Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Which COVID19-related, pandemic-related, lockdown-related, isolation-related platitudes are you sick of hearing?

Which COVID19-related, pandemic-related, lockdown-related, isolation-related platitudes are you sick of hearing?

For me, it’s got to be, “we’re all in this together”.  Ugggh. 

Posted - May 17, 2020

Responses

I agree.  "We all in this together." 

And "Keeping you safe in this new normal" 

Definately getting old. 
      May 17, 2020 8:54 AM MDT

The new normal is awful. 
      May 17, 2020 9:13 AM MDT

Some silly stuff like "I thought I had coronavirus disease but doc said it was just cancer"

Or Corona beer changing their brand name to Ebola Extra 
      May 17, 2020 9:15 AM MDT

I have to agree with you.  Then again, there are any number of other phrases that we hear constantly that irritate me, i.e., on a police procedural when a victim is shot and the police officer tells them, "Stay with me."  Where the heck are they going to go?
      May 17, 2020 10:35 AM MDT

They could leave their body.
      May 17, 2020 3:13 PM MDT

It's the police officer who's saying, "Stay with me," not the victim.
      May 18, 2020 8:27 AM MDT

I guess I always thought the officer was saying that to the victim, as in saying "Stay alive, don't die, stay with me."
      May 20, 2020 10:39 AM MDT

That is how I have always thought as well.
      May 20, 2020 12:36 PM MDT

That's exactly what I meant.  Not sure how this got misunderstood.
      May 21, 2020 8:12 AM MDT

All of Trumps words.

May 17, 2020 3:10 PM MDT

Ha!
    :)
      May 20, 2020 10:39 AM MDT

Very much to the contrary of everyone so far, I don't find those words a platitude at all. I've pretty much tried to live my life that way for my entire life.

I believe those words are true for all of us no matter what's going on day by day, year by year.

I believe if we, as a human species, within so-called civilized societies, actually remembered that we are all in this together, we'd all live better with each other. We, indeed, ARE together in this thing called life and it's about time we all realized it.

In many situations over the years, I've often thought of Rodney King -  - after what he went through - - and then after all those riots - - HE was the person imploring everyone, "Can't we get along?"

I don't mean to sound preachy. Ha!
    :)
      May 20, 2020 10:48 AM MDT

They didn’t start out as platitudes, they have become platitudes by being overused or used incorrectly or used out of context with their original meanings.

~

May 20, 2020 10:51 AM MDT

Yeah, I get your point about the words possibly being overused. I figure, again, though, I don't exactly comprehend the intricacy of your question. Or, maybe I don't find those words are a platitude for me.

For me as an individual person, I still think of these words as workable and caring and helpful for me in my fears within the context of COVID19.
    It's much better than "Hey - - you're on your own. Deal with it."  And I realize you're not saying anything like that with your question or your reply to me. :)

Long story, short -- "We're all in this together," platitude or not, helps me stay a bit more calm and I'm not tired of hearing it.

I've been trying to think of other potential platitudes that might irk me but I guess I may not have any - - the closest may be the one my2cents mentioned "new normal."

Randy D - - I admit, like I have shared here recently, I'm not so happy with my communication abilities on the site lately. :) Heck, even my comprehension abilities aren't so hot sometimes. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 20, 2020 12:37 PM MDT
      May 20, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

Personally, I always understand your posts, I’ve never once thought you were being mean or demeaning or mean-spirited or disrespectful or insulting or any other type of negativity with anything you’ve written on these pages to any person about any topic. That includes instances when you were expressing disagreement with another’s point. You are always polite and tactful, a very pleasant person with whom to interact. I do think you beat yourself up too much when you apologize for having unintentionally offended someone, which puzzles me, because I‘ve never perceived any offense from you. You communicate well, I don’t think you should second-guess yourself so much. 

One man’s opinion.

May 20, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

I really appreciate that Randy D, thanks! :)

I have friends in my outside-the-internet "3-D" life that often tell me the same thing about second-guessing myself. I'm getting somewhat better at avoiding the second-guessing. Sort of. Sometimes. :)

Other friends here on the site, too, have said some similar helpful things to me. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 22, 2020 6:55 PM MDT
      May 22, 2020 6:30 PM MDT