Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Will the empty shelves in your grocery store FILL up soon, or will the full shelves soon EMPTY out?

Will the empty shelves in your grocery store FILL up soon, or will the full shelves soon EMPTY out?

Did the preppers have it right?

The supply chain is breaking down right in front of us.  Meat packers are closing down.  Crops in the fields are going unpicked..  Dairy farmers are pouring their milk out.  Millions line up at food banks.  Without food or people to stock the shelves, your grocery stores are gonna close..

I usually have an optimistic outlook - but NOT this time.

Posted - April 14, 2020

Responses

It's difficult because we have two supply chains, one for consumers and one for businesses.  Because we are eating at home, we are overwhelming that supply chain while food meant for businesses, school cafeterias, etc. is going to waste. It's the same with toilet paper.
      April 14, 2020 9:51 AM MDT

And is that is why supply chains are dumping a lot of food? That was a disgusting thing to read. What a waste. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 16, 2020 12:35 PM MDT
      April 15, 2020 2:51 AM MDT

Shelves are well stocked here in the midwest. Soup and toilet paper seem to be out, however.
      April 14, 2020 9:56 AM MDT

And dry beans.
      April 14, 2020 10:14 AM MDT

For the most part, shelves are well-stocked locally.
    Even TP and cleaning supplies are slowly reaching normal stock levels.
        (they are no longer empty, but not stocked to the level they were before)

The other day, Fred Meyers (Kroger) even had an end-cap full of Hydrogen Peroxide bottles ... and selling 10 for $10.
      April 14, 2020 10:11 AM MDT

What B.H.Wilson said.
      April 14, 2020 10:15 AM MDT

I can empathise, we had a week or so where the shelves were empty, back in the beginning of this...now the shelves are pretty much full, I can't get flour and paracetamol/ibuprofen but aside from that, everything is fine.. Here butchers, meat packers and anything to do with food or meds are operating fairly normally as are farmers. We have heard of farmers who supply specific places such as restaurants and catering firms have had to tip their milk away but most are not doing so
      April 14, 2020 2:07 PM MDT

Why aren't the Dairy Farmers donating the unused milk to the food banks?  Why aren't all the unused items going to food banks?
    If we learn more about nutrition and practiced what we learned maybe these numbers would look more appropriate.
    What a sad statement.
    I do not think preppers have it right all the way.
    Fresh produce, meat and dairy are vital. 
    Even if you knocked out the meat and dairy, I still feel you need fresh fruits and vegetables and some sort of starch and protein. You can get those too from fruits and vegetables.  All can be found in your garden. 
      April 14, 2020 2:32 PM MDT

April 14, 2020 2:37 PM MDT