Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » So who’s the bigger fool, the Megachurch pastor in Texas who held a huge service in defiance of the virus, or the sheeple who showed up?

So who’s the bigger fool, the Megachurch pastor in Texas who held a huge service in defiance of the virus, or the sheeple who showed up?

Or maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea after all? 

Posted - March 30, 2020

Responses

I think it's a case of SNAP ,but there is no winners in this game ,only WIENERS  with sore throats and coughs  :( 
      March 30, 2020 7:31 PM MDT

I really thought about this.  For most of the years of my life I was very involved in my Church.  Never in that time would I follow instructions or "the crowd" to something so obviously wrong for my children and myself. 

I don't have to blame anyone but one mustn't go to a service to experience God.  And many congregations are meeting using software with no possible transmission of disease.  What a time to be alive.  
      March 30, 2020 7:32 PM MDT

I appreciate your consideration.

I question the motive there, was it really for God’s glory or the pastor’s?
    Defiance of good sense is bad belief, IMO. 

March 30, 2020 7:49 PM MDT

The sheep. He is far enough away from them at the pulpit to not be infected, but is still gathering their money. Genius.
      March 30, 2020 7:42 PM MDT

It's probably the people who showed up because they're more likely to catch coronavirus than the pastor.  The pastor's kind of set apart from the congregation in his pulpit.  I had an argument with my mom about this yesterday who never misses church on Sunday.  They could just do Facebook Live or Youtube streaming but for some reason being there is just that important to some people and my mom's one of them.  I'm unable to see her point of view on this.

In my family, especially with my mom, religion is usually the flashpoint for most of our arguments being that she's a Christian, I'm a heathen and my husband's a pagan so I kind of knew that bringing up the issue of her being in a group of more than ten people would be the start of another argument.

Anyway, one of my cousins is a nurse and my aunt is nurse and they're telling me this needs to be taken really seriously.  My cousin who's a nurse in Colorado has real horror stories about the patients who are dying from this and I really hope she doesn't catch it from them, but for some reason my mom doesn't think this is important and she doesn't seem to think any of the health guidelines that everybody else is trying to follow apply to her.

This post was edited by Livvie at March 31, 2020 10:33 AM MDT
      March 31, 2020 1:56 AM MDT

As a fellow heathen, I know it isn’t news to you that one of the defining qualities of adhering to religion is self-delusion: Denying what is evident in favor of what one really wants to be so. No one likes to expose it in those we love, even when it screams out at us, but isn’t it curious how the overtly religious will seldom hesitate to do exactly that when they imagine the shoe is on the other foot. And it clearly requires the continuing support of others like themselves to prop up. It’s like policy. How dare their faith be questioned in the face of opposing evidence. That so many fail to get the fallacious logic there, is a pox on our world, IMO. This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 31, 2020 10:34 AM MDT
      March 31, 2020 4:56 AM MDT

• The bigger fools are the ones who think maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea after all.
      March 31, 2020 8:04 AM MDT