  What will they take from us next?  There is none left, it can’t be found anywhere, only the filthy rich can get their hands on it, and they’re stockpiling it, hoarding it from the rest of us!  Arrrggghhhh!

~
      March 29, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

It is a strange situtation.
    And the reaction is overkill.  We know where the large number of cases. It makes sense there. It does not make sense in a county/town with 1 or 2 cases. Shutting down all businesses.  

I get that it is contagious. But 95% of the cases are mild.  The ones that are not generally have other medical issues. If people have  issues....they should take extra precautions. 

I think the inauthentic feel is a combination of feeling that it is an over reaction, causing financial stress, emotional stress and seeing it politicised.
      March 29, 2020 7:23 AM MDT

3 weeks ago, there was 1 case in my county. Now there are 440+ and 5 deaths. And that is after a 2 week stay at home order and with only serious cases being tested and confirmed. Shut downs are about prevention. The smaller the town or county, the more likely that their healthcare system will be overwhelmed by an outbreak.  I happen to care about people with underlying health conditions who still need to interact with other humans in order to live. I happen to care about first responders and health care providers who still need to keep doing their jobs and coming in contact with vulnerable people while putting themselves at risk. If a person believes that all life is precious, they will want to do their part in keeping others safe. You can get your money back, you can't get your loved ones back.
      March 29, 2020 9:29 AM MDT

We have 2.   My state has 800. 10 deathes. The majority are in the large cities. Put the travel restrictions on the areas which have the cases. And enforce them. 

I care about people. This effects more than just the sick and the healthcare system worker. Some businesses are looking at being shutdown for their busy season. If that happens people will be on the street.  I care about those people as well. 
    It is not about getting money back...it is about not loosing homes/businesses. 

People with underlining conditions know it and they people around them also know it. And should take proper precautions.  My MIL is older and before she comes over the first thing she asks "is anyone sick" if so she does not come over. 

95% of the cases are mild worldwide.....
    97% of the cases in USA are mild. 

This post was edited by my2cents at April 2, 2020 6:09 AM MDT
      March 29, 2020 11:57 AM MDT

Yup, my thoughts as well.
      March 31, 2020 5:39 PM MDT

I think it's fun. (sicko) Last week I had downtown to myself. I was the only car and I saw three people.
      March 29, 2020 9:42 AM MDT

Anything is possible. It's not really healthy for me to allow myself to go down those rabbit holes, so I avoid giving it much thought. 

One thing I know for sure is that those who have the most resources, will be the least affected. Those who already struggle to survive will be the most affected. 

I'm speaking in general terms, not suggesting that the wealthy are immune from the actual disease. 

Another thing that is scientifically believed to be certain is that this started because of humans eating animals. The hypocrisy of those who point fingers at a people who eat a particular animal versus any other species is almost laughable to me. 

March 29, 2020 9:58 AM MDT

It felt surreal to me a few days ago, now it's all too real, I'm on my own so not having human interaction or contact is death in of itself, I'm a very social person.  I'm phoning a friend nearly every day but it's definitely NOT the same. To top it off I've got neighbours who clearly do think it is the end of the world and so anything goes, getting drunk, shouting and heavy metal music blasting out of the windows day and night. My adjoining neighbour has got dementia and her family have left her here alone, so I've had her up all night long, and sleeping all day, I had to call the police the other day because she threatened to knife her son for stealing from her account, (none of which is true as she is constantly making accusations of people stealing from her or spying on her which is the paranoia that comes with certain types of dementia), so her fifty year old son has left.  So I've had to get in touch with social services, my landlord and the police because she is unable to care for herself, she has no one to put a routine in place doesn't eat, sleep or bathe when left here alone, and she's a hoarder and has hoarded herself out of much of her property so lives and sleeps in the one room that adjoins my bedroom. So less twilight zone and more,  "I've had enough of it all ready." This post was edited by kjames at April 2, 2020 12:11 AM MDT
      March 29, 2020 10:22 AM MDT

I've thought about your poor neighbor with dementia since reading this. How are things going? Was social services able to provide help?
      April 4, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

The fact that the numbers of infected persons rises by leaps and bounds daily and that deaths also rise daily should be enough to tell you that there's no overstating the danger of this virus or how easily it's spread.  If people choose not to believe what the hospitals are trying to cope with, then they are in denial.  I feel bad for those who are in critical professions and have to go to work.  The number of hospital and healthcare workers and others who must be out to keep our cities running being diagnosed is increasing every day.  Doctors will soon have to decide who lives and who dies based on lack of available respirators.  That is a decision that will weigh very heavily on all who care for sick patients and I can foresee a rise in the number of people who will need mental health assistance - something akin to PTSD. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at April 2, 2020 12:11 AM MDT
      March 29, 2020 3:34 PM MDT

Well said. I'm in the UK, my cousin's partner is a hospital worker, he had to take care of 3 Covid 19 positive patients and wasn't given enough protective clothing, he has now come down with high temperature, cough, thumping headache, body aches and now my cousin has it, she said she feels really awful, they have two children. He said here they are not making testing nurses and doctors for the virus a priority, add to that they are understaffed, and so they could very well be infecting each other and non covid 19 patients, it is that bad.  This is going to get a lot worse, and yes they are afraid, and very stressed. This post was edited by kjames at March 30, 2020 4:13 PM MDT
      March 30, 2020 12:55 PM MDT

I can certainly understand the high stress level.  I'm sure there are hospitals here in the US who are in the same boat.  Good luck to your cousin and her family.  I hope they weather the storm.
      March 30, 2020 4:14 PM MDT

Thank you SSenior.
      March 31, 2020 3:13 PM MDT