Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What is your favorite cinematic explosion?

What is your favorite cinematic explosion?

Posted - May 1, 2020

Responses

They’re too numerous for me to try and narrow it down to just one, not even just the top ten. 

~
      May 1, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

• Alright.  What are your Top 25 cinematic explosions?
      May 1, 2020 6:57 AM MDT

Alright All right
      May 1, 2020 7:02 AM MDT

• Hmph.  I'll stick to my informal usage thank you very much. If it was good enough for Mark Twain it's good enough for me. 
      May 1, 2020 7:14 AM MDT

This one was kinda fun. Don't mess with anti-matter.

May 1, 2020 7:54 AM MDT

• Yess, this was a pretty cool one.  Quite unexpected for a James Bond: College Professor movie. 
      May 1, 2020 8:33 AM MDT

Offhand, I can't think of even one. Must mean I don't have one.

I tend not to be a huge fan of the big blockbuster type of films and that seems to be the genre of which most big explosions happen. 
    But, I'll probably spend the day thinking about movies I like that might have an explosion in them and maybe I'll be back later with an explosion.
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 1, 2020 8:36 AM MDT
      May 1, 2020 8:03 AM MDT

• Don't let your head explode over a post about movie explosions. 
      May 1, 2020 8:34 AM MDT

Ha!
    I only now saw your reply here -- after posting my other answer and seeing your reply to that answer. :)
      May 1, 2020 1:33 PM MDT

In my total judgement, Transformers Devastation movie took the cake! And yes, you can call this a cinematic explosion! Enjoy!
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at May 1, 2020 1:33 PM MDT
      May 1, 2020 8:36 AM MDT

• I would probably completely enjoy this but I currently don't have an hour and 17 minutes to watch this, lol.  Will keep in mind for a later date. 
      May 1, 2020 8:53 AM MDT

You bet Bob! Remember! I'm your brother.
      May 1, 2020 10:11 AM MDT

I got it!!!!!!

It came to me!!

HUGE PLOT SPOILER!!! for the movie I'm going to mention . . . .

Alfred Hitchcock's "Sabotage"

omg -- this movie blew me away -- bad pun intended, I guess, under the circumstances -- 

I saw this movie as an adult and I only knew it was a Hitchcock film when I started to watch - - and, after that first viewing, I thought, "God, WHY doesn't everyone talk about THIS Hitchcock movie?" Wow! One of the best to me!

And, I believe, this movie features, of all of his movies, the only scene that Hitchcock, himself, says he would change. And this is that scene - - the scene works best for me, obviously, after seeing everything leading up to it.

I can't say enough "Wow's"about this movie - - and this scene had me SO uptight!

Great, great movie --

I love my answer!!!
    :) :)

PLOT SPOILER!!!!! "SABOTAGE" --  if you watch this scene, this boy does not know he is carrying a bomb! He was told by an adult ("the Bad Guy" of the movie) to take the package and deliver it by a certain time and the boy keeps getting detained .. . . . omg -- almost kills me watching this scene. The boy has no idea what he is carrying but we, the audience, do know.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 1, 2020 5:24 PM MDT
      May 1, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

• I guess those effects aren't too shabby for 1930's.  I've never seen that one before. 
      May 1, 2020 1:26 PM MDT

Ha!
    :)

And this youtube clip "clips" off the scene so abruptly, too. :)

I highly recommend the movie, even though, in some ways, this is a the scene that I remember most. And, even better for me, it's not the special effects of the explosion itself that makes it so effective  itself- - for me, it's everything leading up to this moment of the movie, that's what makes the explosion so unforgettable -- because I care about what's going on with the characters.  :)
      May 1, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

• I totally get it...it's a fun plot device writers use.  Letting the audience know what's going on while keeping the characters oblivious.  It makes you almost want to yell at them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 1, 2020 5:25 PM MDT
      May 1, 2020 1:32 PM MDT

Yeah, you got that right! I was "pulling for him" all the way! I still get chills -- and it's been years since I saw the movie but watching the scene here again brought it all back. (In a great way!)
      May 1, 2020 1:36 PM MDT