Discussion » Questions » Music » Is there a song that any time you hear it, your first thought is "This is such a good song"?

Is there a song that any time you hear it, your first thought is "This is such a good song"?

Tom Petty's " Free Fallin' " is one for me

Somehow, the song stands out from many other songs I really like.
Any time I hear it, it's like I'm hearing it for the first time.

Posted - May 5, 2020

Responses

There are a million of them.  I have been singing and humming this one for a few days.

May 5, 2020 1:22 PM MDT

In general, I'm not usually a country music fan but I liked this! I hadn't heard it before.
    And I like the instrumentals / rhythms background through the whole song, too. Sad song.

Funny -- I say that in general I'm not much of a country fan - - but I consider Bobbie Gentry's "Ode to Billie Joe" the best song I've ever heard. I love all her other stuff, too.

And I'm a huge fan of Dwight Yoakam. (I read a day or so ago that he just got married.)

And, for me, Patsy Cline has the best singing voice I've yet to hear.

:)

Somehow, maybe I like country music more than I think I do.
      May 5, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

This came off of Brooks and Dunn's first album.  They are great writers.  I'm not generally a country music fan but like it more as I get older.  I'm listening to a George Strait album now on Youtube.
      May 5, 2020 2:26 PM MDT

Wow! Their first album! This may be my favorite song I've heard from them! For some unknown reason I figured it may have been a really recent song or something.
      May 5, 2020 3:15 PM MDT

I believe I was watching Johnny Carson, when I first heard this song performed. 

May 5, 2020 1:39 PM MDT

Have you seen the many posts I've 'posted' about this song? If not, I always say the same thing -- for me, this song is "The Best Song I've Ever Heard."

Everything -- everything - - about this song is perfect to me.

I keep saying it, I know -- but this is Number One Best Song Ever for me! I'm very pleasantly surprised that you answered with "Ode to Billie Joe"!

May 5, 2020 1:45 PM MDT

Just about anything by the Beatles.
      May 5, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

Even though I like The Beatles, too, I admit that I get a huge kick out of their songs when "The Chipmunks" sing them, ha! My siblings and I had a Chipmunks album growing up where they sang Beatles' songs. :)

By far, my favorite Beatles song  is "Come Together." :)

I thought I'd share this before I run off again- - but for a long time I kept hearing this song on the radio by chance, never knowing who sang it but  always loving it. And I knew it wasn't by The Beatles but it has a Beatles sound to it for me. I recently found out the song is "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran. I love it. :)

May 5, 2020 2:01 PM MDT

I am partial to this Chipmunks video:
      May 5, 2020 4:35 PM MDT

Ha!

Yup -  the same idea with those Beatles song but Beyonce style this time! :)

This looks like it comes from a movie? I've not seen it.
      May 11, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

•   May 5, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

May 5, 2020 5:12 PM MDT

Oh, my -- this is nice! Never heard it before.
    And I don't think I've ever seen Armatrading before - - either a picture or performing. Gosh -  I swear I wonder what's up with me sometimes. I certainly know her name. But I know I've never known what she's looked like. I don't know why.

This song in wonderful to me at this moment.
    I love her understated performance and style -- makes it all the more powerful to me. 
    Wow.
    I loved watching that and listening.
      May 11, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

•   May 5, 2020 9:22 PM MDT

No, Welby; not A song, MANY songs make me think that. and if I start now, I may be able to have a preliminary list ready for you by Friday.
      May 5, 2020 10:37 PM MDT

I agree with Ismael. I don’t believe anyone who considers himself or herself a music lover could answer this by naming one particular song that fits this bill.  In my case alone, it’s 100% impossible to do, because every song that I like makes me think, “This is such a good song.”  If it’s not a good song in my opinion, I wouldn’t like it, and if I do t like it, I won’t think it’s a good song. Catch 22. 

~
      May 5, 2020 11:02 PM MDT

You're not alone -- Randy D agrees with you and I can see why -- I was unclear with my word choice in my question and even unclear in my added description up there in the box -- I meant to mean -- 'Even though we like a lot of songs, do certain songs 'stick out in your mind as particularly good?' " To me, my added description in that box up there made sense at the time. I can see why it doesn't.
    Sorry for the confusion.
      May 11, 2020 5:18 PM MDT

Welby, my friend, I don’t believe anyone who considers himself or herself a music lover could answer this by naming one particular song that fits this bill.  In my case alone, it’s 100% impossible to do, because every song that I like makes me think, “This is such a good song.”  
      If it’s not a good song in my opinion, I wouldn’t like it, and if I do t like it, I won’t think it’s a good song. Catch 22. 

~
      May 5, 2020 11:03 PM MDT

You're not alone -- CallMeIshmael agrees with you and I can see why -- I was unclear with my word choice in my question and even unclear in my added description up there in the box -- I meant to mean -- 'Even though we like a lot of songs, do certain songs 'stick out in your mind as particularly good?' " To me, my added description in that box up there made sense at the time. I can see why it doesn't.
    Sorry for the confusion.

And I realize this is the same reply that I wrote to CallMeIshameal, other than respectively changing your names, but you both brought up similar points.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 11, 2020 7:23 PM MDT
      May 11, 2020 5:21 PM MDT

May 11, 2020 5:29 PM MDT

I've never heard this song like this - - I get it now -- someone took everything out but the vocals - - WOW!!
    Damn!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 11, 2020 7:23 PM MDT
      May 11, 2020 5:31 PM MDT

I know right?
      May 11, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

So, is Mercury the only singer in all of their songs? And he just sings all the parts separately in the studio and they mix them altogether to sound like more than one singer? If so, I am an effin idiot and have been my entire life.

Don't worry, though - - it's OK if that is the truth about all the tight vocal harmonies on Queen songs. I can handle it. I've always assumed it was all of them singing.

And maybe I'm assuming the wrong thing anyway -- I saw somewhere where it said this was only Mercury's vocals or something.
      May 11, 2020 5:37 PM MDT

I found one other song. I'll post it in a few minutes.
      May 11, 2020 5:38 PM MDT