Active Now

Shuhak
Element 99
DannyPetti
Pet Eater
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Half a dozen typos and/or other grammatical errors in a few hours. Am I dying? What have you heard? How much time do I have left? ~

Half a dozen typos and/or other grammatical errors in a few hours. Am I dying? What have you heard? How much time do I have left? ~

Posted - April 25, 2020

Responses

He does it on purpose to see if anyone catches them. That's the excuse I always use.
      April 25, 2020 4:40 PM MDT

You might be right.
    And then if we call him out, he can feel more comfy about calling us out for our bloopers.
    Not that I've noticed you with errors of spelling, punctuation or grammar; it they're there at all it's a part of your jokes.
      April 25, 2020 7:36 PM MDT

Thank you, my friend. 

You would probably not believe how many times I have done exactly that; deleted a post of mine and then posted a corrected version because I discovered I had committed an error. I never do that when another member has already responded or clicked the “Like” button because it also deletes what he or she has inputted. 

I myself am the one who would be bothered by “a few minor errors”, especially because they were my own errors. There’s only one way I could ever relax that much:

~
      April 25, 2020 4:48 PM MDT

Giggles.

I'd far rather have you policing our bloopers than on a slab in a morgue.

You wouldn't happen to be a professional copy and proof-editor, would you?
      April 25, 2020 5:41 PM MDT

Nope. I just paid attention when grammar was being taught, that’s my only claim to game fame in that area.

[Edited typo: game fame.]
    ~
    This post was edited by Randy D at April 26, 2020 9:02 AM MDT
      April 25, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

So did I.

I believe the standard of teaching the topic was much higher in our generation.

I've always put a high value on clear communication.

April 25, 2020 6:52 PM MDT

There’s SO much that’s no longer being taught these days: cursive handwriting, grammar, spelling, syntax, sentence structure, parts of speech, creative writing, English composition, the list goes on and on. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come across writings by supposedly college-educated “professionals” where their sentences beginning with lowercase letters, proper names of people and places beginning with lowercase letters, misspellings, incorrect word usage, etc. Grrrrrr. 

April 25, 2020 7:10 PM MDT

If it's any consolation, I think the world is about to be swept by a movement back to teaching all those basics from years K to 12.

I was chatting about this with my tutor the other day, saying that I thought unis should require a 97% correct score on an advanced language test prior to entry.

I was half expecting her to disagree and say something like, "it's up to the student to be responsible for teaching themselves what they need to know." But she surprised me. She said many of the professors and tutors think there's a need to introduce a six month bridging course. This post was edited by inky at April 26, 2020 8:43 AM MDT
      April 25, 2020 7:21 PM MDT

If students require "bonehead English", they shouldn't be admitted to college in the first place. That is an elementary/primary school subject. 
      April 25, 2020 8:23 PM MDT

I had a student named Mintu Ngyen, from Vietnam. She knew little English, but by the time she got to high school, she had better English language skills that 75% of my other students. She scored highest in her class in the State graduation tests. Shame on the other students. Oddly enough, I assisted her aunt and uncle with an organic chemistry lab in college. They both got As and received awards. That was one of the highlights of my college career. (That's my pat on the back.)
      April 26, 2020 8:52 AM MDT

I quit using cursive right after high school and haven't used it since. My mind races ahead, my hand struggles vainly to keep up and the result was so sloppy that even I couldn't read it. At least when printed I can puzzle it out.
    Quite a few errors creep in to papers from even the most eminent researchers, but a lot comes down to the printing process. Once upon a time, printers were respected tradesmen and women, now they're illiterate morons.
    Typos are forgivable, most of my errors are typographical clumsiness. Then there's DYAC!
      April 25, 2020 7:27 PM MDT

The lower case letters are due to cell phone use and laziness. I had another member here tell us that.

Claim to game? I guess that works, since this is all a game.
      April 26, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

Doh!

[Edited typo: game fame.]
    ~
      April 26, 2020 9:04 AM MDT

One more nail in the coffin.
      April 26, 2020 9:08 AM MDT

I’m a goner. 

:(
      April 26, 2020 9:10 AM MDT