Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak

How big is God

A child of 7 asked this question. He is into space and astronomy. What's a good answer for him? He is Catholic. He wants to know if God is as big as one of the planets or the sun. 

Posted - October 1, 2016

Responses

• Tell him he is as big as the Death Star.
      October 1, 2016 12:16 PM MDT

• Tell them he's as infinitely large as he is infinitesimally small.  They'll get it. 
      October 1, 2016 12:18 PM MDT

I have to watch that movie on Netflix. It's on my list. Thanks! 
      October 1, 2016 12:18 PM MDT

• You're welcome?
      October 1, 2016 12:27 PM MDT

God gave us the bible to tell us about Him. It is not reliable to ask people to tell you what the bible says. Many people will make up stuff because they don't know what it says, and many will make up stuff because they wish it would not say what it says. You just have to read it for yourself. Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place by just looking at a calendar. There is no religion or nothing in Proverbs and you don't have to believe anything. Just read to find comfort and confidence. When you are comfortable with that, then read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians.

God is not "big" as we think of bigness, He is the God of rightness. So you are asking "How big is rightness?" We have no measure for that. This post was edited by Not Sure at October 1, 2016 2:02 PM MDT
      October 1, 2016 12:24 PM MDT

tell Him that there is nowhere that God isn't
      October 1, 2016 2:00 PM MDT

• I would say to a seven year old that if you can take all of the planets, and all of the galaxies, and suns and moons, and comets, and constellations, . . all of that circles around on the tip of one of God's pinkie fingers. 
      October 1, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

very nice
      October 1, 2016 2:04 PM MDT

It is not nice to bs a kid. If you don't know (which you don't), be honest and say so.
      October 1, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

• I understand what you say, I would rather give him as many years of bliss and happiness, as I can. The world will teach him the. Rest soon enough. 
      October 1, 2016 2:41 PM MDT

• Really Big. So absolutely huge.
      October 1, 2016 3:30 PM MDT

• Oh, you're mocking.
      October 1, 2016 6:52 PM MDT

• I spent much of my youth in Catholic schools. It was exactly like that.
      October 1, 2016 7:00 PM MDT

too big
      October 1, 2016 8:45 PM MDT

If you can't explain it to a 7-year old then you don't understand it yourself! I pinched that from a quote by a very clever man.
    So, I would say:
    "Believers say that GOD is everything and everywhere at the same time, so he is very, very big!
    Why?
    It means that GOD is AT LEAST as big as the observable universe, which is 93 BILLION light years across.
    That said, clearly the WHOLE universe must be even larger because some parts of the universe are too far away for the light emitted since the Big Bang to have had enough time to reach Earth, so we cannot see it!"

If the kid asks more questions, I would explain it in more detail but that might give him something to chew on for a while. This post was edited by Grasshopper at October 2, 2016 4:17 AM MDT
      October 2, 2016 4:14 AM MDT

"The house that I am building will be great, for our God is greater than all the other gods. And who is up to the task of building him a house? For the heavens and the heaven of the heavens cannot contain him," (2chronicles 2:5,6)
      December 20, 2016 12:28 AM MST