Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » No disrespect intended, but what's up with Christianity and hokey holiday characters like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

No disrespect intended, but what's up with Christianity and hokey holiday characters like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?

Posted - April 12, 2020

Responses

Sorry, I took you at your word in what you said. But we know where that ends up. Sorry.
      April 15, 2020 5:56 AM MDT

What you did was misconstrue the context of my post.

Apology accepted.  
      April 15, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

There's truth in them there WURDS partner....hehe 
      April 17, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

So to you, going to your synagogue is no different than going to comic con? Do others at your synagogue believe in the Hebrew scriptures or do they pretty much just teach that it is full of myths and Moses never existed?

https://www.comic-con.org/
      April 13, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

I do not do Santa or the Easter Bunny.  I do celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Passover and Resurrection Day.
      April 13, 2020 2:12 PM MDT

Santa and the Easter Bunny are completely believable....Presents and Easter eggs don't just fall down from the sky over night from God knows where......
    All religions on the other hand were created many thousands of years ago when the masses of the world were nothing more than totally gullible and stupid .....
    Actually the bible is the first ever book of  fiction .....Two of each every living breathing creatures on this planet ,all packed on one tiny little wood boat and then in a tiny amount of time and through incest creating all the different races of people in their billions on this ear planet.....
    I might still be blonde ,but thank god I've got a brain that partly works :)D 
      April 15, 2020 6:36 AM MDT

Wrong, now go forth my child and think and reason no more. 

Put two mice in a barn and in a couple of months there are thousands (1). Without incest there would be no genetic mutation.  Without that Darwin on the Beagle would never have come up with his outlandish "scientific" theory of evolution (2).

Two points supporting your hypothesis.  It was Noah and his sons, other than mom there were no other women mentioned.  Now how did his boys breed (1).  With only two worms for fishing why do we still have so many worms (2)

I am confuzzled I tell you, I am confuzzzled

April 17, 2020 8:51 AM MDT

Countless billions of  people simply cannot come from just one couple....how strange just one man named Adam and a women named Eve hatched ever new birth ever born...Such  stupidity beggers belief...
    Ive no dobut these  crazy thoughts were spawned by men and men alone....:(
      April 17, 2020 10:46 AM MDT

So all people cannot come from two people but all forms of life can come from a common ancestor? Or I think the popular belief may have evolved into that all life came from a few common ancestors?
    All Tardigrades and all Blue Whales came from a common ancestor but all humans to have come from Two common ancestors is ridiculous?
    Mice in a barn will likely only produce rodent like critters just like finches only produced bird like critters.
      April 17, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

I wonder where this make believe  Adam and Eve things  were magicked  up from if they were supposed to be the first humans born...immaculate conception cums to mind...:(
      April 17, 2020 2:28 PM MDT

One should really READ the Bible first, preferable with an open mind, before coming to conclusions about it.

(Proverbs 18:13) When anyone replies to a matter before he hears the facts, It is foolish and humiliating.
      April 17, 2020 5:09 PM MDT

Humans are not mice or rats and it takes seventeen years plus for its females to produce young safely......
    Can you imagine what inbred reprobates the human race would be like if brother and sister had been humping each other and all from the same blood stock for twenty thousand years...

Doesnt it worry you that humans are the only living thing that's created all kinds of weapons of mass destruction both mechanical and also chemical and also viral now as well..

It takes only one old  halfwitted warmonger leader to let of one biological weapon that can wipe out all known life on earth....and none of the ones we have are not suppose to be inbred....
      April 17, 2020 5:38 PM MDT

Unless they were created perfect and each generation got further away from perfection. I would think that further down the line you don't have all the genes Adam and Eve had and and isolating a gene pool would give the affects of inbreeding we see now.
    The other option is that you have to apply what you did about humans to the common ancestor, inbreeding from the get go.

I know that God is going to have to intervene and will so man doesn't do that.
    (Revelation 11:18) But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came for the dead to be judged and to reward your slaves the prophets and the holy ones and those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

April 17, 2020 8:24 PM MDT

Noah's son each had a wife before the flood and they were also on the ark. 
      April 17, 2020 1:19 PM MDT

So says the fable. But there is no way to know if such people actually existed or if the whole thing was an apocryphal story meant to scare people straight.
      April 17, 2020 1:24 PM MDT

So says the Bible and the Torah. 
      April 17, 2020 1:39 PM MDT

Much of what's in there did not literally happen. Many stories, such as the golden calf at Mt. Sinai, were rooted in politics and trying to scare people away from doing the wrong thing. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at April 28, 2020 3:55 PM MDT
      April 17, 2020 1:45 PM MDT

You are free to believe what you wish.  I personally believe what the Bible says. 
      April 17, 2020 2:09 PM MDT

I see the story of the Exodus as an allegory of a people (childlike because under authority and dependent) coming of age (leaving home) and discovering the need to become personally and socially responsible for the consequences of their actions in order to survive (become interdependent adults.)
    Recent studies in Israel have upset a lot of people with the discovery that there is absolutely no historical evidence that the Exodus ever took place.
    But it doesn't matter. Because it's the uniting aspect of the story, it's inner meaning for and entire culture and its faith that counts. This post was edited by inky at April 28, 2020 4:01 PM MDT
      April 28, 2020 4:00 PM MDT

There is archaeological evidence of the Book of Exodus.
      April 30, 2020 11:39 AM MDT

The info I mentioned above came from contemporary Israeli scholars.

Could you please send me the references? I'd be very interested to check them out.

Of course, in matters of history, it's important to check all possible sources.
      April 30, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

Nice humble response.
      April 30, 2020 5:05 PM MDT

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/exodus/exodus-fact-or-fiction/
      April 30, 2020 6:12 PM MDT

Here are a couple of short articles that may be of interest, if you were sincere?

Did You Know?

What evidence exists outside the Bible that the Israelites were slaves in Egypt?

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-march-2020/were-israelites-slaves-in-egypt/

A Book You Can Trust—Part 1
    Egypt in Bible History

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201011/egypt-in-bible-history/
      May 10, 2020 3:53 AM MDT

Way to go Stew....:) 
      April 17, 2020 2:31 PM MDT