Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Is the coronavirus nature's response to global warming?

Is the coronavirus nature's response to global warming?

Posted - April 11, 2020

Responses

I don't think so.

The zootic viruses are present in wild and domestic livestock irrespective of climate change.

Sustained average warmer temperatures do challenge the immunity of some species, such as bats.
    So when humans handle the animals in wet markets, there might be a higher probability of transmissions from sick animals -- but that's only a guess.

But diseases in general could become more prevalent due to climate change.
    At places like the South Pole, it's too cold for bacteria to multiply easily,
    while in the tropics many diseases spread with incredible ease.

April 11, 2020 6:01 PM MDT

No.
    Two conditions of unrelated origin, but occurring simultaneously, and brought on and exacerbated by an overabundance of humans. 
      April 11, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

I'm going with no.
      April 12, 2020 3:57 AM MDT

No....It's just natures way of trying to bug us all for our own greed and stupidity :( 
      April 12, 2020 4:04 AM MDT

No.  I think pandemics are nature's way of culling the population so the earth can sustain those remaining.  Otherwise, starvation would be rampant.
      April 12, 2020 10:25 AM MDT

No, I don't think they are related.. The reverse may be true... that the increase in frequency and ease of travel means people are more mobile, which increased transmission.. So, less travel would cause less global warming and decreased likelihood of pandemics.
      April 12, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

What a stupid question and anybody who has a bummer police insignia on his logo is some kind of bad anyways!
      April 12, 2020 4:18 PM MDT