Active Now

Element 99
Thebigd
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Those who went through abuse/trauma; how do you separate yourself fully from the things that happened to you?

Those who went through abuse/trauma; how do you separate yourself fully from the things that happened to you?

How can you NOT identify anymore with being 'weak', 'dumb', 'incapable' or feeling less than others? Especially when you feel so tainted, b/c you DO have and get anxiety from the past trauma, and you DO feel small or less ...if it was how you viewed yourself for YEAR s and Years, how can you change it to finally have love or joy ?

Posted - September 29, 2016

Responses

Ty Huw :) First, thank you so much for that service you provided, salute, and hugg you :) I can just imagine that trauma how it stays with vets, how these things that went on are just not 'natural' human things to be around consistently or hear/see. :/  My upbringing almost felt like a death of sorts.. a place of utter chaos and domestic violence ... I was once locked out of my house at 8 yrs. old b/c I didn't come 'right away' inside. I was terrified of that, that I wouldn't be let back in, I still remember that. Shoved against a jagged picture frame b/c I said my opinion... and compared to friend, berated etc. I have symptoms of PTSD, and feel very jumpy if anyone is behind me in public. I think you are right in your advice that I have all of the rest of me too ... that I am someone who has done many things, and to focus on the NOW. I want to completely separate myself from the 'past'.. I want to actually eliminate all the trauma and vile moments... I'd like to actually share love with someone, and not be AFRAID I'm not worth it.... I like 'to be immune to being hurt would also be to be incapaple of doing anything in the real world..' So true, I have done this... I try to Keep myself from more hurt or rejection/pain by not dating, by not doing things like travel etc.. I get anxiety. but I guess we both have been through very rough thigns, not natural in most lives'. So that is a thing that we got THROUGH it *huggg. I'm so sorry you saw what you did back then :(  Ty so much for your great post today... I really appreciate it..
      October 6, 2016 7:49 PM MDT
  • Huw

Baybreeze- Here's a thought that you may find shocking, but please consider it.

The wounds that you mention, and others I suspect you have suffered but do not mention - Perhaps these are not weaknesses; perhaps if you understand them the right way they are STRENGTHS. Gifts. Things that you have that can enable you to reach out to others who have been hurt as you have been, to relate to them, to care/share with them, to show them that they are not alone but part of a community -the community of suffering, of human vulnerability that in fact includes ALL of us.

I was never shut out of my home as a punishment, but I did, when quite a small child (about three yrs old, I think) get lost in a wheat field where the wheat was much higher than my head. I remember the terror that I felt then, and it allows me to understand the "separation anxiety" that not only small children but even animals and yes, adults too can feel when they are separated -perhaps as far as they know, forever!- from their families and friends.

I was cut off behind enemy lines for eight days in Korea. I know utter aloneness. But I think my childhood time in that wheat field helped me survive that time in Korea. And both of these experiences help me to identify with you now. During that time in Korea I was desperately hungry. I don't know if you know this, but Koreans consider dog flesh an acceptable meat, At that time they raised puppies for food -and I have gnawed on thrown-away puppy bones in the garbage outside North Korean villages while trying to find my way back to American lines. Actually that is just one of three times when I have been actually starving. But all these experiences lie behind my passionate commitment to do all that I can to make sure that people in my community  -where about 40 percent do not earn a "living wage"- get fed. I have worked as a director of two charity food pantries ever since my retirement from university teaching twenty-two years ago.

I could go on like this for several more paragraphs, because I am a very old man who has experienced a lot of the stuff that life throws at us all. But that's not the point I hope I'm communicating to you. That point is stated very simply in the words of a song I learned in music class when I was in the 7th or 8th grade:

"When you are happy, oh friend of mine
            And all your skies are blue,
          Tell me why, dear friend of mine
            So I may rejoice with you.

But when you are sad,  dear friend of mine
            And all your skies are gray,
          Tell me why, oh friend of mine,
            That I may wipe your tears away.

I went to the funeral of an old friend today... We joined our university faculty together in 1969, forty-seven years ago. I listened to his son struggle through tears to read the eulogy he had written for his dad. I gave the eulogy for my father twenty-eight years ago. and I know what David -who as a little boy slept on the couch  in our living room while  we grown-ups played cards and plotted strategy in university politics- was going through.

Let's you and I be friends?

Huw This post was edited by Huw at March 30, 2017 9:17 PM MDT
      October 6, 2016 9:41 PM MDT

Wow, this is the most wonderful and heart warming post I have ever read on this site. I am privileged to have been able to take part in it. My prayers are with everyone who has been hurt or harmed in any way thru out their life. 

May Your lives be filled with all that  God has for you!!

October 6, 2016 11:06 PM MDT
  • Huw

Hey Baybreeze -How are you doing? Have we drowned you with our long-winded advice?
      October 8, 2016 5:40 PM MDT

Hi Huw, I am ok , ty :)  I want to thank you for such a great reply.  I have thought well, maybe the doubt and low self esteem (in fact nearly no self esteem sometimes ).. and fear I have gone through for a while now, could be a STRENGTH, that I made it through something that was inhumane..but your view of it, when you said, the word STRENGTH, I believed it from you. Sometimes I doubt is it really strength? to feel low, or less than others? I think I do have more compassion than most people, and empathy... most just don't understand others true pain, but I think I can. I'm so sorry that you had to eat those things, and that you went through such an awful time :( I really enjoyed the friend poem/song, ty so much for that. I appreciate your messages and care, ty friend ... Hugggg. 
      October 9, 2016 12:13 AM MDT